Author Topic: Project 1065  (Read 14394 times)

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
Re: Project 1065
« Reply #30 on: 17.02. 2016 20:15 »
  More or less done except for joining the outer case to it.

The slots ended up long as initially the two top socket caps were inaccessable behind the clutch. This also involved two eccentric supports . The whole thing can now move with the box to get the belt tension right.

Bit of a shame it won't be visable but a least I can fib and tell the purists its all standard under there.

Have not fitted the centre sleeve/bearing yet as I'm making  an alternator support and fitting the primary case.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #31 on: 17.02. 2016 23:40 »
Your idea to add an out rider bearing to support the clutch is a good one.
One of the areas the BSA group triples outshone the nortons in racing was that the triples run bearings both sides of the rear primary cush drive, a very robust solution; whereas norton were notorious for gearbox issues as the mainshaft lacked adequate support. On the IOM this meant the nortons typically dnf'd in the heat of battle leaving the typically triumph badged BSA group triples to clean up.
Once you start generating some power bracing up the mainshaft is going to reduce your mainshaft flex .
There's a very good utub video about the Peter Williams JPS campaign on the IOM and the grief they had. 

Now whats this about me moaning  *whistle*, I'm just pragmatic.

Keep up the good work.
Tim

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #32 on: 24.02. 2016 20:47 »
 I think I had to do it really RR. These boxes are pretty tough but the clutch overhangs by miles and this motor should give it a good test.

I believe it's  a common mod with big and tweaked A65 s.

A bit of progress with the alternator thingy but some whittling left to do. Makes a nice billet fruit bowl.

Not really sure how it will all fit together [the pages that tell you how to seem to be missing from my haynes manual ] so make it up as I go.

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #33 on: 01.03. 2016 20:21 »
 Milled some out of the fruit bowl so bananas should now fit in horizontally [can't test as Minions have had them away]. This also allows the belt to fit over the pulley.

The cut down outer case I planned on using as a spacer is not thick enough so swiped the cover from my other bike to see what it would look like--I don't think it looks too bad and would be easier and quicker to fit another case like this than machining a thicker spacer.
 Would use some proper high tensile string, not the nylon stuff I mocked up with.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #34 on: 02.03. 2016 09:00 »
Starting to look like a real BSA. Bits Stuck Anywhere. Only kidding mate. Imagine down the pub and someone asks what's done to it. Make a list and pass it to them. Save about 6 hours.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 02.03. 2016 12:52 »
Not sure about that chain case, looks almost Enfield in origin?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #36 on: 02.03. 2016 15:36 »
Very tidy though !! love it
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #37 on: 04.03. 2016 20:19 »
 Have decided to go with the Enfield primary, always liked the clean lines and always desired a late Interceptor but as this is a Bsa page I wont mention that.

It is easier to say what has not been modified rather than what has, and you could argue the motor is more A65 than A10 now [what A10 owner has not pondered this ?, usually in the middle of rocker box assembly ]

As this is a friendly site I don't need to worry about being chased out of town by a baying mob with flaming torches waving pitchforks and parts books at me.........
.....  unless i buy a triumph  .

Made a rear light/ no plate bracket- could be thinned down a bit and corners rounded off if time permits. The doubler plate could also be extended to support the plate more. It was fitted originally to avoid shortening  the socket caps but will help to reinforce and prevent cracks.

A nice primary case arrived from Hitchcocks today .

Offline bodger

• Moving Up
« Reply #38 on: 16.03. 2016 06:59 »
reaaallllly interesting, 'toolroom' specials are my favorite.

I love it, it looks great.

If I recall over the past 40 years or so every once in a while someone pops up with an announcement that they are casting up some fabulous A-10 alloy barrels...but it may just be my imagination.

With all the many reproductions going on, J.A.P., Vincent, G50 Manx, Gold Star and A65  and the like one might think there would be a market for spiffy alloy barrels.

Now with the modern ability to digitize and scan a part, and the ability to then alter the design to create a digital file for the larger casting plug itself, and then make the plug with a  3D printer, you'd think they would be available like fish n chips.

This is quite a beast

Keep at it danma, this is terrific, great job.

And don't worry about this guy  *contract* I got yer back  *fight*

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #39 on: 17.03. 2016 21:34 »
 The notion of my chaotic shed as a toolroom is amusing. If nothing can be put down without causing an avalanche it may soon be time to tidy up.

You are right on the barrels though- it should be easy to get something done in this day and age but sadly there are too few willing to sort it or put the money up front.
 Racers and special builders will always pounce on such things but the average owners are often sceptical of new fangled stuff.

More progress

Having the  Enfield inner case is useful as it has a groove for a seal which you just bend your strip of ally to fit. The last bit is tricky if like me you only have three pairs of hands [ evolutionary thing related to long term rockerbox fumbling] although I was able to use the mill as a large g clamp which helped.

A few brackets welded on  and it fits ok  Looks a bit fat from some angles but is about the same width at the front as the old one.

The rear brake pedal was very carefully and with much precision bent to the required new shape --   then welded back together again and the old worn clevis replaced with a stainless rose joint.

Dry build complete--just got to tidy up so I have some room to clean up and build the motor.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: 17.03. 2016 23:13 »
Looking very good. I hope you will record a video of the beast running. I'm looking forward to it!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #41 on: 18.03. 2016 07:33 »
That looks PHAT mate.
I'd so be tempted to flare her up for a test ride before pulling it all back down  *bash*.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 18.03. 2016 08:58 »
Has a slightly menacing stance in that last pick I think. Certainly purposeful. Liking it.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 18.03. 2016 09:37 »
Has a slightly menacing stance in that last pick I think. Certainly purposeful. Liking it.

yeah, looks almost 'Streetfighter'.. *ex* *smile*

*slight edit 'loos'>'looks'
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #44 on: 18.03. 2016 09:48 »
Fantastic skills. Congrats.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"