Author Topic: missed last chance to see the Vulcan flying.  (Read 250 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
missed last chance to see the Vulcan flying.
« on: 22.09. 2015 12:31 »
I'm really ***** off with myself for missing what will be the last chance of seeing the Avro Vulcan , she was at the Southport airshow on the Saturday and I didn't go forgot completely .I've seen the utube footage which was great but sadly not the same !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GpzTCiYkLM
She's being grounded and turned into the centre piece for a static display at Robin hood airport ( Nottingham ) so I found out have a look at what I missed.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: missed last chance to see the Vulcan flying.
« Reply #1 on: 22.09. 2015 12:48 »
I was lucky enough to see her flying at this years Fairford RIATT. If I heard the commentary correctly if alternative technical sponsors can be found she could still fly. He said the flying hours are not the problem and spare engines are available. Let's keep fingers crossed.

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.09. 2015 10:19 »
I may have missed it here, and I guess the answer is out there ... but what was the thinking behind grounding the plane? Operating costs, component/air frame service life? Seems odd given that Spitfires just seem to go on and on (and yeah, accepted that they are a somewhat simpler beast).
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.09. 2015 11:12 »
I may have missed it here, and I guess the answer is out there ... but what was the thinking behind grounding the plane? Operating costs, component/air frame service life? Seems odd given that Spitfires just seem to go on and on (and yeah, accepted that they are a somewhat simpler beast).

See my comment ^

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 25.09. 2015 13:51 »
Sorry, got it. Perhaps we should be subbing that up rather than all that air ambulance stuff?
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 25.09. 2015 14:25 »
but what was the thinking behind grounding the plane?
It was flown by a Charity -Vulcan to the Sky- or something like that, funds just not forthcoming any more from some of the backers.
It would be quite a lot to keep it in the sky I guess, remember this was built to fly at altitude then adopted a low level role later in it's life so probably his would have entailed modification to wings which (guessing mode on) might be more expensive to maintain than if an original spec.
no doubt if limitless funds were available there would be plenty willing hands to keep it up.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco