Author Topic: Tappets  (Read 1618 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Tappets
« Reply #15 on: 24.09. 2015 00:23 »

Yes they are in fact cam followers/Lifters, first shot from '49-'53 spares book, second from 'circa '58' (disc)book ....
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 24.09. 2015 09:43 »
This does seem to be the most specific use of the word tappet in relation to one part.
It will always be used in a more general term though
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 24.09. 2015 10:04 »
I'm with GB - I always figured them for the lifters/followers.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 24.09. 2015 11:08 »

Ok I just remembered that other than some time holding spanners for my Dad on the farm pre ten yo, the earliest experience I had with engines was my neighbours owned the local garage, and they had a '32 A model ford they used as a scrub-basher....being a side valve, the valve lash was adjusted if I recall (or am making up as I go 'long), behind a side-plate on the block....tappet adjustment was above the cam followers/lifters... *????*, so at the time the two were kind of closely associated, as they were if I recall on the side valve Beezas M20/21, I only had one WM20 for a short time and never had it running.
 A reasonably easy case for not giving thought to some things *dunno2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline larryc

• Moving Up
  • Back into BSA after 45 years!
« Reply #19 on: 02.10. 2015 15:05 »
Whatever they are now called, I will still set the 'tappet's' with a feeler gauge, I am a bit old school but the parts will always be to me... cam... cam followers... push rod.... tappets set in the rockers... then valve stem   ;)

mucky hands again, great!

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #20 on: 02.10. 2015 16:17 »
I am a bit old school but the parts will always be to me... cam... cam followers... push rod.... tappets set in the rockers... then valve stem
Well, that is also the terminology that I am familiar with so you are not alone, although there is room for confusion. BSA actually describe the cam followers as tappets in the spare parts manual. However in the RGS owners manual it says "Remove the tappet inspection covers (A) Fig. 4" It then goes on to describe how to set the valve clearances. "If adjustment is necessary Hold the tappet head (B) and slacken the lock nut (C). The tappet head (B) should then be moved up or down until the space between the end of the valve stem and tappet head is only just sufficient for the feeler gauge to enter. Retain the tappet head in this position and tighten the locknut securely against the rocker arm". Note that the illustration from the ownwers manual is titled: Tappet adjustment and Ignition setting. Just sayin' just sayin'
John