Author Topic: Do the Ton.  (Read 4858 times)

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
Re: Do the Ton.
« Reply #30 on: 30.09. 2015 11:26 »
Imperial measures, and system, is as dead as the British motorcycle and car industry…
(still a little bit in use, but is struggling and grinding to a hold over time).

The problem with the imperial measurement system, is the lack of an easy link between length, volume, weight etc.
Try to build a container in imperial measurement, calculate the volume, fill it with water and calculate the weight. Hurrah….
Try to ad size together 3/16”+15/32”+11/64”+1 ¾”+1´5 ¾”  =  ? 
Or add: 3mm + 3,2mm +1,3 m. dead easy = 1306,20    you can do that with ease…

The mad issue arise from the lack of a 10 decade link in the Imperial system:
1 foot = 12 inch   3 foot = 1 yard   1 Mile = 1760 yard or 1 Gallon = 277,4196 cubic inch. 
Changing from gallon/min. to yard3/min.   of inch3/min.  "Bon appetit"”
Oh my god a quirky and odd system

And when it comes to energy the matter is screaming mad.

BTU, HP and various other odd measurement.   And imperial torque   

The only reason the TON is interesting, is that the old bikes can´t do 200 km/h.

Do I hate imperial measurements ?

No it is ok as an historic system, grow together from ancients logic. It is good to know.
Is it a system for the future ? No
It will fade out after 3-4 more generations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units

Metric system:   A logic system bound together with 10 decades. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

The metric system has few odd things, like seconds is a system with 60 units and degrees is pi/180 rad.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 30.09. 2015 11:54 »
Thanks for the explanation. All the things you've mentioned are very good points. NOW, will you agree that metric is dead?  I will add my new knowledge about the metric system as text at the bottom of my engineering degree. *smile*

So, I guess you want the "METRIC TONNE" for 160.9 kph. Heard at the bar: "Welcome to the Metric Tonne-Up Club mate."

Oh, we need to add three days to the week: Richardsday, Beezerday and Spannerday.

Metric system:   A logic system bound together with 10 decades. 
Imperial system: A logic system bound together by 5000 years.

Richard L.

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #32 on: 30.09. 2015 14:12 »
Metric system: A logic system bound together with 10 decades. Designed by engineers to make the world efficient, easy and  for the use of easy to ordinary people.

Imperial system: A system designed by weird farmers and wild men with buckets, thumbs and odd feet, to please a feudal society, and to keep knowledge away from the ordinary man.

A medieval system designed to be as difficult as possible, and to keep the logic away from ordinary people and users.

“Imperial system: A logic system bound together by 5000 years.”    Where is the logic ?

5000 years ago in Europe we paddled around in hollowed out tree logs. We do not do that anymore  *beer*

We progress, develop, eradicates and move away from stone age technology, and use a modern and efficient measurement systems… called the Metric system, and use SI units…for engineering…

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #33 on: 30.09. 2015 14:24 »
While we're off subject, sorry e  *pull hair out*  anyone know what this measure is?
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 30.09. 2015 14:45 »
So Viking, is it a 21 tooth or a 19 tooth sprocket that you have on the gearbox?  You mentioned in another thread that it was a 21 tooth but in this thread you mentioned that it is a stock gearbox sprocket. Stock is 19 for the SR.  This could be your problem if both the engine and gearbox sprockets are oversized.

Glen

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 30.09. 2015 15:02 »
Viking,

ROFL *lol*

To appease the metric gods, I believe all the streets in London and Paris should be bulldozed and revised to occur in squares that are 100 meters per side.

Wozza,

Maybe, fathometer? If Viking's ancestors had tried to use this with the metric system they would have run aground and never reached North America.

Worntorn,

How dare you address the original subject?

Richard L.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 30.09. 2015 15:24 »
While we're off subject, sorry e  *pull hair out*  anyone know what this measure is?

When I moved into BTs Planning Office there was a set of those chains, (that is what the length is called; a 'Chain') in the store cupboard. They were no longer being used.

The Chain survives as the length of a cricket pitch, being the distance between the stumps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_%28unit%29
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 30.09. 2015 15:35 »
5000 years ago in Europe we paddled around in hollowed out tree logs.
And rode BSA's  >:D
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Sandy

• Active
  • OriginalRocker
« Reply #38 on: 30.09. 2015 16:31 »
Re all the stuff about metric being God's own gift etc. When I were a lad and gainfully engaged in the Standards Room Inspection Dept of a major automotive parts company, we had the job of overseeing the changeover from Imperial to Metric measurement. I well remember the British Standards release on the subject that declared "In Enginering the unit of measurement will be the millimetre"i.e  there will, in engineering be no metres, centimetres, decimetres, kilometres and all the rest of them. This  is fine if you are making, as we were, disc brake calipers, but if you're building 200,000 ton supertankers.......? (Where d'ya say the decimal point went again?) Manageable numbers, anybody?
Regards
Sandy

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 30.09. 2015 17:14 »
If god had intended us to use a base of ten it would not have been the length of a man's ARM that became a cubit
work that one out big boy *whistle*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #40 on: 30.09. 2015 17:33 »
 "1 Gallon = 277,4196 cubic inch" 
Would that be a gallon of 8 Proper English Beers or a short American one, Viking? 160 or 128 fl oz even (whatever one of those weighs, in water or anything else)?
Quirky indeed - but there are those who will insist on staying on their Perch or up their Pole - perhaps to argue the true definition of a Gill!
Bill

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 30.09. 2015 17:39 »

I think it's known as a shitload.

From all aspects the descriptions of the Imperial system seem enormously attractive to me. Sadly, and with apologies, I prefer working on Metric bikes. As ever - 'I'll get me coat'.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 30.09. 2015 19:54 »
What does this have to do with motorcycles?

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #43 on: 30.09. 2015 19:55 »
Sorry to get back on the subject, but when I feel the need to "Do the Ton" I jump on my 900 Ninja.  If anyone ever asked, I'd lie and tell them that I've done it and leave it at that.  Personally I see it as "Everything to Lose and Nothing to Gain Proposition" by wringing it out.  Riding it can be an adventure at half that speed (on most of the roads around here). 

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #44 on: 30.09. 2015 20:10 »
buy a fireblade or fit  an indian speedo if you reach the ton think about the bean can brakes