Author Topic: Do the Ton.  (Read 4854 times)

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Do the Ton.
« Reply #45 on: 30.09. 2015 22:09 »
What does this have to do with motorcycles?

All about being queer Richard... ;D
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #46 on: 30.09. 2015 23:45 »
While we're off subject, sorry e  *pull hair out*  anyone know what this measure is?

When I moved into BTs Planning Office there was a set of those chains, (that is what the length is called; a 'Chain') in the store cupboard. They were no longer being used.

The Chain survives as the length of a cricket pitch, being the distance between the stumps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_%28unit%29

Well done Greybeard...  *yeah* actually it's called a Gunter's chain... with 100 links.. = 22 yards = 66 feet...  10 chains to a Furlong...
enough of this foolery...   back on subject...   *whistle*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #47 on: 01.10. 2015 00:08 »
What does this have to do with motorcycles?

All about being queer Richard... ;D

I'm not judging (or winking, in this case, even if it would be the correct emoticon).

Richard L.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #48 on: 01.10. 2015 00:30 »
http://www.astrodigital.org/space/stshorse.html

brings to mind the reason the spaceshuttle was based on the size of a horses idiot...
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #49 on: 01.10. 2015 01:53 »
If god had intended us to use a base of ten it would not have been the length of a man's ARM that became a cubit
work that one out big boy *whistle*

The ten fingers and ten toes were supposed to be big hints of how we should develop of measuring system, but man being the screw up he is, went stomping around using his foot to measure everything.

Still doing that in undeveloped parts of th world *smile*

Glen

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #50 on: 01.10. 2015 02:25 »
 Some women accuse SOME men of over exaggerate the length of OTHER body parts. ::hh::
thus the metric system was invented by a woman  ..      *whistle*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #51 on: 01.10. 2015 10:22 »

If god had intended us to use a base of ten it would not have been the length of a man's ARM that became a cubit
work that one out big boy *whistle*

^^^...
Noah..I WANT YOU TO BUILD AN ARK......!!
 noah...riiigght...
noah; waht's an ark...??......^^^..."an ark is;- oh never mind..." ....
^^^I want you to build it ***cubits, by *** cubits, by *** cubits...>noah;- what's a cubit...????...and so on ...Bill Cosby..!

Ok, I thought Wozzas pic was something to do with Knots...if I recall, a link of a chain is about eight inches (that's a hell chain), and I haven't researched that;- next thing we need to get straight is: a "METER", is an instrument or device for MEASURING increments of stuff....
 a "METRE", is a measure of distance.... *ex* *ex* *ex*...OK..and I'll be back when I remember why I'm here *conf*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #52 on: 01.10. 2015 12:22 »
I think some blokes are getting just too technical.!
This song is what the Ton is all about - Mike Sarne's "Just for Kicks".
Who gives a toss about metric.
Back in 1960 when the Ton was almost unobtainable, it was every decent Rockers only aim in life.!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBm_Sc4buY0

Cheers
Colsbeeza
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #53 on: 01.10. 2015 12:52 »
Dutch,

I knew immediately what you were quoting. Sad how Cosby could be so funny while being a sh*thead.

Colsbeeza,

His "bird" must have been a parakeet if doing the Ton on a period British bike. (Maybe, a Vincent Black Shadow?)

Richard L.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #54 on: 01.10. 2015 12:54 »
So the old Rocker gets out his bike
to make a ton before he takes his leave.
Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
just like it used to be.
And as he flies --- tears in his eyes ---
his wind-whipped words echo the final take
and he hits the trunk road doing around 120
with no room left to brake.

I don't think that metric could do that justice.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #55 on: 02.10. 2015 16:16 »
i ve no room left to brake at 40mph let alone 120mph. thats what keeps my speed down.
however i have been reading old roadtests  and the 1958 was good for 109mph and the 500cc shooting star top speed 93mph . the rocket on test was probably fitted with a tt9 carb rather than monobloc and 9-1 pistons.also running 100 octane fuel but 98 is available so shouldnt make much difference.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #56 on: 02.10. 2015 20:15 »

(Maybe, a Vincent Black Shadow?)
......or a Black Lightning  *smile*

"1 Gallon = 277,4196 cubic inch"
Would that be a gallon of 8 Proper English Beers or a short American one, Viking? 160 or 128 fl oz even (whatever one of those weighs, in water or anything else)?

Well the Poms had a go at metricating (before modern metric) in the 1820's (if i recall...), when they changed the gallon to weigh ten pounds instead of eight...16oz's = 1 pound, but to still retain 8 pints per gallon- that's why a New Imperial pint is 20 oz's and a U.S. pint is 16 oz's- they didn't change *conf*.....but it gets more complicated with quarts, as if I recall again, the Scots, French and Canadians have slightly different versions, same as the Canadian fluid oz's also vary slightly when converted to metric (apparently)

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #57 on: 02.10. 2015 21:18 »
Dutch,

This raises two questions from me:

1. How old were you in the 1820s?
2. Am I being shortchanged 4 oz. when I order a pint of beer here in the U.S.? ...or should I just order a gallon?

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #58 on: 04.10. 2015 09:24 »

Answer(1)...almost 200years older than I am now *eek*
 Answer (2)...sorry, but yes; maybe some incentive to catch up at least one step *smile*
 When I first saw wozzas piccie, I thought it was a knot. .. *conf*
  And I meant to add this before my previous post..
The problem with the imperial measurement system, is the lack of an easy link between length, volume, weight etc.
Try to build a container in imperial measurement, calculate the volume, fill it with water and calculate the weight. Hurrah….
Try to ad size together 3/16”+15/32”+11/64”+1 ¾”+1´5 ¾”  =  ?  

6,1/4 gallons in one cubic foot of water (if I recall )=should be 62.25lbs.... Not that hard. .. *eek*
 When I went to school we had these things called "common denominators"...For doing fractions.
 Metric is good for most things but I still use imperial for some things- like calculating size of a water tank in gallons...
Australia

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #59 on: 04.10. 2015 20:12 »
The ease of the metric system is hard to beat.
Like one liter of water is 1 kg. (At room temperature)
One ton of water is 1000 kg or 1000 liter or 1m3

Adding meter, parts of meters like "µ" meter, cm, mm, km together is so easy that even a child
can do it.
Understanding that water freeze at 0°C and boils at 100°C .... Everybody can remember...

I lived in the UK for some years, and talking with palls about weight and lengths, and the combination between the two Units. They were completely lost when it came to imperial measures and units....

It is not easy for a nation to change from imperial to metric, it takes time, but over one or two generations the UK is full metric....

The majority of engineering parts is sold in metric measurements, meat and dairy produce is sold in the metric measure system IN THE UK today..
Carpets is sold in m2 , fuel is sold in liters, water is sold in m3, Energy is sold in kWh ect. In the UK
The UK is going metric. (And Eire for that matter)...

But we (and I) still like our BSA in Imperial measurement...

19" rims, 7/8 handlebar, 3 or 4 gall fuel tank. Possible to do the Ton :-) , not 200 km/h
:-)

That is part of BSA being a long gone historic brand.

Like Imperial measurements is part of a soon gone historic system.... Like it not. That is the way
things are moving....

Impossible one generation ago, reality for the generation growing up now, in England...

Could be the "dude" or youth in the tune was on about the bike doing close to 200 km/h (120 mph)

The geezer was metric, just not knowing it. :-)

With nice pics. :

http://youtu.be/l3TVEH1DPbg

PS. Will I change my BSA odometer from miles to km/h. .?. Never...
It was born in Birmingham with Miles on the clock, and it will stay that way...as an historic thing of the past.

It will fight to do the Ton to the end of time. ( it will newer reach 200 km/h anyway ).
MY old trusty Imperial bike, made of iron, by men of steel...