Author Topic: push rod guide tool....Nah!...lollypop sticks will do!  (Read 278 times)

Offline larryc

• A's Best Friend
  • Back into BSA after 45 years!
I have just been reading the post on which bits are called tappets and it reminded me of when I broke down on my A10 in Preston in about 1972, for some reason I had to remove the rocker box, so re-fitting without the pushrod guide tool was a heck of a job, I searched for and found half a dozen lollypop sticks (these and matchsticks were as common as chewing gum remnants are now) these were used to hold the rods in place as I lowered the rocker box.... happy days and fond memories!

mucky hands again, great!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: push rod guide tool....Nah!...lollypop sticks will do!
« Reply #1 on: 02.10. 2015 16:58 »
Back in the day we had to try to get going again without help; we couldn't afford a roadside breakdown/recovery service. Nowadays I have my mobile in my pocket and if it looks like more than a simple job I will call out the get-me-home service. I haven't had to do this yet. Problem then might be telling them where I am cos I've been daydreaming listening to the exhaust note rattling off the landscape without taking note of the last village I passed through!  ;D

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.10. 2015 20:00 »
lollypop sticks

Think I mentioned this before, those beverage stirrers you get in coffee shops have a multitude of uses around the shed, they malnourished lollipop sticks, and are free if you've got a deep pocket, mind the price they charge for stuff they can afford to lose a few
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.10. 2015 20:51 »
malnourished lollipop sticks
  *good3*

On the subject I have found a piece of wire with a hook bent on the end and a LED torch to be my favourite
pushrod tool

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.10. 2015 18:36 »
I have done it with just my fingers - sitting on the bike leaning it around and feeling the push rods in. I must have been desperate ... and had fingers a whole lot more dextrous than they are now.

I've mentioned it before but there a was a guy used to write for one of the classic monthlies who had a technique that involved holding the rods in position with some short lengths of hose. Meant avoiding half the sealing compound coming out with the comb. Kicking myself now for not taking more notice of the article.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza