Author Topic: A10 plunger oil tank  (Read 873 times)

Offline bigjohn

• Moving Up
A10 plunger oil tank
« on: 03.10. 2015 14:14 »
Hi all - must be a senior moment but after I blasted the outside of my 55 plunger A10 oil tank until it was mint and de-rusting the inside until you could eat your dinner off it, I suddenly noticed the lack of a metal, internal oil return pipe which normally exits at the inside of the filler cap on most tanks. Not being an expert on A10's, should there be one? Now I know what the answer is likely to be, but after spending so much time on the tank, I just wanted to make sure. I am wondering if it is possible to insert a pipe into the return hole (held in with perhaps Araldite) and then attach the top of it to the inside of the filler neck. What do you think?

Regards

John.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A10 plunger oil tank
« Reply #1 on: 03.10. 2015 23:52 »
 There should be one a bit further in than right at the filler hole; did you poke a piece of wire in the return coupling and see where it goes...??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 04.10. 2015 20:35 »
There definitely should be one.
Seems logic as the return line outlet sits very close to the feed line inlet. There's a lot of air bubbles coming back and if there wasn't a pipe, they would get sucked back in, leading to a very insufficient oil feed. For that matter I would solder or braze one in. If your araldite lets go... *eek*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 04.10. 2015 21:52 »
don't know if the plungers rocker feed is different to s/a but isn't the hole in the side near the top of the pipe of a size that restricts the flow and encourages oil up to the rockers
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.10. 2015 23:36 »
 My return pipe is in from the hole, you may need to get down further and look in as per pic (needs a bright light), and the breather pipe is further back.

Bill, I seem to recall reading that somewhere recently *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bigjohn

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 05.10. 2015 08:57 »
Thanks everyone for your input. The two photos show that my return pipe is in fact missing. I have the breather pipe. I can see how the return pipe would fit into the recessed hole at the bottom of the tank. It would be impossible, I think, to braze the new pipe into the hole unless I open up a panel in the tank for access and weld/braze that up again. I need to start looking for a suitable sized pipe before my next move. Will keep you informed.

Regards

John.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 05.10. 2015 11:36 »
Thanks everyone for your input. The two photos show that my return pipe is in fact missing. I have the breather pipe. I can see how the return pipe would fit into the recessed hole at the bottom of the tank. It would be impossible, I think, to braze the new pipe into the hole unless I open up a panel in the tank for access and weld/braze that up again. I need to start looking for a suitable sized pipe before my next move. Will keep you informed.

Regards

John.

I recently changed the oil tank on my Plunger A10 due to a slight leak somewhere on the rear. Since it's been on the shelf in my garage I have managed to make a small dent in it.  *sad2* If you feel that sorting it out might be easier than fixing your one you are welcome to have it.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bigjohn

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 05.10. 2015 17:10 »
Message to Greybeard - thanks for the offer. It will I am sure be easier than cutting into my present tank. I have an idea that may or not work with my tank. Let me see that to it's conclusion, if no good I would be very grateful for your tank. I will of course give you something for it and pay the postage.

Thanks

John.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 05.10. 2015 17:28 »
...if no good I would be very grateful for your tank.

Private message sent
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 05.10. 2015 17:30 »
Where are you located BigJohn?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline bigjohn

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 06.10. 2015 12:30 »
Hi Graybeard - located in Stoke on Trent. thanks again for the offer, I will let you know.

John.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 06.10. 2015 13:02 »
Not too far from me in Leamington Spa.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #12 on: 06.10. 2015 21:28 »
It would be impossible, I think, to braze the new pipe into the hole unless I open up a panel in the tank for access and weld/braze that up again. I need to start looking for a suitable sized pipe before my next move. Will keep you informed.

Hi, I used a guy called Ray Petit located in near J26 M1 - north Notts area who is an expert at taking tanks apart, fixing and re-welding up and pressure testing!  Not been there for a couple of years but may be worth punt. R/R

Offline bigjohn

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 11.10. 2015 10:48 »
Hi all - managed to make and fit a new pipe  that seems to be ok. Will let you know for sure once I get the bike running. Thanks again for everyones input

BigJohn.