Author Topic: Why do people behave like this?  (Read 669 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Why do people behave like this?
« on: 04.10. 2015 15:13 »
Taking advantage of the still fine weather (although if the MET Office have got it right it is going to break later on today) I have just come back from a pleasant ride. But, however, some of the enjoyment is diminished by the behaviour of some drivers. As we all know an A10 is more than capable of holding its own in modern traffic conditions with one exception: the brakes! So, baring this in mind I always try to keep a reasonable distance between me and the vehicle in front of me, and it isn’t easy. There has always got to be someone  dives into my safety space cutting me up in the process more often than not. What is it with these people? It is not as if they actually gain anything because at the next set of traffic lights I am there right behind them, and while I am having a whinge, has anyone else noticed how modern cars seem to be equipped with ornamental indicators, indicating seems to be a thing of the past, especially at roundabouts.  When I learnt to drive my driving instructor told me that I should signal every time that I intended to change direction. Maybe its just me being paranoid. Still, I managed to get another ride in before the weather finally changes for the worse, so I will content myself with that.
John

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Why do people behave like this?
« Reply #1 on: 04.10. 2015 15:57 »
John,

I think the only tactic at your disposal is to, then, maintain the safety distance from the new intruder. Glad you have managed to avoid getting pushed off the road or into other traffic. Hard to get into the topic of how you might change cultural mentality with regard to driving ettiquete when, over here, we're struggling with how to change the cultural mentality that leads to nut cases shooting up schools.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.10. 2015 16:34 »
my driving instructor told me that I should signal every time that I intended to change direction

Me too, his words "they are direction indicators not right of way indicators" still ring in me ears, however my missus who  passed her advanced driving test many years ago berates me for indicating too much, I wink on regardless.

The overtaking is damn annoying, you end up going backwards in relative terms
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 04.10. 2015 18:32 »
Well, it's down to any number of things as we know.

Main issue that I notice when I'm on older machinery, even when it is mostly able to keep up, is that folks now have no need or inclination to maintain momentum. They're all stop go in an instant, whilst we oldies are trying to keep an even strain.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.10. 2015 18:53 »
Hi John, and All
It seems the same way to me, no matter whether its the bike car or van I'm driving *angry* *angry* *angry*

Mercedes , BMW and chelsea tractors especially dont seem to have indicators fitted ??? or the so called drivers cant find the switch or be arsed using it  *razz* *razz* *razz*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline sparx

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 04.10. 2015 19:26 »
The cutting into my safety distance thing happens to me every day during my commute (by car) into and away from work. And I mean EVERY day. I can guarantee it's going to happen tomorrow morning.
  If I was in charge of road-side signs I would erect one on a local bit of dual carriageway saying

"If you are taking the next exit why are you in the outside lane?"
Dave
Peterborough (UK)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 04.10. 2015 19:28 »
There's a theory here that drivers of black Mercedes and BMWs are particularly rude or, unconscious.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 04.10. 2015 19:34 »
The cutting into my safety distance thing happens to me every day during my commute (by car) into and away from work. And I mean EVERY day. I can guarantee it's going to happen tomorrow morning.
  If I was in charge of road-side signs I would erect one on a local bit of dual carriageway saying

"If you are taking the next exit why are you in the outside lane?"

Good one.  How about a T-shirt that says: " GAP AHEAD FOR MY SAFETY. PLEASE DON'T FILL IT" maybe that would get a 5-10% reduction in intrusions. Better than nothing.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #8 on: 04.10. 2015 20:14 »
There's a theory here that drivers of black Mercedes and BMWs are particularly rude or, unconscious.

Like to add Volvo drivers for that matter... *roll*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 05.10. 2015 11:46 »
...How about a T-shirt that says: " GAP AHEAD FOR MY SAFETY. PLEASE DON'T FILL IT"...

On my car I've fitted a device to the inside of the rear window that displays a bright red scrolling text message. I have it programmed to say "You are too close, please drop back" but it would be great to be able to have a range of messages. I guess with one of those tiny processor cards, (Raspberry Pi etc.) it would be possible to change to one of a whole range of messages.  >:D Mind you, road rage might be the result!

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 05.10. 2015 13:56 »
one of those tiny processor cards, (Raspberry Pi etc.) it would be possible to change to one of a whole range of messages.

UUMM sounds fun, just watch how you go with the messages and spelling >:D
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #11 on: 05.10. 2015 20:11 »
G'day all.
Yes that safety space is handy when your driving a 40 ton truck as well. When the tin lids cut infront on the approach to a red light/stop sign. Remodeled a few rear ends. Lucky the cops see my side of the story and book the tin lid.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online edboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 06.10. 2015 01:16 »
those selfish drivers are not drivers but automated mobile phone users wandering about the roads searching for a signal. i know as i married one. without gps they couldnt reach their destination which is normally a huge queue of traffic where they text madly. the best insult would be to pull alongside and show your new , singing , dancing, updated mobile and laugh at theirs. however you may draw a few laughs with the dynamo driven charger system.

Offline larryc

• Moving Up
  • Back into BSA after 45 years!
« Reply #13 on: 07.10. 2015 12:42 »
I used to be PCV instructor and I used to tell my learners that .....'The most unreliable part of a vehicle is the nut holding the steering wheel!'

mucky hands again, great!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 08.10. 2015 10:01 »
This driver is smarter than most out there.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/fybch3DX8c8
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7