Author Topic: Siamese or Twin exhaust ?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
Siamese or Twin exhaust ?
« on: 05.10. 2015 14:44 »
What is the difference in engine performance between Siamese or Twin exhaust on the S/R / RGS engine.

I have fitted my SR with RGS tuned engine with a Twin super rocket type exhaust system.
Considering a Siamese system to boost performance.

Eddie Dow “are on about” Siamese is best for full throttle action at peak RPM, and twin system ( with megaphones) is optimal for medium RPM.
http://bsa-a10.hailwood.com/tt11.html

What is your experience ?

Any dyna test ?

Offline bill harrison

• Moving Up
Re: Siamese or Twin exhaust ?
« Reply #1 on: 05.10. 2015 18:35 »
I have a Siamese system on my RGS (replica).  I reckon it makes absolutely no difference!  Also makes one side of the bike look a bit bare IMHO.  Sounds nice though.

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 05.10. 2015 19:14 »
I have Siamese on my SR. Looks good, sounds great and only half the amount of chrome to polish!

Never tried it with twins, so I have no idea about performance.

Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Norton International Model 40 1949
Triumph Thruxton R 2016
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring 2014

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 19.10. 2015 21:24 »
I replaced my old dual pipes with Siamese pipes and a straight thru Goldie exhaust, what an improvement in power!
Not a fair comparo I realize as the old left hand pipe had this huge crimp in the underside of the pipe. The bike is new to me and I hadn't spotted this restriction until removal of the oldpipes to fit the new.
I can leave the 23 tooth engine sprocket in place. Was about set to reinstall the 21 in order to retrieve a bit of power.

Glen

Offline bobandbec

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 19.10. 2015 22:33 »
My preference is for twin but purely from an appearance point of view. In fact just removed a siamese arrangement on one of mine to replace with a twin. Probably don't go fast enough to tell if there was any difference in top range performance!

Peter

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 20.10. 2015 11:44 »
I'm the same, fitted Siamese system with straight through goldie ,lovely noise even the none biking neighbours come out to experience it or at least that's what I think they were shouting  *dunno* .I too run a 23 tooth engine sprocket and she pulls like a train and the sound at a few thou revs , doesn't take much to keep me happy as you can tell.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #6 on: 13.11. 2015 00:50 »
I can only comment I have Siamese on both my A10's for both the track and the road.
 For the road I consider improving ground clearance on the LH side a useful plus,
 for the race sidecar it doesn't matter but improves accessibility on the primary side
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline taylor1960

• If it ant broke dont fix it
  • Moving Up
  • If it ant broken dont fix it
« Reply #7 on: 05.01. 2016 10:30 »
Im in the same boat 2 into 1 or 2 into 2  *????* i like the look of 2 pipes with short megaphones Loud Pipes Save Lives   *smile*
1960 BSA A10
1999 Honda CB 500
1978 Can-Am Bomardier