Author Topic: kicker  (Read 2582 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: kicker
« Reply #45 on: 16.10. 2015 20:46 »
Pedro,

I know you've about worn your fingers to the bone taking the cover off and putting it back on, but, from your video, you still have some hair to pull out, so I have another hair-brained idea. How about removing  the primary chain and doing some kicking with the clutch engaged (lever not pulled)? Or does this not tell anything because of easier kicking with the plugs out? Hmmm? At the same time you could spin the engine via the cush nut to see if that reveals any problem.

OK, if none of that makes sense, have you had the sump plate off recently to look for something there? Did we already talk about primary screws hitting the crank?

Hey, I know a lot of this will be stuff you already know very well, as you know your bike inside and out by now. I think the thing we are trying to do now is stumble on some very little thing that somehow gets forgotten in the excitement (frustration).  As far as my suggestions go, no offense here if you put them con imposibilidades.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline pedrochapala

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #46 on: 18.10. 2015 15:59 »
when i started with this nonsense,i thought i would do an oil change too. so the sump plate was off and i tried kicking. same damn thing-take the plugs out and kicks fine-plugs in -nadda.
i'm gonna meet my mates today so will start messing on monday again. what i am gonna do is check the quad teeth again closely as to how they mesh with the main shaft. what i am thinking is to grind the quad teeth down slightly.

Online beezermacc

• Resident Legend
  • Not for the purist!
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd.
« Reply #47 on: 18.10. 2015 16:22 »
This may sound a little 'left field' but is the problem clutch slip? I had a similar situation where the bike felt as though it was tightening up as I was kicking it but what was happening was, because the clutch was slipping, the bike wouldn't kick past compression. It felt like the kickstart was hitting glue. Make sure you have free play at the lever. If that is OK take the primary cover off and tighten the clutch spring screws, maybe one turn or a turn and a half each. To see if the clutch is slipping you can mark the chainwheel and pressure plate with chalk marks and see if they have moved relative to each other after a couple of kicks. Anyway, as I said, a bit left field, but it wouldn't surprise me to find this is the problem.
Priory Magnetos Ltd - A10 spares, magneto and dynamo refurbs. www.priorymagnetos.co.uk

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #48 on: 18.10. 2015 16:43 »
That's a new idea. Wouldn't it be great if Beezermacc has hit it?
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline pedrochapala

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #49 on: 18.10. 2015 17:32 »
yes it would BUT if the clutch were slipping i certainly would feel it when riding especially up a grade and i can tell you that it's not doing that. my cable is set the way it should be too. by the way when i did the rebuild it require the clutch be taken apart , inspected and springs readjusted on assembly. i do them so that it requires some hand strength. keep the ideas coming por favor!

Offline pedrochapala

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #50 on: 23.10. 2015 18:38 »
what a super forum and a great bunch! thanks to all and my friend neil[member of my club los ocultos] and carl from southwest cycle for having the patience to help me. i wanted to wait a few days and several kicks before i reported. it works!!!! what i did was put back the old brass bush under the bendix on the main shaft. the old one was not as sloppy on the outside. then as a few suggested i took off the primary cover  to inspect the clutch. you guys were right and i was wrong. look at the pic. the brass spring holder on the right is nice and shiny because it was completely off and rubbing against the cover. when i put the clutch back together before i was too concerned about the plates moving unevenly and obviously that one was too loose. this time i tightened them all a lot more and eveness be damned.  but it still is pretty even,in any event.

Online beezermacc

• Resident Legend
  • Not for the purist!
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd.
« Reply #51 on: 23.10. 2015 19:00 »
then as a few suggested i took off the primary cover  to inspect the clutch. you guys were right and i was wrong.

Sorry to gloat but which guy(s) were right??!!

Delighted you got it fixed!
Priory Magnetos Ltd - A10 spares, magneto and dynamo refurbs. www.priorymagnetos.co.uk

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #52 on: 23.10. 2015 20:18 »
I think your it with the clutch beezermacc and I got the pinion bush.
Great to hear Pedro, puzzle sorted.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #53 on: 23.10. 2015 22:11 »
hi guys, have followed this post with interest so a big well done to all involved to get Pedro going again, `challenge met` cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #54 on: 24.10. 2015 01:08 »
Pedro,

Great! Very glad that got worked out. You can get back to riding con los hermanos de las motocicletas. Hey, I didn't have the right diagnosis, but I did say to take off the primary cover. What a loser I am. Below is a picture of me when I used to be cool.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #55 on: 24.10. 2015 10:50 »

Well, unlike Richardo, I never had an urge to be cool, quite to the contrary- but have to coin a phrase and say " I love it when a plan comes together"....
  I've not had a solution to the problem, but have had a (clutch spring) screw loose in the past *eek*, but not enough to cause this kind of issue, and something I've been meaning to address, but in my case, due to adding the five friction plates as listed, which doesn't allow much thread contact so they undo easily....but since I put in (4) NEW friction plates, so far haven't had the same problem...but have also found that being mega-precise with the run-out doesn't seem to matter afarque;(too much) - I tried the dial gauge, but now just do it by eye and works fine

*beer*/sangria.??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #56 on: 24.10. 2015 11:45 »
Below is a picture of me when I used to be cool.

Was that when you were a youngster?  *whistle*

Offline pedrochapala

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #57 on: 24.10. 2015 14:41 »
that ain't richard being cool-it's me.
and as they say in texas-all y'all can take credit because ya made me think. gracias y todos!

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #58 on: 24.10. 2015 16:05 »
That's quite a bunch of guys. I'm thinking the club might include a lawyer, an accountant, an insurance salesman, a real estate agent, a couple of mechanics, a cop and...

Curious to know if I've got any of these correct.

Richard L.

Online edboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #59 on: 24.10. 2015 17:47 »
in my experience people generally who can ride legally and fix their bikes do not fit the losers category. an exception being anybody who sold their bsa years ago on a whim and waiting for an opportunity to buy yours at his 30-40 year old selling price.