Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: kicker
« Reply #15 on: 08.10. 2015 17:08 »
Pedro,

Here is another interesting link.

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=534661

I am really feeling pretty sure that if you have the flat-topped teeth on your  quadrant you have the wrong one and that is your problem. Can you post a photo of your parts? (Uhh, the quadrant and pinion.) Also, I think that making other mods to the gearbox instead of getting the correct quadrant and pinion may not be the best thing to do.  Of course, you should use your own judgment.

Richard L.

Offline pedrochapala

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 08.10. 2015 17:52 »
i'm really stupid. just took the view cover off and they're pointed not square. tomorrow i'll take the side cover off and take fotos. maybe it's just not made right. when the plugs are out i can kick with just my hand but can't kick with my weak leg when plugs are in. should have kept the old one. and thanks for the link richard. mine is like the one on the left with more metal.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 08.10. 2015 17:59 »
Looking forward to a good result for you.

Richard L.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 08.10. 2015 20:21 »
Hi Pedro,
As long as both gears match each other,  it doesnt matter which type are fitted, ie 2 pointed tops or 2 flat tops

I have a Trials HT5 Ariel that has 5.5 :1 compression, the compression will hold my weight on the kickstart
As the handbook says theres a difference between low compression and "bad" compression *ex*

Cheers
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline pedrochapala

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 09.10. 2015 18:27 »
here's some fotos. i can't see anything wrong but there is something.

Offline pedrochapala

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #20 on: 09.10. 2015 20:28 »
these fotos are more telling i think. what purpose is the flat one?

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #21 on: 09.10. 2015 20:46 »
G'day Pedro.
The first tooth on the quadrant is a half tooth to act as a lead in. I can't see anything wrong in the photos but if there's wear in the pinion or quadrant (kicker) shaft bushings it can cause the locking I mentioned earlier.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 09.10. 2015 21:20 »
Hey, I'm probably just goofing off right now, because I can't see anything obvious either, but since I can't see it, I wonder if part number 67-3161 ("kickstart ratchet pinion sleeve washer") is in place under the pinion, as well as the "kickstart ratchet spring". Not trying to cause trouble, but there are straws that need grasping and I am all about grasping at straws.

Richard L.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 09.10. 2015 21:45 »
Well one straw just for a stab in the dark, I've read on this forum that the bush inside the ratchet can bind if the nut's torqued up too tight.
whether it's enough to cause a complete lock up I don't know, BTW my higher compression bike does sometimes go solid when kicked over, never have got to the bottom of it, but it frees just as easily and it's not that often so I consider it a "Feature" for the time being.
I have a complete gearbox in bits from here there and elsewhere so might build it up and install this winter along with the rest of the planned rebuild.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline pedrochapala

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 10.10. 2015 00:04 »
relax-i took the spring off to show how things are meshing or not. nothing is missing.the shaft and quadrant i bought was all in one. the flat top is hitting on top of the bendix gear as you can see in foto 2. should i grind this down? i tighten the main shaft nut with my impact wrench[too tight?] but i have always done it this way and never had the problem before. this last rebuild i put in a flat washer between the gear and the bearing race as called for in my parts manual. didn't have that there for many years.

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #25 on: 10.10. 2015 12:56 »
hello, i may be wrong on this as i havnt checked mine yet, but the kickstart at 90"from top.d.c. when only engaging the top of the kickstart quadrant doesnt seem right to me. i believe, but never tried , you can press it off and re-position.

Offline roadrocket.chris

• A's Good Friend
  • my pride and joy
    • roadrocket
« Reply #26 on: 10.10. 2015 13:57 »
have you tried bump starting it . it might show if it is the kickstart if it bumps easy
roadrocket
condor a350
motoguzzi v50
armstrong 500 mt
bantam d3
Ireland

Offline pedrochapala

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #27 on: 10.10. 2015 14:16 »
i want to assemble today so i can meet my mates sunday. should i grind the flat tooth so that it doesn't hit the teeth on the bendix drive or is it supposed to hit them?

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 10.10. 2015 14:44 »
First, Edboy, Pedro has the one-piece type quadant.

Pedro,

I don't quite understand why a flattened tooth in the same shape as it was designed by BSA should cause a problem. On the other hand, this is not an original part and, maybe, some small deviation from original is causing a mis-fit when the two gears come together. Maybe the flat tooth is landing on the tip of a tooth on the pinion and jamming things up. Now, with all that said, I still don't quite believe it is the reason for your troubles, but, I would think you could grind the short tooth to be a miniature of a pointy tooth with no harm. It might even help, but no promises.

Richard L.

Offline pedrochapala

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #29 on: 10.10. 2015 15:26 »
eliminating one problem may help. i propose to keep it flat but low enough not to hit the bendix teeth. it's hard to tell but i wonder if the teeth are meshing correctly,in any event. what seems to work some of the time is using the clutch for several kicks and then trying. sometimes this works.