Author Topic: finding Neutral A10. and Hi to all from Bulgaria  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Bulgaria

• Active
I am a new member and would like to say Hi from Bulgaria
The weather here is hot seems to course problem after riding BSA super rocket not in to much traffic my super rocket finding neutral when stoping but when cooler weather there is little problem
Can any one give me advice thank you? *smiley4*

beezermacc

Re: finding Neutral A10. and Hi to all from Bulgaria
« Reply #1 on: 01.06. 2015 17:11 »
Hi and welcome!  The problem is more likely to be the clutch than the gearbox. This problem is quite common and most people who are familiar with A10's will try to engage neutral as you are coming to rest, not actually when you have stopped. The A10 clutch is a bit crude, particularly the 6-spring, and whilst the 4-spring is much better it is still far from perfect. You need to spend quite a bit of time with the primary cover off, making sure that the plates lift off evenly and you need to have the minimum of slack/wear throughout the clutch operating mechanism from lever to the pressure plate to make sure you have maximum lift. A further problem is the design of the levers on A10's which have a short distance between the pivot and cable nipple; this gives good leverage but poor travel. Fitting non-standard levers gives additional travel. At this stage I would concentrate on the clutch plates and general efficiency of the lifting mechanism. It is worth checking that the lever on top of the gearbox is in its most efficient position, i.e. passing through a right angle as it travels, or as close to that as you can get. Good luck.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 02.06. 2015 00:53 »
G'day Bulgaria,  *welcome*. I think your the first from that corner of the globe.
As beezermacc said. Do a search, theres lots of topics on setting the clutch up right.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 18.06. 2015 22:57 »
Welcome, a history and some pictures in "Bikes, Pictures & Members" ?

Id' say start with a full clutch check & function\parts inspection + fine adjustment.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Bulgaria

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 19.06. 2015 13:16 »
Thank you so much for all the good info sorry i did not get back stright away have had long eye op two holes and lots of laser rest now and three months more at mo so so now ill start on clutch i had many bikes years back T baird B31 rocket three mc2 super rocket etc sold when I came out here wish i had not now so not long had this 1963 a10 was told this was a sound bike.
When the A10 came to Bulgaria I fired her up the  eng was  great runs great no vibs at all smoth not like my old A10,  just silly things nutral prob
cleaned oil off left standing and  found nasty leek on gear box cover Gasket  now i can see little better find above below gear lever allen bolts missing the guy that sold it to me said it was oil tight but I am here he is over there.
But things happen, I am happy when I see good ill go on long rides not the short three rides i did
any way thanks lads for your info and please ride safe

adm edit, please take the story part to a new post in "Bikes, Pictures & Members"

Offline Bulgaria

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 24.06. 2015 08:55 »
I have sorted the clutch and all your info was exhalent I am looking for the original bolts above and below gear lever holding gear box casing cover there is none here in Bulgaria
Whitwarth or unc .can any one help if to long I can cut down.
 *eek* *eek* *smile*

Offline Bulgaria

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 24.06. 2015 16:31 »
Sorry from Bulgaria adm edit, please take the story part to a new post in "Bikes, Pictures & Members"

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 24.06. 2015 18:53 »

....sorted the clutch and all your info was exhalent....

phew, must've been exhausting... *smile*...not being a smartarse(now), but I think the word you mean is "excellent"....
 I think those screws are about 1,3/8" -1,1/2" can check in a few hours....?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 24.06. 2015 20:54 »
G'day Bulgaria.
The screws and studs for the gearbox cover.
1 of 67-1705 = 1/4" x 1 3/8" BSW 20tpi thread
2 of 65-3061 = 1/4" x 1 7/8" BSW 20tpi thread
4 of 67-3023 = 5/15" studs 3 3/8" long BSW 20tpi thread on one end, CEI (cycle) 26tpi thread on the other end.
Most threads into Aluminum are BSW and most nuts & bolts are CEI (cycle) 26 or 20tpi.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 25.06. 2015 06:07 »

Well Musky's onto it, but maybe not all boxes are the same. ... I measured mine and some in a spare box. ...I was only concerned with the two front ones that you're missing, yes 1,3/8" will be sufficient for the single rear one , but (on mine at least) the front two only need to be 1,1/2", any longer sticks out the back....And with unthreaded shank of 28mm (1.1"max)...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 26.06. 2015 03:21 »

the front two only need to be 1,1/2", any longer sticks out the back....And with unthreaded shank of ~28mm (<1.1"/ 1/8"max)...

That was based on the spare box having what appear to be original cheese head screws...@ 1,7/8" long. (I changed the bit in brackets)
 Modern Socket caps screws should be ok though, (usually) having 1" of thread, but I'm sure you can work that out, just wanted to make you aware of that so that it still doesn't leak 

Australia