Author Topic: WTB: 55 A10 plunger rear brake arm.  (Read 2273 times)

Offline bigjohn

• Moving Up
WTB: 55 A10 plunger rear brake arm.
« on: 25.10. 2015 11:24 »
Hi all - has anyone got a rear brake arm for a plunger A10. It is the arm that attaches onto the brake drum pivot not the lever you press with your foot. It is the short one I am after (about 2 and a half ins long. Must have good splines as that is what's wrong with the one I have. All the ones on E BAY seem to be the long ones with what also appears to be a greater offset, so not sure they will fit.

Thanks

John.

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
Re: 55 A10 plunger rear brake arm.
« Reply #1 on: 25.10. 2015 17:24 »
hi bigjohn, i f there is a tiny section of the spline remaining[as they seem to be a poor fit] build up the worn part with arc weld and hand file the splines. i did the same to mine as they are quite rare and the job was a lot easier than i thought. when i fit mine i ll make sure the lever has full contact.

Offline bigjohn

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 26.10. 2015 11:57 »
Hi edboy - yes I had thought of doing that as there is a very narrow portion of the splines in good condition on the outside. Will give it a go. Thanks.

John.

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 26.10. 2015 18:28 »
hi john, that is exactly the problem i had with the lever not in full contact. when i get round to assemble the brake, if possible i am going to file the carrier bush and shoe fulcrum on the bench so its all a better fit .

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 26.10. 2015 19:17 »
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 26.10. 2015 20:53 »

Thanks GB, but it's a 42-6045, Plunger ones are 67-6053 and shorter
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 26.10. 2015 20:56 »

Thanks GB, but it's a 42-6045, Plunger ones are 67-6053 and shorter

Yes, you are right! I'd forgotten that mine is a little stumpy one, and the brake arm is short as well!  ;)
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 27.10. 2015 17:32 »
as i am finding out, the plunger is virtually all different from a swing arm model but swing arm parts will fit but look and are totally wrong. a lot of plunger parts must have been thrown away in the past probably during the forward footrest craze as when they come up for sale certain parts , such as brake levers, are expensive. if anyone reading this post needs a 0.250 o.d. hollow dowel for the oil feed take off from the crankshaft [not in stock anywhere] then use the crankcase to barrel , cam feed dowel from a triumph t120. it needs to be chopped in half and you can then hollow dowel both oilways at the pick up.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 27.10. 2015 22:21 »

as i am finding out, the plunger is virtually all different from a swing arm model but swing arm parts will fit but look and are totally wrong.

Yep... *pull hair out*....It doesn't really bother me what anyone wants to use, but I have a couple of the brake arms in question thinking it'd be better mechanical advantage, but they just weren't going to work (too much pedal travel, and offset all wrong)....and the later A10 brake pedal; just no-way at all *problem*....not to mention the A65/50 QD brake drum/detachable sprocket band (47T only *ex*)...

Having said all that, later A10 S/A internals work fine, in fact only my C-cases remain, the rest is ~S/R, and a OIF/Conical Front-End grafted on easy, just had to sleeve the bearings *smile*
  Oh and the OIF kickstand works with a bit of humouring  *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 01.12. 2015 08:20 »
Big John.
I don't know if you have found a brake lever yet but I was looking for a brake lever for a 1954 A/7 so I went to Dover, to Road Star and unfortunately did not have one that I want but they do have a huge box of s/h brake levers, which I looked through, give them a ring on 01304 202881. I'm sure John or Steve will help if possible.

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 04.12. 2015 23:36 »
Big John.

Sorry I misread your article, I have some brake levers for the brake drum end, I will check with my plunger A/10 and see if I have one for you tomorrow.

TTJohn

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 05.12. 2015 20:07 »
Big John.

I do have a brake lever with a splined hole, it is about 17.5mm across the hole and 75mm between the hole and the rod eye, it is offset by about 15mm, it looks to be new old stock. If that is what you need its yours for the price of post & packing.
Other than that I have some square drive levers.

Kind regards John *good3*

Offline bigjohn

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 13.12. 2015 12:49 »
Hi all - sorry for the delay but have not been too well recently. I have welded the hole up and filed it and it seems to work okay but I think I

Offline bigjohn

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 13.12. 2015 12:55 »
Hi all - thanks for the input. Have welded my arm and filed it and it seems ok, however I think I would much prefer to use an untouched one for safety's sake. So TT JOHN, thanks for your offer. I will check that the measurements are the same and come back to you

John.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 20.04. 2017 09:45 »

Yes, you are right! I'd forgotten that mine is a little stumpy one, and the brake arm is short as well!  ;)

So- i'm fairly happy that I'm not the only one with a little stumpy one  *fight* *fight*, but it also seems I may be more full of $$ than I thought...

so I won't double up but copy and paste ;

Re: Rear brake lever
« Reply #4 on: Today at 19:24:08 »

Old thread, and not sure where to start, there's two parallel-ish threads with similar issues, so I'll try'n do a 'blend'...that reminds me of an old BC Cartoon; "Parallel lines never meet"  *eek*

With regard to all of Brian, Trev and....

Russ, somehow I convinced myself that the short stumpy arm (with no number) that I also have been using was a 67-6053, but looking in the parts book last night, I saw that  67-6053 is longer than that...but can't find much info on them, maybe other Plunger owners can help out... *????* *????*
    I have a couple of 42-6045, that can work but have just a bit too much offset...took piccies, but need to sort that..

So I also have a 40-6041 that may belong on C15/B40/A65??  (as per ebay listings), that I put on today, it has 3" centres, and seems to work ok for now.......

there's more, but I've wasted too much time and dran.....ahhhheeer -nah..... *beer*....nochette..so my question is for Plunger owners; what brake arm do you have on the wheel, and is it possible to provide some piccies and measurements ??

Piccies shown are what I have, stumpy one on left, 40-6041 that I added today,  and in second pic. the two on the right in first pic are the 42-6045's (one is a bit bent) but will work if bent the other way

phew...comprende...??

now I'm over to

Wanted & For Sale / Re: 55 A10 plunger rear brake arm.

to wreak even more mayhem... *beer*

*beer*
Australia