Author Topic: 1961 BSA Super Rocket  (Read 1748 times)

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
1961 BSA Super Rocket
« on: 26.10. 2015 09:34 »
Hi
Need suggestions on the original colour scheme on the SR
Thanks
Anji

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: 1961 BSA Super Rocket
« Reply #1 on: 26.10. 2015 11:45 »
According to Roy Bacon’s BSA Twin Restoration book the colour schemes for a 1961 Super Rocket should be: Royal red petrol tank with gold lining and chrome plated panels. Royal red mudguards, and black oil tank and tool box. Option 2: Black and chrome petrol tank and black for all other painted parts. I have never seen one in those colours. Option 3: Metallic grey petrol tank chrome with plated panels, and metallic Princess grey for oil tank tool box and mudguards. Tank badge should be pear shaped. Not sure how accurate that is though. Below is a '61 export model and it has chrome mudguards, and  picture (2) of one with painted mudguards. Picture 2 is a UK model.

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 26.10. 2015 19:16 »
New Stuff for me.
Have never seen a siamese exhaust with std. SR pot.

MY SR was delivered in Silver !
Never seen a SR in Silver....

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #3 on: 27.10. 2015 06:02 »
According to Roy Bacon’s BSA Twin Restoration book the colour schemes for a 1961 Super Rocket should be: Royal red petrol tank with gold lining and chrome plated panels. Royal red mudguards, and black oil tank and tool box. Option 2: Black and chrome petrol tank and black for all other painted parts. I have never seen one in those colours. Option 3: Metallic grey petrol tank chrome with plated panels, and metallic Princess grey for oil tank tool box and mudguards. Tank badge should be pear shaped. Not sure how accurate that is though. Below is a '61 export model and it has chrome mudguards, and  picture (2) of one with painted mudguards. Picture 2 is a UK model.

Hi
Thanks for info. I think option 1 seems correct as this is what appears to be the combo in the attached photo of my bike in 1965 on the way to India from UK
Anji

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #4 on: 27.10. 2015 06:04 »
New Stuff for me.
Have never seen a siamese exhaust with std. SR pot.

MY SR was delivered in Silver !
Never seen a SR in Silver....

Thanks Viking. I think mine was Red & black as you can see fro the photo
Anji

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #5 on: 27.10. 2015 10:27 »
Thanks for info. I think option 1 seems correct as this is what appears to be the combo in the attached photo of my bike in 1965 on the way to India from UK
Anji

Hi Anji, I found another picture on the internet of your epic 1965 journey to India! Do you have any more that you could post? And, how about writing an account of that ride it would be a fascinating read which we would all enjoy. As a matter of interest how much did you get hit for import tax? I know that India has a reputation for heavy import taxes.

I notice that your Super Rocket has two unusual features for a 1961 model: It is equiped with a nacelle type headlamp, and although it is blanked off the rev counter drive is on the timing cover. On a 1961  model it should have had a seperate headlamp, and the the rev counter drive should have been from the oil pump see the BSA 1961 sales literature picture. That said it just goes to show how confusing equipment details can be. Incidentally your bike was first registered in Rotherham South Yorkshire, and it was probably sold by Ernest Cross 55-59 Drummond Street who was the BSA main dealer for Rotherham.
John