Author Topic: Ally Sump plate and gauze 'strainer'  (Read 2820 times)

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
Ally Sump plate and gauze 'strainer'
« on: 28.10. 2015 23:37 »
I'm thinking of fitting one of beezermaccs (Priory Magnetos) ally sump plates with magnetic plug to my SR. The original steel sump plate has the brass gauze pickup 'strainer' soldered to it, but with aluminium that's not going to work is it? What's the go here? Also, the pickup pipe needs to be a pretty good fit with the hole in the strainer, and needs to be well aligned too. I'm imagining trying to fit the gauze to the plate and align the gauze and pipe, and it don't look easy! (Or am I over-thinking this?)

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Ally Sump plate and gauze 'strainer'
« Reply #1 on: 29.10. 2015 03:19 »
Is the gauze supplied as a separate piece? If so although I do not have the ally sump like you I think the principle is the same, I have just the standard one with the gauze removed, from memory I just fitted the gauze with gaskets and goo, it stuck in place of course, then fitted a gasket and sump plate, with yet more goo  *lol*     ......it still leaks slightly though!
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 29.10. 2015 04:56 »
I imagine that Beezermacs version is the same as mine. The gauze is flat with a hole for the pickup pipe. It sandwiches between two gaskets. My pickup pipe needed a tiny 'adjustment' to make it hit the centre of the hole in the gauze.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #3 on: 29.10. 2015 05:12 »
My SRM one is much the same as Greybeard's...   it comes with gauze & gaskets...
they can be purchased at > http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BSA-A10-A50-A65-SUMP-GAUZE-FILTER-71-1126-UK-MADE-SRM-/321862152475?hash=item4af07ab11b:g:6eQAAOxygPtS1Bt3
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 29.10. 2015 07:25 »
Ah, so the replacement gauze is flat and is sandwiched/positioned between gaskets. That should work, easy!
(My original brass gauze is not flat, it's 3-dimensional and has 'walls' so it sits maybe 3/8" up, proud of the plate). Cheers.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 29.10. 2015 08:09 »

All the above, but I feel it's important to note that the gauze scavenge hole be able to self-centre itself on the scavenge pipe... I haven't used one, but would probably use 3bong...and in addition make sure the magnetic plug is as far from the pickup as possible *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 29.10. 2015 09:46 »
...I feel it's important to note that the gauze scavenge hole be able to self-centre itself on the scavenge pipe...
Not really possible Dutch; the filter position is determined by the sump studs so the pickup pipe has to be in the right place.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 29.10. 2015 09:47 »
Hi Jools not wishing to do beezermacc out of business but could cut the brass gauze off like I did and use your std sump plate with a new filter gauze which are available from most BSA parts suppliers, and just stick any old magnet to the sump plate....but then you would not have the bling factor!  *work*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 29.10. 2015 09:54 »
...but then you would not have the bling factor!  *work*
Oh yes, I'm forever peering under my machine to admire that sexy sump plate!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 29.10. 2015 10:18 »
I concur with GB my bikes on the workbench for the winter and even with her being up in the air I've managed to resist  looking at my SRM sump plate  *whistle*.
Dutch was your mention of keeping the magnetic plug as far away from the pickup pipe due to you thinking about it's effect on the ball bearing in the pipe ? or what ?? Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 29.10. 2015 10:35 »
There were alloy sump plates with the drain plug in the middle or the offset drain plug is fitted to the rear it could hold the valve closed.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/70-9979-BSA-B25-C25-TR25-B40WD-B44-B50-SUMP-OIL-FILTER-GAUZE-/111747407440?hash=item1a04aa1e50:g:~3wAAOSwd0BV07me
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

beezermacc

« Reply #11 on: 29.10. 2015 12:11 »
Some alloy sump plate issues to note.... There are two popular types on the market, the billet type (quite swanky!) and the cast type (equally effective but not quite so swanky!). Both types have thicker bodies than the original type so you need to consider how to secure them to the sump. Ideally you should use longer studs so that the whitworth end screws fully into the crankcase casting. Most people use whitworth allen caps and screw them through the new sump into the alloy. I think this is a bit risky as the internal threads in the crankcases are short and prone to stripping anyway. Unless you are very careful making sure your threads are good, and you use the full length of the thread, the potential for stripping is quite significant. I would recommend using longer studs with standard nuts and shakeproof washers - don't use nylok nuts as these grip the studs so tightly that the studs tend to come loose before the nuts. Most people have binned their original strainer by cutting it off the original sump and replacing it with an independent mesh strainer sandwiched between two gaskets and the original sump plate. One further point is that fitting a magnetic sump plug to the original plate magnetises everything the plate comes into contact with, which may include the suction pipe, depending on what type of strainer you use. Ideally the strainer should be stainless steel to prevent this.

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 29.10. 2015 14:13 »
I have the SRM Billet cover.  I was more interested in draining the oil before starting (if the bike sat more than a week).  It used to wet-sump a lot when the engine was new, but has calmed down quite a bit over time.  It's a nice feature to have, instead of blowing oil all over the floor.

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 29.10. 2015 14:30 »
I have the SRM billet ”Swanky” type, with Whitworth studs.
Nice. So easy to get oil tight.

I drain off the oil and discard it, if the bike has been standing unused for a prolonged time..

Can highly recoment the SRM type:
•   Oil tight
•   Magnetic pluck
•   Perfect fit around the suction pipe
•   Comes with studs and gaskets
•   A real treat…. A perfect x-mas pressy. From me to me  

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #14 on: 29.10. 2015 18:27 »
I got a new sump plate from Poshman1 back in June 2014. It looks great but has never been on the bike. Why because I don't want to use Allen caps or a bolts to hold it for all the reasons beezermacc states and the original studs are to short. Anyone any idea of a source for longer studs so I can fit it next oil change. I also know he made two others that went to Australia, anyone recall having one and how did you get on with it
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20