Author Topic: Ally Sump plate and gauze 'strainer'  (Read 2821 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Ally Sump plate and gauze 'strainer'
« Reply #15 on: 29.10. 2015 18:35 »
 I either changed the studs on my Flash or the sum plate came with longer studs not sure which.
If I changed the studs would I have used the longer studs that are needed on the rocker box for alloy heads ???
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 29.10. 2015 18:53 »
If I changed the studs would I have used the longer studs that are needed on the rocker box for alloy heads ???
I used rocker box studs secured in the crankcase with Loctite.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #17 on: 29.10. 2015 19:16 »
Mine never arrived  *sad2*.
My poor old plunger dumps a full oil tank in just over a week  *eek*. Sump plug out, drain into clean container and pour back into tank  >:D.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 29.10. 2015 19:27 »
...Sump plug out, drain into clean container and pour back into tank...
I just could not do that. I'd be worrying about some muck getting back into the tank.  *dunno2*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #19 on: 29.10. 2015 19:33 »
...Sump plug out, drain into clean container and pour back into tank...
I just could not do that. I'd be worrying about some muck getting back into the tank.  *dunno2*

Or a wooden wedge... *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 29.10. 2015 21:36 »

Dutch was your mention of keeping the magnetic plug as far away from the pickup pipe due to you thinking about it's effect on the ball bearing in the pipe ? or what ?? Bob

Yes TopBob, that's correct, I'm fairly sure my pickup is slightly front-right, so the magnetic plug would best need be left-rear, which is slightly contrary to Muskys comment
or the offset drain plug is fitted to the rear it could hold the valve closed.
- but I could be wrong, I'll find out soon when I do a change

GB-
...I feel it's important to note that the gauze scavenge hole be able to self-centre itself on the scavenge pipe...

Not really possible Dutch; the filter position is determined by the sump studs so the pickup pipe has to be in the right place.

You might have mis-interpreted that GB...obvious the plate can only go one way, I think I had in mind the stock item, and should have said "self-aligning".

I also agree with the use of studs rather than Socket screws- I have some but keep forgetting to use them *bash* note to self *conf*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 30.10. 2015 00:46 »
I assume then that the alloy plates can't be machined thinner at the bolt positions to allow the standard length studs to work?
(My motivation is so I can easily drain the wetsumping oil without removing the whole plate).

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 30.10. 2015 03:24 »
hi guys, S.R.M. supply the cap screw bolts and the strainer with the sump plate plus gaskets I got one some time ago, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #23 on: 30.10. 2015 03:30 »
I assume then that the alloy plates can't be machined thinner at the bolt positions to allow the standard length studs to work?
(My motivation is so I can easily drain the wetsumping oil without removing the whole plate).

I used the supplied Allen bolts, and they were kind of short.  I countersunk the bolt holes a bit (for the allen-heads to fit), and I got a few more threads into the case.  The ability to drain the sump is a wonderful thing.  I use a "Ratio-rite" container and pour the oil back into the tank. 

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 30.10. 2015 05:17 »
Amazing how universally fascinating this topic is. Almost a whole page of recent post devoted to sump plates. Really, some very interesting information. Regarding having long enough allen screws to do the job, don't we all have a bin of used side-cover screws laying around that can be cut down for the job?

Richard L.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #25 on: 30.10. 2015 07:31 »
Most people use whitworth allen caps and screw them through the new sump into the alloy. I think this is a bit risky as the internal threads in the crankcases are short and prone to stripping anyway. Unless you are very careful making sure your threads are good, and you use the full length of the thread, the potential for stripping is quite significant.
It is funny how long a thread about a thread can get Richard! But I agree 200% with b'macc on the use of studs not cap head screws (as supplied by, eg, SRM for the plate I bought). These are about the most strip-prone threads on the bike, and are often worn to start with.
Surely the best way of doing this and a million other such things is to obtain some basic threading kit and bits of decent steel stock in the usual imperial sizes. For those of us stranded in parts of the world where Brit imperial stuff is unobtainium , it is pretty well essential. The kit is easily available, the initial outlay is a few (not that many) beer vouchers, but thereafter  . . . empowerment!
The low-cost way to keep a shedful of stuff up together is to get the right tools, and then get a small lathe (and some inexpensive supporting literature). Total outlay less than many an engine build, benefits last for ever, satisfaction immense - and the learning curve is pure pleasure.
I divide my shed life into 2 parts - the Days of Make-Do, and the Age of Empowerment.
Bill

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #26 on: 30.10. 2015 08:36 »
Absolutely agree with groily.  Get a lathe and have hours of productive (money saving) fun learning to use it.

If you can stretch to it, make sure your lathe has a screw cutting gearbox.

Also, get and learn to use welding and brazing gear.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 30.10. 2015 09:05 »
...Surely the best way of doing this and a million other such things is to obtain some basic threading kit and bits of decent steel stock in the usual imperial sizes. For those of us stranded in parts of the world where Brit imperial stuff is unobtainium , it is pretty well essential. The kit is easily available, the initial outlay is a few (not that many) beer vouchers, but thereafter  . . . empowerment!
The low-cost way to keep a shedful of stuff up together is to get the right tools, and then get a small lathe (and some inexpensive supporting literature). Total outlay less than many an engine build, benefits last for ever, satisfaction immense - and the learning curve is pure pleasure.
I divide my shed life into 2 parts - the Days of Make-Do, and the Age of Empowerment.
Blimey, who's been reading Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance?  ;)
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #28 on: 30.10. 2015 09:34 »
I think Jools has missed the point about the alloy sump plates. They have a drain plug so you don't have to remove the plate.
I might check the gauze (plate off) once a year. The plug comes out if the oil tank is down a pint.

Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 30.10. 2015 12:07 »
Nup, that's the whole point! the reason why I want a sump plate with drain plug is so I don't have to remove the whole plate every time I need to drain the 'wet sumped' oil out of the crankcase.  *smiley4*