Author Topic: Ally Sump plate and gauze 'strainer'  (Read 2839 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Re: Ally Sump plate and gauze 'strainer'
« Reply #30 on: 30.10. 2015 12:38 »
British Fasteners in the USA has studs, threaded rod, nuts, bolts, tools............  website: www.britishfasteners.com   I've gotten a few things from them. Service and quality have been quite good. They have studs 1/4" x 1" to 6" 26tpi, 5/16" and 3/8"(BSF), many more listed as BSF-BSC/CEI, BSC/CEI-BSC/CEI, BSW-BSC/CEI. I'm still trying to figure out just what the different designations mean.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 30.10. 2015 13:00 »
Blimey, who's been reading Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance?  ;)

I've read it and sympathize with/feel Pirsig's (our) dilema with quality (like when to use a "/" and when to use parentheses). I think most of us are on the side with those who enjoy the mechanics and building as much as the riding, as opposed to our friend who rides the BMW, roughly uninvolved with the machine.

Richard L.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 30.10. 2015 16:59 »
I have only bought fasteners from 4 different suppliers, but if you want stainless, and want it right, you can not go wrong ordering from Motalia.

Nothing I have bought from them was less than perfect.
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #33 on: 30.10. 2015 17:14 »
I remember thinking when his book came out that the good Mr Pirsig must have been taking stuff I couldn't afford - but can't recall a lot more about it Graybeard to be honest!

As says terryg. I took the plunge best part of 20 years ago, bought a lathe sight unseen for about the price of a clapped out non-runner, and some excellent little books designed for model engineering people really, dug around the web for hints and so on, and went from there. Anyone can do it, and surprise him/herself at the quality of the result (the inevitable balls-ups are easily forgotten, or turned into something else). Ditto welding (especially with a Mig) and brazing, but I don't enjoy all that hot spatter too much.

In faintly philosophical vein again, a question:- Is a lathe the only DNA-free object that can largely reproduce itself? (Answers on a postcard - saucy reproducers welcome.)
Bill

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #34 on: 30.10. 2015 18:33 »
G'day Jools, sorry mate, I'm the one miss-understanding. Long hard days at the salt mine.
I agree coater87, Motalia's product is perfect.
One day the wife will earn enough for me to get a lathe, mill, shaper and all the accessories. But it's a good excuse to visit a mate for a beer and use his.
Cheers

'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 30.10. 2015 22:33 »

Found the studs I bought with fancy dome nuts *smile*- from Lightning Spares...thinikng I bought stuff from Motalia before, best get onto them for oil-pump studs..(note to self), and whatever else *conf*

many more listed as BSF-BSC/CEI, BSC/CEI-BSC/CEI, BSW-BSC/CEI. I'm still trying to figure out just what the different designations mean.

Jacho, am I missing something, or does BSW/BSF one end BSC/CEI the other; ( BSC/CEI being different names for same thing), sound like what you need to know... *????*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 30.10. 2015 23:19 »
I remember thinking when his book came out that the good Mr Pirsig must have been taking stuff I couldn't afford - but can't recall a lot more about it Graybeard to be honest!

Yes, electroshock therapy can be quite pricey. DAMHIK  *lol* (Joking, to the best that I can recall.)

Richard L.