Author Topic: Ever been caught in a Gumption Trap?  (Read 371 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Ever been caught in a Gumption Trap?
« on: 30.10. 2015 18:02 »
I know I've experienced this: A gumption trap is an event or mindset that can cause a person to lose enthusiasm and become discouraged from starting or continuing a project.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumption_trap

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Ever been caught in a Gumption Trap?
« Reply #1 on: 30.10. 2015 18:45 »
Yep, many times *ex* Wife recons it's because I'm a Libra *dunno*.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 30.10. 2015 18:57 »
When I feel something similar come up, I put myself in front of the telly with a beer until I get so bored that I can't wait to go back to the shed/project. Usually takes about the time to finish the beer...
Cheers. ;)
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #3 on: 31.10. 2015 08:25 »
Good one Morris.

At the other end of the scale I suffer the frustration trap.  It's when I'm failing to achieve what I want and the harder I try the worse things get.

Your solution works then too.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #4 on: 31.10. 2015 09:44 »
At the other end of the scale I suffer the frustration trap.  It's when I'm failing to achieve what I want and the harder I try the worse things get.
Like fitting an A10 rocker cover for example? Especially getting the front nuts on to the studs! Is there a worse job to do any where? Actually thinking about it fitting new CV joint boots on a Mini are pretty close. A huge amount of work to dismantle all the bits and pieces before you get access to the boot itself. I remember it well.

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 31.10. 2015 10:17 »
Due to many circumstances was in a 'trap', as a remedy started to practice & learn some completely new things, this forum came out of it  *smile*

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 31.10. 2015 10:55 »
I currently have 4 bikes under construction/resurrection, a couple not running so well, a couple more waiting their turn, 2 cars waiting their turn. Need to work on the wife's car this weekend. A couple chainsaws needing repair. If I get stuck on/tired of one, I just go to work on something else. Or open a beer and look through the stack of old Classic Bike magazines for inspiration.

Offline Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 04.11. 2015 05:24 »
Gumption trap sounded a bit familiar, that is until I hit the Wiki and saw the 'Setbacks' paragraph, I guess that's more accurate for me.
A year ago I was good as Gold (if lacking a little Flash), then 6 months ago I had to have heart surgery (mitral valve) Surprise!!!
Then one month ago I had to have half a lung removed. Bluddy'ell!
This crap is all eating into my precious motorbike time, most inconvenient.
I've got a '77 Suzi GT500 95% finished, a couple of TL125 projects to do, my SR to sort... (it hasn't felt a bum in a year or so), and my Velocette Venom Clubman which has had not so much as a sniff of my aromatic idiot in 8 or 10 years. Needs fettling. And I can hardly swing a spanner at the mo' without gasping for air! Plus there's a CX Euro caff to be built, A restored CX Euro to be sold, and a cute Suzi AS 50 (sport) to do.
(Don't even mention the chainsaws, brushcutter, mower, bush-pig Patrol...)

Sigh!

*problem*

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 04.11. 2015 08:40 »
I've clicked 'Like' to indicate empathy  *roll*

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 04.11. 2015 09:55 »
Guess I got in one for a couple of days , got over the mitral vale replacement in 2008 without problem then about five years ago took Poly Malagia Rheumatica unbearable leg pain which needed morphine this led to tenperal artritis (random blindness in either eye), in hospital they thought it was a clot on the mitral valve and pumped me full of braod spectrum antibiotics, I didn't need them, when they found out what it was and put me back on the steroids my doctor had prescribed I got better, you'd think this would have been a lift but suddenly found myself really down (more than I could believe) one of the nurses bless him had a talk, just knowing I had an outlet was enough I think cause it went after a couple of days.
I was out a week later on a cruise (the wife refused to cancell) walking the street of Rome for four hours, did'nt think that I could be doing that.
Since then I've been fine, thanks in some part to this friendly forum
and recent family problems support from a member (you know who you are will PM shortly)

Wife recons it's because I'm a Libra
me too musky it's a balance thing
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco