Author Topic: suzuki clutch conversion  (Read 8681 times)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: suzuki clutch conversion
« Reply #15 on: 20.01. 2016 06:41 »
I see this metod being used all the time and wonder why people do it.
If you troll the pages of this forum you will find countless numbers of owners who have needd to pull their freshly rebuilt engine &/or box out of the freshly restored frame one time too many resulting in lots of damage to the nice new paint work.

Always best to sort out the engine & box befofe you think of touching any frame part ( brakes excluded ). Put up a thousand or two miles on it to prove its reliability then pull down & do the cosmetics.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 21.02. 2016 17:56 »
Hi All,
Theres a post on the Britbike forum by Andy Higham who is building a hotted up BSA B31 and fittng a Suzuki clutch
I like the method he has used to get the Suzuki inner drum to fit the BSA shaft adaptor  *bright idea*
It will add a little weight but will be much stronger than having splines in the ally

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=641070&#Post641070

Cheers
John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #17 on: 21.02. 2016 20:19 »
Thats a nice job he's done and quite clear.

What he hasnt done (yet?) is machined down the basket as they are very tall and wont fit inside standard primary covers. He has also removed the strengthening steel band that supports the basket at its weakest. Personally i wouldnt do that.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 21.02. 2016 21:03 »
That's an excellent idea for mounting inner basket. Now who has a rusty old 4 spring basket they would part with??

I will try and get some more pictures up.

I know there is a thousand ways to do this, if my way works out I will post some detailed pics and measurements so everyone at least has an idea of what they need and what's involved if they decide to go this way.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 21.02. 2016 21:14 »
 Speaking of baskets that fit the a10 four spring adaptor, are there any others? Like a 3 spring or a65 etc?

I am just going to cut the adaptor out of it anyway, I just need one that fits.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 21.02. 2016 22:02 »
In my case I didnt have anything other than 6 spring parts, but if you do then the 3 or 4 spring parts look like a good option
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 21.02. 2016 22:24 »
RR,

Are the adaptor splines for the four spring and six spring the same? If so, I have a couple 6 spring baskets that are in rough shape and OK to use as donors.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 21.02. 2016 23:06 »
Hi,
The A65 and Triumph clutch inner baskets are built up and have a shock absorber inbuit
The splined centre has 3 or 4 legs that fit between the rubber buffers in the unit
I cant see how these could be used, unless a flange is welded on ???
The 6 spring inner only has a very narrow width on the splines, so not a good piece of engineering
Heres a link to a solid type (rusty)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Pre-Unit-Clutch-Centre-also-Tiger-70-80-3H-3HW-New-Old-Stock-T417-/262300423104?hash=item3d1252d3c0:g:pBQAAOSwll1WyWnR

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 22.02. 2016 02:52 »
As John mentions the 6 spring parts are not much use in a conversion, hence why I went down a bespoke road.
I'm happy with my non std centre and the direct application to alloy as a one off build
New Zealand

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 03.04. 2016 13:48 »
 Guys,

Do you have to shorten the inner clutch basket because stock uses 6 disks, and now we are using 5? It "looks" like nothing needs to be done here, but I want to make sure as this is the time its easy to modify.

Its a good thing I dont have to pay myself a labor rate, thats for sure. And with every part being a one-off, I hope nothing ever goes wrong with it either! *conf*

Lee

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 03.04. 2016 22:04 »
Guys,

Do you have to shorten the inner clutch basket because stock uses 6 disks, and now we are using 5? It "looks" like nothing needs to be done here, but I want to make sure as this is the time its easy to modify.

Its a good thing I dont have to pay myself a labor rate, thats for sure. And with every part being a one-off, I hope nothing ever goes wrong with it either! *conf*

Lee

Mines' back in the bike so I cannot recall how many plates I used; but the inner plate carrier was unchanged.
It was only the outer basket we removed the steel ring from and shortened, then refitted the steel ring.
I don't have massive clearance between the clutch and the outer case, but there is clearance.
New Zealand

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 04.04. 2016 01:29 »
 Thanks RR,

I shortened the outer basket and re-used the steel support ring, the inner looks ok,. My concern was if I will get enough spring/ clamping pressure against the frictions so I don't have slip when I remove a plate.

Lee

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 04.04. 2016 01:45 »
Lee,
with my basket machined enough to clear the outer cover, I recall when I initially reassembled; the plates were not under any pressure and even rattled, so I had to get an extra plate. Once I had contact between the end plate and the basket inner through the plates I was fine.  But I can't tell you readily how many plates that resulted in.
Just that in my case I didnt need to modify the inner at all. If I wanted to reduce the number of plates from the number I ended up with something would have had to be changed.
In my case it was very clear it wouldnt work as initially assembled and fitting a further plate was the easiest option.
There was certainly no middle point where the spring tension came into play.
The (6) sprung bolts on mine are done up tight, unlike a typical british clutch where tension is variable with a nut on a stud.
Sounds like you need to mock assemble. As mine's in the bike I'm not readily able to confirm heights or plate numbers.
Tim
New Zealand

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 04.04. 2016 19:49 »
It's getting close to a bit of assembly, but not  quite yet.
Once I get mounting the inner basket done and everything looks good I am going to post some pics.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 22.05. 2016 23:12 »
OK, outer basket is done. I made a sleeve to hold the bearing, which is backed up by a snap ring. The bearing is an R22. Thanks to Mr. Greybeard, I got a sprocket, that and the outer basket were both press fits onto the sleeve. The three reduced height socket head cap screws bolt them together. The bearing is a press fit into the sleeve.