Author Topic: Solid carbon fibre head gasket  (Read 3584 times)

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
Solid carbon fibre head gasket
« on: 20.11. 2015 02:41 »
Has any one fitted the solid carbon fibre head gasket to a A10 that Draganfly supply now, if so how did it go? any feed back would be appreciated  *conf2*

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Solid carbon fibre head gasket
« Reply #1 on: 20.11. 2015 12:47 »
Got one on the plunger for about 1000 miles now. Gave it a couple of good trashings but held perfectly. Retorqued the head at 500 miles but needed nearly nothing. There where only 2 bolts that needed a very little tightening. All the others where still spot on
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 22.11. 2015 05:36 »
Thanks Morris for the feedback, I though I would stir a hornets nest what with all the hype about solid copper head gaskets!
I have fitted the solid carbon head gasket and puled it down to 30 Ft/Lb- 40.7 NM.
 "I think"? it will not be necessary to retighten the head using that gasket which would be grate not having to pull the rocker box off to do it, going on what you said and my experience with that type of gasket it shouldn't be necessary to retighten the head.
Having said that, it will be some time before I put my theory to the test as I'm doing a complete restoration of a A10 1958 and don't expect to have it going for at least 6 months.
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 22.11. 2015 10:47 »
I think this is an interesting concept of the head gasket, I know I supply solid copper head gaskets for the M20s also the rocker box gaskets for the A7/A10 but I may try one of these for myself on the next strip down, at the moment all my time is working on a A7 which I bought earlier on in the year, a 1956 s/a with no documents but it all looked good when I got it, apparently it had been partially reconditioned by someone who had since died, I noticed that it had new gaskets & the pistons looked like new from the plug holes, frame had been powder coated, I had to get some new rims & spokes plus exhaust system, mag overhaul. I stuck a new Makuni carb on it and she fired up first kick, its just the finishing off now. *beer*

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 25.01. 2017 12:07 »
Just a up date on the solid carbon fibre head gasket, I now have done over 2000 miles since fitting it and have not re-tightened the head, it is running good and has no oil leaks, I will certainly be using these head gaskets in future.
I have done a few runs of over 300K with it, one of which the temperature got to 37c and speeds up to 110KPH, so I think if it was going to have a problem it would haven shown up then  *smile*
Peter   

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 25.01. 2017 19:29 »
G'day Peter, thanks for the update. Good to hear of a new product that works. How thick was the gasket and could you mark it with a fingernail (soft enough to conform with irregularities)?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 25.01. 2017 20:14 »
G'day Peter, thanks for the update. Good to hear of a new product that works. How thick was the gasket and could you mark it with a fingernail (soft enough to conform with irregularities)?
Cheers

Always looking for that extra bit of compression! *smile*
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 25.01. 2017 20:40 »
hi guys, nice looking bike Pete, do you think that  the carbon fiber gasket would be good for Ali heads, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 26.01. 2017 05:01 »
Hi Musky, as fare as I can remember it was about 1/8" thick and was quite hard, not sure if you could mark it with you fingernail thou?
Hi Kiwipom, thanks for that, can't see why it would not be OK for Ali head. suppose I should show you what the A10 looked like before I restored it.
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #9 on: 26.01. 2017 09:08 »
I suspect kiwipom is considering the need for the gasket to conduct heat away from the head via the barrel, which copper does well.
So I quickly googled (knowing jack shit about carbon fibres properties and found: "So...Is Carbon Fiber a good heat conductor?
As usual the answer is "it depends." The short answer is NO not when regular carbon fiber is made up in regular epoxy and expected to conduct heat across the thickness. IF a highly carbonized pan fiber with graphite or diamond added, is measured for heat transmission in the length of the fiber it is very good and can rival and exceed copper."
not my words.
I've not had problems with copper, so will stick with what I know works for me.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 26.01. 2017 14:22 »
1/8" thick sounds a bit much. I believe the solid copper and and the sandwich type with asbestos filling Yum! Yum! is only about 1mm thick.

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 26.01. 2017 21:44 »
hi guys, Peter as r/r Tim says the heat transfer could be a slight or big problem however seems to work ok with iron head. Your restro looks like it would have been challenging to say the least but looked all there so maybe not to many parts to replace/buy so very well done, cheers 
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 26.01. 2017 21:55 »
Well, there goes the patina.  *smile* ;)

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 26.01. 2017 23:58 »
I have a new sandwich type head gasket so measured it, it is about .080 thick or just over 2 mm and from memory the carbon fiber gasket was about the same thickness or a bit thinner so my 1/8 thick guess could be a bit out, may be someone has one and can measure it?
I would have thought that keeping the heat away from the barrel would have been a good thing? And think about the original head gasket that would have been a good insulator.
Peter *doubt*

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 27.01. 2017 00:19 »
On my competition singles,  I omit the head gasket and lap head and barrel together deliberately  to get the heat out of the head and onto the barrel as fast as possible so it may be an advantage on A7/10
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA