Author Topic: light switch  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
light switch
« on: 16.04. 2009 21:07 »
Me again!! Do the numbers on the light switch start from 1 (looking from underneath) and go clockwise to 7?  I'm rewiring with new switch,harness etc before changing to 12v . When I turn the switch one step to the right I get headlights, full & dip,rear,pilot, but no speedo light. When I go to the right again (which I would have thought was the headlights) it shows as a short, full discharge. Any ideas will be welcome. cheers, Tony.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: light switch
« Reply #1 on: 16.04. 2009 22:06 »
The tail light is connected to the speedo light and both wires go to terminal 5. You can tell which way the terminals are numbered by looking at the moving contacts of the switch in the different knob positions:

Left, Off: 7,6 & 5 are shorted together by the moving contacts.
Centre, Sidelight: 5,4 & 3 are shorted together by the moving contacts
Right, Headlight: 3,2 & 1 are shorted together by the moving contacts, the moving contacts are also linked  to terminal 5 in all switch positions

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 16.04. 2009 23:05 »
Thanks Fido, Just had a look at my switch,when left position the nipple bit is between 4&5 and the pivot (earth) is next to 7, centre, nipple is between 3&4 with pivot not touching either 1 or 7, right is as you say 3 &2 together with pivot on 1, I don't understand why when I've followed the wiring diagram the centre works the headlights and the right a dead short.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 17.04. 2009 07:55 »
None of the connections should go to earth, it sounds like that's where your short circuit comes from  *conf*

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 17.04. 2009 19:28 »
Fido, on the back of the switch it has 7 connections plus a rocker type connection, is this rocker one an earth connection?