Author Topic: Progressive springs  (Read 2418 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Progressive springs
« on: 25.04. 2009 10:53 »
Has anyone fitted progressive front fork springs to their A10 or A7? My forks are sagging and would benefit from a set of new springs. I thought that it might be a good idea to ask if anyone has tried them before I commit myself.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Progressive springs
« Reply #1 on: 25.04. 2009 22:50 »
see http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=700.0

maybe Bill has some updates.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 26.04. 2009 09:45 »
As you can see it's not yet roadborn, so sorry I can't help at this moment, but they should give a better ride
My ex employer called a while back to see if I could help out as their busy lambing and needed grass rolled so this has taken up about five weeks so far and probably a week more, it's suits me fine as it's entirely flexable if it rains I go home and if I want to go anywhere I just take a day off.
Does mean the project is stalled for a bit though.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #3 on: 26.04. 2009 14:34 »
I think that I will go ahead and fit a set. I do intend to do a complete fork overhaul while I am at it. One thing that puzzles me though is the shimming process. The BSA servicing instructions makes mention of the fact that incorrect shimming will cause the forks to rattle, but omit to mention exactly how to determine the correct shim set up. Is this something that will be obvious on strip down?

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 26.04. 2009 14:50 »
You just fit shims to take up any play betwixt bush and circlip ( shims go under bush flange if I recall)
This can be a time consuming job of trail and error if you wont to keep the shims intact, but a shortcut is to cut the shims with a sharp pair of scissors so you don't have to dismantle to much - not a method I'm happy with.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 26.04. 2009 17:21 »
Mine has the Goff progressive springs fitted, and they are a lot better than the old soggy standard ones I took off.

But I can't give a fair comparison between a good standard pair and the progressive. Comfort better I would say, but not sure about roadholding or handling. Also fitted his dual rate damper rods which are a big improvement.

I need new rear shocks pretty certainly, and now I have discovered a return of rear wheel play, largely cured by a new bearing and a bit of loctite (stub axle to sprocket) last year.

Along similar lines to the original enquiry has anyone got the NJB shocks fitted and if so how do you find them? They are a good price and I don't need anything fancy.

Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com