Author Topic: badly worn auto a/r  (Read 887 times)

Online mugwump

• A's Good Friend
badly worn auto a/r
« on: 30.01. 2016 01:05 »
How repairable is the auto a/r for the K2f mag.
The pivot pins and respective holes in the weights/toggles are very sloppy. The device can move to approx mid way to fully advanced before the springs ( which are not stretched) take effect.
Is it practical to try and bush the pivot pins and how is the main bolt fully removed.
thanks

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: badly worn auto a/r
« Reply #1 on: 30.01. 2016 09:24 »
The bolt screws out clockwise, by the external coarse left-hand thread.

It's tricky to get started, because the threads will be a bit squashed.

Online mugwump

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 31.01. 2016 16:22 »
Thanks Triton, but where' Groily when you need him. Have I got to go to the AMOC forum to find him!!

60'Matchy G12
58 AJS 18s
58 Ariel Huntmaster]

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3 on: 31.01. 2016 16:46 »
Ha! I'm here. What TT said is dead right.
Except the bolt sometimes still won't come if the left hand thread is too messed up. Which happens now and then, because it is such a ridiculously poor design. I just can't believe that anyone could with a clear conscience have said that a turn of thread constitues a shoulder fit for extracting something that can be on quite tight.
In such cases, I usually take the ATD apart and make another bolt. Which is a poor use of time if ever there was. Luckily, the thread in the ATD itself usually survives.
A really lousy bit of kit in this one respect - it could have been so much better!
Bill

Offline Phil

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 14.04. 2016 13:23 »
The bolt screws out clockwise, by the external coarse left-hand thread.

Is this correct? The manual states" it is a normal right hand thread: it will slacken initially, then commence to tighten as it draws off the shaft. Continue unscrewing until the pinion pulls clear"

I'm trying to remove My magneto at present but without success, the retaining bolt just unscrews?

Update, Ok understand how it works now, unfortunately the external threads were stripped so once the sleeve nut was removed a little tap with a centre punch removed stuck advance/retard mech.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #5 on: 15.04. 2016 11:30 »
'Tis right, yes. You unscrew the usual way to get the bolt undone from the mag and then get the gear off the taper (when the left hand thread's first turn is used as a shoulder for extraction). Like the book says. But to get the bolt out of the atd itself you turn it clockwise and take it out up the lh thread.  Sounds as if your lh thread is engaging nicely - that's a plus - but you want it to shove the gear off the taper by turning it the other way, before you think of removing it (if you even want to).
Bill