Author Topic: first kick start for 2016!!  (Read 378 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
first kick start for 2016!!
« on: 11.04. 2016 12:23 »
Oh boy have I got a smile on my ugly gob , went on the first run out of the year yesterday ( sunday ) and on the Saturday night just before dark I'd finished getting the bike sorted and ready for the next day ,I flooded the carb (same muck from last year )and was rewarded with a instant start ,first kick ran her long enough to get a tickover as well ,to say I was chuffed is the understatement of the year . The run was just on a 100 miles to Lynn Ravens truckstop at Prees heath, good day plenty of bikes I'll post pictures later but the bike didn't miss a beat.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
Re: first kick start for 2016!!
« Reply #1 on: 11.04. 2016 22:10 »
Decided to get my Bitza A10 out today after 3 months. Started 2nd kick but ran very rough and would not tick over. Drained tank, put fresh fuel in and it ran fine. I must have forgotten to put fule stabilizer in. The Super Rocket sits for half a year at a time but runs fine on olf fuel when I have remembered to put stabilizer in the fuel.
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.04. 2016 13:24 »
My iron head started and ran fine after probly at least a 4 month lay up. Odd how some bikes take against old fuel.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 12.04. 2016 19:28 »
Mine was 8am 01/01/16. First kick as normal, 365 days a year  *grins* *lol*
I do feel sorry for you poor buggas in the cold climates having to lay the bikes up for a 1/4 of the year. Do they make snow chains for bikes?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 12.04. 2016 19:38 »
I want to avoid road salt getting on my very expensive chrome and of course it's cold but if I was still working I might keep a motorcycle on the road during the winter; I don't need to that's all.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 14.04. 2016 08:39 »
More like a third of the year. I'm with GB on this - don't mind the wet, don't even mind a bit of snow; it's the salt, and they're mighty free and easy with laying it down around my way. Most of my bikes I will not take out on salt at all. 

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 14.04. 2016 09:57 »
and they're mighty free and easy with laying it down around my way.

Lucky you, we never see salt/grit or a snow plough until it's all away, bit of the sword of Damocles with salt it does help if put down BEFORE the snow and ice arrive 
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 14.04. 2016 10:59 »
We get salt laid on a perfectly dry but cold surface. Being hydroscopic (I presume), come the morning you’re faced with a nasty damp slick surface on the road, whilst the pavements (sidewalks in US speak I guess) are still lovely and dry. So I’m paying for the salt, and I’m paying for guys to spread this sh1t overnight, so that the roads can be more dangerous to drive on. And meantime, most drivers have lost sight of the fact that it might be sensible to drive a little more circumspectly when the temperatures are down.   

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 14.04. 2016 11:28 »
...meantime, most drivers have lost sight of the fact that it might be sensible to drive a little more circumspectly when the temperatures are down.
Agreed. I've said it before, (and I'll say it again) the UK driving test is not hard enough. I'd also like to see periodic re-tests. Fortunately I am the worlds best driver but I took my car test nearly fifty years ago and my motorcycle test about five years later. I mean, I had to do hand signals; I don't think they are in the test any more. Younger drivers following me on my A10 think I'm periodically testing for rain!