Author Topic: 1952 A 7 plunger, bend pipes & silencers  (Read 747 times)

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
1952 A 7 plunger, bend pipes & silencers
« on: 23.05. 2016 12:13 »
Hi Guys

back again to bother you. Just finishing restoration of the A 7 but dont have the bend pipes & silencers. as the bike came as a basket case.
Would be grateful for any details & photos of front & side views to establish the shape of bend & mounting details
Thanks
Anji

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: 1952 A 7 plunger, bend pipes & silencers
« Reply #1 on: 23.05. 2016 12:22 »
Surely you are not considering fabricating pipes?! Are you not able to get stuff shipped to India? Might be expensive shipping costs but would save a lot of aggravation. The exhaust parts I bought from Fecked UK, (http://www.feked.com/exhausts/bsa-exhausts/) three years ago fitted well. I did have to change one of the silencers as it had a loose baffle.

I will take some pictures later if you want them.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 23.05. 2016 12:49 »
G'day Anji.
Here's some pics of mine. The only difference from standard is the bend from head to front mount should be a continuous bend where mine straightens a bit.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #3 on: 23.05. 2016 13:31 »
Surely you are not considering fabricating pipes?! Are you not able to get stuff shipped to India? Might be expensive shipping costs but would save a lot of aggravation. The exhaust parts I bought from Fecked UK, (http://www.feked.com/exhausts/bsa-exhausts/) three years ago fitted well. I did have to change one of the silencers as it had a loose baffle.

I will take some pictures later if you want them.
Hi Greybeard
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have had bend pipes & silencers made here for my Flash, Norton Dommi & BMW. Will put up some photos of these. Never done it for an A7 therefore need to know the bends / curvature of the pipes. Usually takes about 2 to 3 days & then time for chroming. I would appreciate some photos, If you could spare the time
Thanks
Anji

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #4 on: 23.05. 2016 13:37 »
G'day Anji.
Here's some pics of mine. The only difference from standard is the bend from head to front mount should be a continuous bend where mine straightens a bit.
Hi Muskrat
Thanks  ton for the photos. They will definitely make life much easier. Hows life treating you otherwise. Done any long rides recently?
To celebrate the Golden anniversary of my ride back from UK in 1965, a bunch of us did a ride here over 8 days & covered approx 1800 kms. Went down to Goa via the mountains & returned by the coast. Took the Flash along & she purred all the way.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 23.05. 2016 14:27 »
Some snaps of my '55 Plunger exhausts
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 23.05. 2016 14:29 »
Some snaps of my '55 Plunger exhausts
I was doing woodwork yesterday; the machine is covered in sawdust!  *red*

Let me know if you need more details.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 24.05. 2016 06:00 »
hi guys, Greybeard (Are you not able to get stuff shipped to India?) coals to Newcastle comes to mind, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 24.05. 2016 10:56 »
 Hi Anji, Is yours a Short or Long Stroke stroke A7?
  I was looking into making some (or have made) a while ago for my Plunger A10, and did some calculating, based on my old pipes (origin unknown).

I laid them on a piece of ply and drew around them, and calculated the radii as best I could. If I'm not working tomorrow, I'll dig it out, but from memory, the top radius was maybe ~3,1/2", flowing (no straight) into the bottom radius of maybe ~ 11" (or and a half) with a ~40º(or ~50º, depending on datum and memory ) offset into the head.
 I probably don't need to tell you how to suck eggs, but as I discovered from a crap set of pipes, there's a need for ~40mm (30+~10mm) straight before the top bend starts to allow for the finned 'deco-clamp' to sit square

I expect there will be a height difference (distance from Ex port to bottom run beside frame *dunno*) between the Short/Long stroke, and A10 ?

I had some header pipes made for my Gutzzi, a while ago and the measurements were way out of whack, but it wasn't too hard to realign them *work* *bash* *beer*, as they are in the same vertical plane (re-cut 'n re-weld)

Hope that's a bit of help? (I'v erun out of steam)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia