Author Topic: Super Rocket rear brakes  (Read 471 times)

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
Super Rocket rear brakes
« on: 10.07. 2016 22:44 »
I'm slowly picking away at neglected areas of this 63 Super Rocket which came to me in running condition, although it didn't run well above 2500 rpm, nor did it have functioning brakes or clutch.
The engine now runs quite nicely, the clutch is very nice and a 2 ls front brake has now been fitted.
That left the rear brake to fix, it was completely ineffective due to worn out linings.
Using the parts book I have , which is dated 1961, I ordered new rear brake shoes from BritCycle Supply in Nova Scotia. They've been a really good and fast supplier.
The cam end of the shoes was .140" too wide to fit the cam, so I clamped them up in the mill and removed. 070" from each side right at the end.
Other than that they were about ideal. The assembled brake plate and shoe assembly wouldn't quite push into the drum. I was tempted to make up a mandrel and turn the linings to a proper circle, but reminded myself that this is only a rear brake and I don't want it to be overly strong anyway.

In the end I just used 120 grit emery to remove some material from the linings. Twenty minutes of hand work got the brake plate and shoes fully into the drum, another twenty minutes removed the high spots and gave a little working clearance.
Out on the road the brake was working but pretty weak initially. Five miles and several applications later and it would lock up with effort on gravel but not come close to locking up on pavement.

Another ten miles of riding with frequent stopping to bed in the brake and now it locks the wheel on pavement fairly easily. Nice to hear that howl from the back and see a long black stripe laid down on the asphalt.
It's plenty strong now.
The linings are grey in colour.

Glen

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Super Rocket rear brakes
« Reply #1 on: 11.07. 2016 13:26 »
 Hi Glen, I had to chuckle at this:
"The cam end of the shoes was .140 too wide to fit the cam, so I clamped them up in the mill and removed. 070" from each side right at the end.
Other than that they were about ideal. "

I do the maintenance on my daily driver, a 2011 Volkwagon Jetta Diesel. If I bought new brake parts from Volkswagon that I had to mill down to fit, I would be on my way to Germany with a pitchfork right now.

But suppliers have beaten us down so far with the BSA stuff, that if we have to bend it to fit, file out all the holes to mount it, and weld 3 more tabs to it before we can use it, we consider that a perfectly exceptable replacement part.  *ex*

Just a chuckle with my morning coffee.

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 11.07. 2016 15:43 »
Oh, I know, you shouldn't require a milling machine to fit brake shoes.
When I first went round looking at the local Vincents I noticed every serious owner/rider had a mill and a lathe. At the time I thought that was strange.
Now I'm one of those guys
The good news is that the same mill and lathe that I purchased for Vincent work also work on BSA's, Nortons  etc.:-)

Glen

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 11.07. 2016 21:43 »
HI Glen and All,
Yes Indeed a lathe and mill are essential if working on old stuff
I just finished rebuilding a Rudge Special 4 valve head, The only source of parts is Rudgespares but they are closed due to relocation at present  :(
I searched around the workshop and found that A10  valve guides have the same inside and outside dimensions
I shortened the guides to the Rudge dimensions and machined down A10 exhaust valve heads to suit the recut seats,the stems were shortening and collet tapers machined in
Finally A10 head bolts were shortened to suit  *work* *work* *work* ;D ;D

John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)