Author Topic: Fork oil and damping...  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
Fork oil and damping...
« on: 15.07. 2016 11:37 »
Finally got the A10 running after total mag rebuilt, thus having chance too take her for a   blast. 1st thing apparent was the forks bottoming out badly. On inspection I noticed the chrome shroud cover on right leg has displaced thus exposing the spring. I'm unable to re seat it. Any advice.
I took off both nuts at top of fork legs and dipped the oil and there was about 1.5 inches of creme at bottom of each leg.
So second question is how do I drain them, and how much in each leg do I put in?(  I take it you fill from the top nuts.)
Any help much appreciated.
Paddy.

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
Re: Fork oil and damping...
« Reply #1 on: 15.07. 2016 12:59 »
Fork showing loose cover.

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 15.07. 2016 14:09 »
The chrome seal holder has sheared, will mean complete fork strip and replacement seal holders and seals. The fork leg drain in via small blanking screw on bottom of leg.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #3 on: 15.07. 2016 20:21 »
The chrome seal holder has sheared, will mean complete fork strip and replacement seal holders and seals. The fork leg drain in via small blanking screw on bottom of leg.
Thanks For info.
 How does one go about this job?
Any recommendations for where u can locate parts needed?
Do I need any special tools and how difficult a job is it?

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 15.07. 2016 20:41 »
Hi Padster'

213cc of oil in each leg. I use heavy fork oil, I think its 30w and dampens the forks nicely.    *smiley4*

ELLIS

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 15.07. 2016 20:43 »
Its not the easiest of jobs, and some tooling is required, all is commercially available, but depends on your basic skills and facilities as they can be manufactured simply. Fork strip down topic is well documented on this forum.
The seal holders can be sourced in stainless for not much more the chromed steel, that the route I went.
The two tools required are a device for removing the seal holders, this is a hollow tube which fits over the fork stanchions and has two tangs to locate into the slots in the seal holders. The other tool is to aid assembly of the forks back into the steering yokes, this has a male thread to screw into the fork stanchions, people use an old fork top and weld some threaded rod to it. This tool can be substituted by the use of a round dowl, this is screwed into the stanchion thread. The bike needs to be lifted high at the front, tie some rope around the yokes and lift up via the yokes.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Padsta33

• The Padmiester.
  • A's Good Friend
  • Banjoist & Beezer nut.
« Reply #6 on: 16.07. 2016 05:33 »
Sounds a bit of a job.
I'm not the most mechanically minded or patient chap.
If there is any one close to Cornwall (NE Cornwall/Devon border) who would like to lend a hand I'd be very grateful. Willing to pay fuel and supply pasties/coffee etc...
Anyone.....?

BSA crazy
1957 A10 ratlook!

Offline Waterman

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 18.07. 2017 07:39 »
Hi folks sorry to jump in on this thread, can someone please show me the location of the drain screw/s. A photo would be appreciated. This may be nominated a thickest question of the week! I have tried to see the location but with the bike currently in storage it's difficult to see properly.

Thanks in advance Andy

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 18.07. 2017 08:18 »

If one was on a budget or wanting to make the most of summer *whistle* I'd be tempted to clean the seal up, and glue it back into position, then change the fork oil, job done!

It will need proper attention some time soon though  *work*

Water does get into the lower fork legs and hence oil, as water gets onto the top of the seals from the gaps in the fork shrouds higher up, and leaks down into the legs.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 18.07. 2017 09:06 »
Hi folks sorry to jump in on this thread, can someone please show me the location of the drain screw/s. A photo would be appreciated. This may be nominated a thickest question of the week! I have tried to see the location but with the bike currently in storage it's difficult to see properly.

Thanks in advance Andy

See arrow.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 18.07. 2017 11:55 »
And the next question is......  how do you seal the buggers ?? My right hand fork stantion just wont seal best results I've had were string wrapped around the screw but fibre washers just leak ,the other side is dry and no problem ,any ideas gratefully rec'd
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 18.07. 2017 12:27 »
And the next question is......  how do you seal the buggers ?? My right hand fork stantion just wont seal best results I've had were string wrapped around the screw but fibre washers just leak ,the other side is dry and no problem ,any ideas gratefully rec'd

Thread lock or ptfe tape.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #12 on: 18.07. 2017 15:59 »
Snap Topdad, Snap first ever advisory on the A10 and they are leaking like a sieve. Have tried new fibre washers, new rubber(nitrile stuff) washers and PTFE tap and sealant. I have now parking it next to the Notrun to see which can leave the biggest puddle  *smile*
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 18.07. 2017 16:22 »
Snap Topdad, Snap first ever advisory on the A10 and they are leaking like a sieve. Have tried new fibre washers, new rubber(nitrile stuff) washers and PTFE tap and sealant. I have now parking it next to the Notrun to see which can leave the biggest puddle  *smile*
Try a small O ring.
If I get a leak with a fibre washer I just swap it for a rubber o ring. So far it's worked every time.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 18.07. 2017 16:39 »

Bob,

Haven't tried it myself, but how about this idea? Create a lapping tool with a pilot the size of the screw' s outside diameter and the largest shoulder that will clear any obstruction around where the head of the screw lands. Apply valve lapping compound to the shoulder and give it a spin in a drill motor to create a good seat for the fiber wssher. Of course,  use new screws. I suppose you could do the reverse on the screws themselve to perfect the finish on the undersides of the heads.

Richard L.