Author Topic: I've killed my spark and fuel supply - how on earth...?  (Read 4236 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: I've killed my spark and fuel supply - how on earth...?
« Reply #45 on: 04.08. 2016 20:24 »
I think what you would be looking for is the earth brush holder washer. I suppose you could get it from Bright Spark Magnetos, Priory Magnetos or SRM. SRM shows it on their website, though, I guess I was expecting to see a shouldered washer. I've never really seen one before because both of my end caps are the bakelite type.

Richard L.

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #46 on: 04.08. 2016 22:19 »
Richard L is right about the insulating washer being missing. Have you got some more H.T. lead? If so change the leads (easy job) and try again with them close to the engine. When you unscrew the connectors give the inside a clean up.

Personally, I don't think your condenser has gone as they usually work when the mag is cold, and start to fail when they get warm. Yours sadly, is stone cold now. *sad2*

Keep going, we'll get there!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #47 on: 04.08. 2016 22:43 »
So, if you replace the insulating washer (where did the old one go?) or remove the brush, you may have a running engine.

Although with no brush you have no good way to stop the engine.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #48 on: 05.08. 2016 01:02 »

Well, the brush is there, so I'm sure TT meant, "with no wire between the brush and a kill switch you have no way to stop the engine." On the other hand, up until now, with no insulating washer, it has been pretty effective at stopping the engine.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #49 on: 05.08. 2016 01:40 »

Well, the brush is there, so I'm sure TT meant, "with no wire between the brush and a kill switch you have no way to stop the engine." .......

Richard L.

I read it as "...or remove the brush,...", just to test it with the cover on... (?)

On the other hand, up until now, with no insulating washer, it has been pretty effective at stopping the engine

*smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #50 on: 05.08. 2016 03:30 »
Yep. You're right. Missed that.

You can always stop the engine by pulling off the plug caps or, maybe, popping the clutch too fast.

Richard L.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #51 on: 05.08. 2016 07:34 »
This always had the smell of a low tension problem.

But what is quite intriguing is how, if the only thing that was ever done to the instrument was a bit of a clean-up at the points, the insulation arrangement of the engine-stop brush could have altered.

With a meter, the brush should show no continuity to the alloy with the cover off, measuring from the carbon or from the stud/tag for the stop wire.
With the cover on, you'd expect a very low resistance reading from the stop wire to the bike, representing the 1/2 ohm resistance of the low tension winding (from cb centre screw head to main magneto earth), plus any small resistance across the brush and spring.

If the bike ran perfectly before, and if the problem is the simple fault described, the bike should run again with the brush removed or freshly insulated, using any suitable washer in fibre or plastic.
Bill

Offline CrispinA10

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 Super Rocket in RGS spec. 1965 Enfield GT
« Reply #52 on: 05.08. 2016 08:55 »
Failed to find the washer in the fading light last night, although it was a good three weeks ago that I must have displaced it while removing the cap so not surprising. Will attempt to start the bike without the cap, and if no luck, try new leads. I ordered a new box of brushes too, which should arrive today. Then I'll attempt to source or make a new insulating washer - I assume fibre would work as well as cork.
Getting there....many, many thanks to everyone.

Offline CrispinA10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #53 on: 05.08. 2016 09:16 »
Can't believe how lucky I am to have Roadstar British Motorcycles 18 miles up the road at Dover. Just phoned and they have in stock both types of brush holder washers for K2F magnetos. Off I go.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #54 on: 05.08. 2016 09:22 »
Will attempt to start the bike without the cap,

be aware the cap keeps the camring in place, just check it hasn't moved outwards and turned when your about to replace the cap
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #55 on: 05.08. 2016 09:30 »
Jumping in with no experience of that type of endcap: if you're talking about the big washer; I can't see how that insulates anything; surely it's just to keep water out of the points. I guess without it the cap may go on too far and cause a problem.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #56 on: 05.08. 2016 09:53 »

My interpretation;-
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline CrispinA10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #57 on: 05.08. 2016 11:23 »
Just back from bike shop at Dover - was offered the black ring thing but after explanation came home with the cork/fibre washer. The bike is now outside ticking over like a dream and twittering gently - off for a quick blat and will then post again. Yes!!!

Offline CrispinA10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #58 on: 05.08. 2016 12:02 »
It is running perfectly - a heartlifting blat around the country lanes with the sun shining. I'm so pleased and grateful. Although it turned out to be something so basic I have at least learned a lot more about the magneto along the way. I do recall that when I removed the cap to clean the points that turning the nut on the kill lead loosened off the brush holder inside - the insulation must have slipped out at that point and disappeared into the frame below, creating my very own and highly effective permanent kill switch.
Again, thanks to everyone who helped solve the problem - much appreciated.
Right - off for another celebration ride!

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #59 on: 05.08. 2016 13:37 »
 *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash