Author Topic: Stiff Kick-starter  (Read 932 times)

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
Stiff Kick-starter
« on: 18.07. 2016 19:46 »
When starting the bike it feels like I have far to much compression. Sometimes I can stand on the kick-start and the engine only turns over very slowly. I am 15 stone so should be able to kick it over no problem.
I'm sure its not too much compression as the bike is a 1960 BSA Gold Flash with I presume about 6.5 or 7 to one compression. I have read somewhere about the quadrant in the gearbox causing it to feel very stiff. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers ELLIS.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Stiff Kick-starter
« Reply #1 on: 18.07. 2016 20:04 »
G'day ellis.
Has it just started doing this? Have you changed anything recently? There are two types of quadrant and pinion, pointy tooth and flat top tooth, that won't mix. A worn pinion bush can cause them to jam now and then.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 18.07. 2016 22:09 »
Hi muskrat,

It has always felt a bit stiff since I bought the bike last year but has gradually got worse. I have not opened the gearbox up yet. I was just waiting for some comments as to the problem. If it turns out to be the Quadrant and pinion how difficult is it to replace them, and can you suggest a good supplier.

Thanks 

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 19.07. 2016 04:41 »

Hiya ellis, it's not hard- (generally) fairly straight forward.
 A basic precis: A need to remove the outer cover;

STEPS #1- #4; THIS IS A RECONNAISSANCE MISSION TO DETERMINE WHAT YOU NEED *ex*

1) Before removing the outer cover, undo speedo cable and the kickstart cotter pin nut and ensure the pin is loose ( probably a bit easier in situ), leave pin/kick-lever in place. 
 2) Remove the outer cover (requires slight downturn against spring pressure to ease off backstop- then hold kick lever in place with clutch arm as cover is removed), undo the mainshaft nut/ remove ratchet gear/bush/ratchet/replace with new one(s)/replace mainshaft nut.
 3) Having pre-loosened cotter-pin/remove kick lever/, 'quadrant' will come out (I think)with spacer ring behind.
 4) Replace 'quadrant' and reverse process.

***That's a basic overview, but having said all that, while you're in there it's probably a usual thing to have a look at the rest, but that requires removing the clutch *eek*

5) after you've determined what you need, order the bits and do it all again when they arrive *smile*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 19.07. 2016 05:15 »
Great step by step information, I look forward to the inspection.    *smile*

Cheers dutch

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 19.07. 2016 18:54 »
Post some happy snaps of the quad & pinion. I'd replace the pinion bush as a matter of course.
The kick & gear levers are good to pull the cover off with. The inner cover may try to follow, don't let it.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 19.07. 2016 19:39 »
Hi muskrat,

Not very good with posting pictures I'm afraid. Spoke to Draganfly this morning and ordered a new quadrant & pinion + a new bush as recommended by them. So hopefully be back on the road this weekend. Thanks for you information its always helpful.

Cheers *beer*
ELLIS

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: 20.07. 2016 18:55 »
While you're in there, have a look at the inner cover mainshaft bearing.
Won't be surprised if it's worn, as you mentioned that the problem gradually worsened?
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 01.08. 2016 22:22 »
Hi All,
New pinion and bush also renewed the quadrant. The main shaft bearing was good with no play. Feels really good now and has eliminated the kick-start
jamming. Thanks again for all your help it makes working on the bike so much easier.   *beer*