Author Topic: Front forks pinch bolt  (Read 639 times)

Offline BSAA10

• Moving Up
Front forks pinch bolt
« on: 28.07. 2016 09:02 »
Hello. On the end of my left hand fork there is a pinch bolt. I note that where the fork is split where the spindle goes through one portion is threaded the other is not. Which way does the pinch bolt go in? Threaded part first and the nut tightens the fork on the spindle or threaded part last and the bolt thread pulls the fork tight on the spindle? Excuse my ignorance, I hope I have explained this ok.

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
Re: Front forks pinch bolt
« Reply #1 on: 28.07. 2016 11:27 »
Have attached a photo of a front wheel, not mine, to show how the bolt is fitted.  Hope this helps.
Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #2 on: 28.07. 2016 14:12 »
The spindle is fitted first. Just in case you are unaware the spindle is a left hand thread. Once you have tightened the spindle you then insert the pinch bolt which is a normal right hand thread.  Do not over tighten the pinch bolt you need just enough torque to make the clamp grip. The BSA front wheel refitting instructions also say this: “It is most important that after the spindle has been tightened but before tightening the pinch bolt, the forks are bounced once or twice to enable the left hand fork end to position itself on the spindle shank. If this precaution is not observed, the left fork leg may be clamped out of alignment, and consequently  the forks will have little or no movement.”  So, the sequence is: fit spindle, bounce the forks a couple of times, then tighten the pinch bolt. I hope that helps.
John

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 29.07. 2016 00:23 »
Pinchbolt enter direction = through the plain section first then thread it into the threaded section and nip the bolt up, then screw on and tighten up the nut to lock.

Offline BSAA10

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 30.07. 2016 04:20 »
Thank you all