Author Topic: Unknown Plug in Gearbox  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Craig

• Moving Up
Unknown Plug in Gearbox
« on: 06.08. 2016 07:35 »
Hi

Wonder if group could advise me what is this "plug" in the bottom of the gearbox. Have a small oil leak around it which i want to sort out.
No reference to it in the workshop manual.

Cheers

beezermacc

Re: Unknown Plug in Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 06.08. 2016 08:32 »
This is the plug / sleeve which houses the camplate plunger and spring. You can remove it, along with the plunger and spring, without upsetting anything so you could put a fibre washer or PTFE tape on the threads. When you replace it you need to make sure there is adequate pressure on the plunger to hold the camplate in gear. If the bike's gearbox works OK now you should refit the unit with the same tension as you have currently.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 06.08. 2016 08:45 »

This is the plug / sleeve which houses the camplate plunger and spring. You can remove it, along with the plunger and spring, without upsetting anything so you could put a fibre washer or PTFE tape on the threads. When you replace it you need to make sure there is adequate pressure on the plunger to hold the camplate in gear. If the bike's gearbox works OK now you should refit the unit with the same tension as you have currently.

** Probably stating the obvious, but make sure you drain the oil first, otherwise you'll be upset *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 06.08. 2016 09:34 »
G'day Craig.
And usually done up so two threads are showing, meaning yours might be a bit tighter than required. It's a suck and see type thing. Too tight and gear selection can be stiff, too lose and she'll jump out or miss gears.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline u28909z

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 06.08. 2016 18:36 »
A word of warning if you use PTFE tape. I once split a pre unit Triumph gear casing because I put too much tape around the threads of the detent plunger, there was a sickening crack as I tightened it. Alloy castings are not good with too much tension.
Arthur

57 A10

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 08.08. 2016 14:29 »
Don't know if it's available in other parts of the world, but the best thing I've found (or actually, was shown by an old-time Honda mechanic) for sealing threaded fittings is called Rectorseal. It's actually for sealing pipe threads. A very thick paste. Works great on drain plugs, especiallly when they're old, worn, and possibly getting a bit loose fitting. Far better oil seal than teflon tape, in my experience, and doesn't add tension when tightening.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 08.08. 2016 20:18 »
I managed to stop the choking fit. Sounds like something you'd find in a gay bar or moped shop or to fix the plumbers crack  *shh*.
I use https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds/thread-sealants/permatex-high-performance-thread-sealant/
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 08.08. 2016 20:28 »
Hi,
Rectorseal

Something to quieten the Vicar???? *conf2* *whistle*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline cznorbert

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 13.07. 2022 07:51 »
Hi Gentlemens,

unfortunately I had to repair the gearbox because it got stuck in 4th gear

it was fixed but i don't know why it happened, i didn't see any wear on the gear shift mechanism

I'm writing because of that, how is the shaft marked G fixed? (pls. see attachment)

I pulled it free through the center cover, in my opinion it could be stuck in the shift mechanism
49 LS A7

Offline cznorbert

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 13.07. 2022 07:56 »
Also, how do you adjust the lower fixing pin?

I saw 5 threads , is it not too tight?

Could it have caused the gearbox to stick?

thanks for the help
49 LS A7

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 13.07. 2022 10:07 »
 Norbert, that shaft is fixed to the main casing by a small grubscrew, look under the dirt next to the sprocket.  Very awkward with the gearbox in place, it is underneath! Better done with gearbox removed, so leave alone if you can. The gear selector forks should slide easily along this shaft. With the grubscrew removed, the shaft will pull out.  Check  that the shaft is true, and not bowed or bent. When reassembling, leave  the grubscrew to last to avoid damaging the casting. All mentioned in previous gearbox posts.

The plunger, spring housing  (I think you called this the lower fixing pin) and spring simply unscrew, and with just a couple of the housing threads showing  below the locknut, reassembled into the gearbox should be a good starting point for adjustment. Too loose...jumps out of gear/won't change gear. Too tight... hard to change gear. 5 Threads showing is a bit too loose, screwing the housing into the gearbox puts more tension on the plunger spring. So, Yes, too loose could have been the problem.

This adjustment is critical as some spring tension is needed to enable the plunger to rotate the camplate, more influential in down changes, as well as hold the  plunger against the camplate notches and keep the gear selected, without being too tight, which makes the camplate harder to move.

Swarfy.

Offline cznorbert

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 15.07. 2022 08:14 »
Dear Swarfy,

thanks for the quick reply

real help, as always
49 LS A7