Author Topic: Maybe time for electric start - views?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
Maybe time for electric start - views?
« on: 16.08. 2016 19:00 »
Chaps

I managed to fracture my pelvis, dislocate my leg and generally tear up the ligaments in my knee ten days ago. And yes, it's all in my right leg!

I'm on the mend, but it's going to take a while to get to full strength and my knee in particular may never actually be 'right' again.

I'm stuck in hospital (and been on a steady dose of morphine for ten days) so I've been thinking a lot, but not particularly clearly, about what (if anything) to do with my bikes.

For the A10 my question is: is there a good, reversible electric start option and does it necessitate a 12v conversion?

My bike is in pretty good condition (not concourse but close) and I don't really want to do anything 'permanent' to it, not least because I may heal better than I fear.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Oh: I slipped and fell off a bricked 15ft railway embankment onto an uneven surface while out walking with friends, for those that want to know how this happened.

Cheers

Sam

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: Maybe time for electric start - views?
« Reply #1 on: 16.08. 2016 19:11 »
Sam,
There certainly is an electric starter for A10s and the beauty of it is that when fitted it still retains the kick start facility. Read all about it here: http://www.startyourbsa.com/ Apart from the starter button on the handle bar it is almost impossible to detect unless you know what to look for and where to look. You can see footage of it in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuvKy9l75u4 Not cheap though, but very well executed.
John

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.08. 2016 19:25 »
I managed to fracture my pelvis, dislocate my leg and generally tear up the ligaments in my knee ten days ago. And yes, it's all in my right leg!
Bugger; sorry to hear that! Get better soon.  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.08. 2016 20:59 »
Sam,

I guess you'll find out about reversibility by talking to Steve McFarland. I'm stayin' out of that. I just want to say, BUMMER! Sorry about the pain. I'm in the US, but I can recall those brick embankments from many train rides in and around London.

Richard

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 16.08. 2016 21:47 »
Hope your recovery goes well Sam, good stuff that Morphine, got a spare bottle in the medicine chest (Oramorph)  I think it will be well past the BBF date though
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: 16.08. 2016 22:00 »
That's a nasty one Sam. *eek*
Get well soon!
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 17.08. 2016 01:53 »
bad luck Sam - makes motorbikes sound safe.
i don't know about electric starts so will follow this thread.
i'm a 6v fan but would well rather a 12v system than no bsa to ride. converting to 12v (dvr2, belt-kit, battery, bulbs - don't rewind the e3l) is easy. go LEDs if you are worried about going flat.
best of luck with the recovery...
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.08. 2016 04:40 »
Goes to show, walking is dangerous to your health.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #8 on: 17.08. 2016 06:22 »
I dont know much about the electric starts other than the one pictured in the link shows an alternator drive side case, but would suggest irrespective of voltage a Lithium Ion battery would be the go to support reliable starting.
I fitted a small one to my rocket 3 when it was still a kick start bike and was then promptly given a T160 starter. The LI-ion battery happily cranked over the triple and copes well with sitting.
It hasnt prevented the starter solenoid from recently jamming engaged though  *problem*

Fitting the electric leg to the triple was quite a revelation. you just push a button and the band starts! 
Keep us posted with details but if I were you I'd be fitting an electric leg  *wink2*
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 17.08. 2016 11:42 »
hi guys, I've looked into electric start for A10s but there is not one made for a belt drive primary, when they come up with one I will get one,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 17.08. 2016 12:53 »
That sounds pretty painful Sam but don't overdo the morph. Speedy recovery.
With a belt upgrade for the dynamo and an electronic reg in the toolbox you'll be the only one that knows.
I like kiwipom would need (hope that's a long way off but probably just around the corner) one for a belt primary on the cafe. The 51 A7 starts just by looking at the lever.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 17.08. 2016 14:04 »
Thanks for the replies / good wishes - appreciated.

I'm going to take the attitude that i'll cross bridges when i come to them. It'll be six months of physio / additional ops before i know for sure how strong my leg is. And on reflection, doing any serioys work on my bike during that time won't be easy.

So i will postpone this decision and concentrate on getting my legs like arnie's!

Bike was starting well before all this so i'll just store it and come back to it in six months.

Will invest in a good bike lift in the mean time and about 12 tubes of autosol. My bike is going to be the most beutiful it's ever been cone March!

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #12 on: 17.08. 2016 14:18 »
in the mean time and about 12 tubes of autosol
Sam even better is this stuff. Available from Halfords amongst many other places.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 17.08. 2016 21:10 »
Sam even better is this stuff. Available from Halfords amongst many other places.

I'll agree with you on that a101960, pricey but even my 50% Scots  blood will give way for it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 17.08. 2016 21:12 »
Yup!....That Metal Polysh is good stuff.
England N.W
1960 A10
England