Author Topic: Motor just stops  (Read 790 times)

Offline Drew Back

• A's Good Friend
Motor just stops
« on: 19.10. 2016 01:57 »
Well I got the bike running real nice but on the last ride it just died and would not kick over kick arm locked up kicked smooth with clutch pulled in..Put in gear and rocked it back and forth a few times and started right back up like something bound up any ideas where to start looking?? Primary chain was good and not binding did put a thicker cork washer on breather valve could it be something inside tranny??

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Motor just stops
« Reply #1 on: 19.10. 2016 07:26 »
G'day DB.
My 1st thought is she had a partial seizure. I have had that happen with a new tight motor on a hot day. One minute later she is free and started.
Get your hands on an endoscope camera and have a look down the plug holes for any scoring of the bores.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 19.10. 2016 09:05 »
I agree with muskart, having this on an engine more than 5 times. The engine is going harder so I pull the cluth and motor emediately stopped, rolling a few meters release the cluthlever and its like nothing happend. This phenomen appered only on hills or hard work to the engine against heavy winds, going full throttle about one to two miles. I sort out this was a lean combustion and give her a bigger main jet.  This seizures was allways  light ones, so I doesn't care about and do a trip to Ireland with over 4000km. A few weeks later at home there was a pinking only on ascceleration. I had no idea what this will mean, as I give full throttle after a roundabout the sparkpluck get off the thread. So I had to put off the head and one piston showed a crack from one  end of the wrist pin to the other. Now this pistons are in the show case with other offers to the god of speed *whistle*

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 19.10. 2016 10:54 »
At the risk of pointing out the obvious drew, are you familiar with the fact that the kickstart gears often do lock up and hence one pulls the clutch in to ensure they are engaged properly before kicking the engine over? You probably know this but just thought I'd ask.......
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Drew Back

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 19.10. 2016 13:46 »
Thank you for the input the engine was not even hot when this happened..The first time was in driveway after running for about a minute shut it off it sat for about 10 minutes then could not kick it over the second time was about a one mile ride then it just stopped did not think to pull in clutch before it stopped. It is running nice and smooth no loud noise or knocking..I will try to pick up a bore scope this weekend to see what is going on inside cylinders it does kick over nice and smooth..