Author Topic: Dynamo confusion  (Read 1329 times)

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
Re: Dynamo confusion
« Reply #15 on: 19.02. 2017 00:12 »
Thinking about it, your right. When I've made electronic regs,, there's a need for a  low resistance between F and D before charging and regulation can begin, I can see now, with mechanical regs the contacts will already be closed. We live and learn
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 15.03. 2017 19:48 »
Further to my dynamo / charging problem, you definitely DON'T want the long version of my exploits! So, this is the short(ish) version.  First off a friend who is an experienced sparky, reckoned the field coil was breaking down, so I ordered and received a new comm., coil, bearings and bushes from Andrew, our friend at Priory Magnetos.  Thanks for the brilliant service, Andrew *wink2*  These items were duly fitted and tested in my lathe ( yes, it was running the right way), and the bulb test was positive, so dynamo was refitted to the bike. On start up, there was no charge indicated on the ammeter, so stuck a meter on the battery terminals. STILL no charge, and I dismissed a reg. problem as I've fitted a DVR2, so, why wasn't it charging?  Back to basics - I'd previously identified, checked and repositioned the wiring as necessary, but had omitted the two wires front dynamo to regulator.  A continuity check on the D wire proved ok but the EFfing F wire indicated a break.  It took me less than three sodding minutes to find the faulty connection, and another two minutes to correct it.  Started the bike and the ammeter immediately showed a charge *problem*  Its possible, but not certain, that the bad connection was the original cause of the entire problem, so the moral of this story, gentlemen is: CHECK THE BLEEDIN OBVIOUS FIRST.  Lesson duly ( and expensively)  learned.  Feel free to laugh, but SNIGGERING is NOT allowed *smiley4*  Next problem posted in the Engine section.
'59 GF

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 15.03. 2017 20:23 »
 I am an industrial electrician by trade, and all I do is troubleshoot electrical problems on production machines in a mill.

I can tell you from experience, 95% of electrical problems are something simple. Its a bad contact, bad power supply, bad connection, broken sensor, or mechanical in nature.

The problem with people just starting out (like apprentices) is they automatically want to find the one component they dont fully understand, and that MUST be the problem. They fixate on that one component, poke at it, stare at it, take it apart, and eventually change it, and when thats not the problem they become lost. Worst case is they become parts changers, troubleshooting by changing parts until the equipment works again no matter how many parts they have to change to get there.

In the end it all worked out well for you. You learned a bunch about your "new" bike, had some fun, and have a good running system again. Good job! *smile*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 16.03. 2017 08:37 »
Thanks, coater87 - by the descriptive element of your post, it's as though we've already met!!  You're right - it's worked out ok in the end, AND I've learned a thing or two on the way.  I took for granted that as the wiring was new, it was ok, and didn't check the two leads that should have been FIRST on the list *doh*
'59 GF