Author Topic: + or - Electrical system?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Juddy

• Active
+ or - Electrical system?
« on: 21.02. 2017 04:34 »
Hi again everyone.

Can any of you tell me are we dealing with a 6V + or - electrical system on my A10? Is there a simple tell, that i could use to identify the polarity?

beezermacc

Re: + or - Electrical system?
« Reply #1 on: 21.02. 2017 06:12 »
Standard wiring on an A10 is +ve earth from about 1950. The early A7 longstrokes were, I think, negative earth. You can choose which earth you want by flashing the dynamo, i.e. connect the positive side of a battery to the dynamo case and tickle the 'F' dynamo terminal with a lead from the negative side of your battery; this should polarise the dynamo to +ve earth.

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 22.02. 2017 08:53 »
Juddy,
The easy way to tell how it's set up at the moment is to trace the battery terminal leads.  One will go directly to an earth (usually bolted directly to the frame).  If the + battery terminal is connected to the frame you have +'ve earth.
If it's not currently running or you have no battery or can't tell - then Follow Beezermacc's instructions - it's quite quick and easy to do.
Your electircs will work either way round and the dynamo will charge either way round (once flashed as above) and there's loads or previous threads and articles on charging and electrics - so worth a search if you're digging deeper.
good luck
Raymond.
BSA A10 Cafe Racer project
Scotland

Offline Juddy

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 22.02. 2017 08:59 »
Ahh cheers lads. Knew i could count on all of you, will go check now!!!

Offline Juddy

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 22.02. 2017 09:20 »
It's a positive system. Thanks once again everyone.

beezermacc

« Reply #5 on: 22.02. 2017 09:46 »
Juddy,
The easy way to tell how it's set up at the moment is to trace the battery terminal leads.  One will go directly to an earth (usually bolted directly to the frame).  If the + battery terminal is connected to the frame you have +'ve earth.

.................... assuming the battery has been wired up correctly. Sometimes you are better starting from scratch but, obviously, if everything works OK, leave it alone.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 22.02. 2017 10:09 »

I started to respond here the other day but suddenly had work to do and lost it.....went along th same line as without stating the obvious;-

If it's not currently running or you have no battery or can't tell - then Follow Beezermacc's instructions - it's quite quick and easy to do.
Your electircs will work either way round and the dynamo will charge either way round (once flashed as above) and there's loads or previous threads and articles on charging and electrics - so worth a search if you're digging deeper.

I initially had +ve earth as per being a stickler for tradition, but kept losing track of stuff and blowing stuff up (not saying I'm dyslexic, bi-polar or manic, though sometimes I wonder), so opted to change to -ve earth for simplicity, and ease and interchangeability of (L.E.D.) bulbs and like

Where in Oz you at again...?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Juddy

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 22.02. 2017 10:51 »
Hey mate.

I'm up just north of brisbane. I've just recently had an electronic ignition kit fitted to the old girl and she kicks like it's nothing for her now, so easy. But I could've sworn that the last time I charged the battery it was negative earth. Obviously the chaps at the mechanics had taken it upon themselves to "fix" the problem without letting me know before i ordered my L.E.D. for the Tail light; (- earth), which mysteriously wasn't working when i got it back. They also took it upon themselves to rewire the kill switch from the handlebars to the light switch on the headlight binnacle.

I'm a pretty patient bloke, and take most things in my stride. But I won't be going back to these chaps anymore, I'm loyal to a point but once i get there i go no further.

As it is i'm going to get the wiring harness redone entirely at another organisation in brisbane that's far more professional. Theres just far too many stray wires from past attempts still hanging around.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 22.02. 2017 11:30 »

geez cuz, 'just north of Briz' could mean Caboolture area? I'm officially Sunny Coast, but work has me suckered into BrizVageus. I'm no professional, but happy to help I'll Pm my Ph# can call back
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 22.02. 2017 11:35 »
As it is i'm going to get the wiring harness redone entirely at another organisation in brisbane that's far more professional. Theres just far too many stray wires from past attempts still hanging around.
I bought a new wiring harness from, I think, Draganfly. It's not a difficult job to fit a harness. The new one has the advantage of earth return wires so you don't need to use the bike frame as an earth.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 22.02. 2017 21:04 »
The new one has the advantage of earth return wires

One of the first jobs to be done on purchase I'd suggest, can make a big difference to lights when the little electrons do not have to traverse through the grease and muck in steering bearings
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco