Author Topic: Tool box oil filter fitting  (Read 3809 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Tool box oil filter fitting
« on: 16.03. 2017 18:56 »
I have spent a fraught and frustrating afternoon attempting to fit and oil filter into the tool box. I meticulously marked out the holes with the template that was supplied with the kit, but the lid will not close. It looks very much like these kits are not intended to be used with the flat lid tool box. However if this is the case there are no warnings about the kit being unsuitable for flat lid tool box applications. I think that with some shorter fixing bolts, and with some modification to the distance pieces (spacers) supplied as part of the kit I might just be able to shoe horn it in. I did a quick trial using some washers in place of the spacers and it might just about be possible. If I go down this road I shall have to be very careful to make sure that the filter canister does not bind on the back of the tool box, and from the trial fit I did with the washers the lid then did indeed close, but not as neatly as it should. I am not a happy bunny, has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so what did you do about it?

John

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Tool box oil filter fitting
« Reply #1 on: 16.03. 2017 20:37 »
I would go back to the supplier.

He may have a solution and if not and it does not fit then I would expect him to give you a  refund.

I presume its the kit which takes a Commando filter element.

The Morgo kit is a lot more compact.

Offline TimK

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 16.03. 2017 21:46 »
A101960,

I had the same issues when I fitted a similar oil filter kit to my toolbox. When I did a test fit - luckily before starting to drill - I found that the oil line holes on the template would have left the oil lines fouling the rear mudguard. I ended up fitting it as shown which leaves the oil lines exiting the tool box below the battery carrier.

You're right about the spacers, they're too long and so I ditched them and shortened the bolts. That does mean that it will be a tight fit to get a strap wrench around the oil filter if required but I'm not planning to change the oil every week so I can live with that. As you suggest, a couple of washers in place of the spacer stops the filter canister fouling the tool box.

Another issue is that I'm likely to dump an oil filter load of oil in the tool box when the filter is removed, but a rag will sort that out.

cheers

Tim
Tim Kerridge
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.03. 2017 21:59 »
Quoting myself from November 2012

I bought a Norton 850 oil filter head and filter from Ebay intending to fit it in the toolbox of my plunger frame GF as others have done. However, the assembly was too wide to fit in the toolbox so I have mounted the filter on the rear mudguard behind the gearbox using nylock nuts.
Both parts are dull black so fairly inconspicious.
When mounted the filter head union stubs point towards the chain.
I've used Goodyear 8mm/5/16" ID reinforced rubber pipe to do the plumbing.
The oil feed pipe from oil tank to pump union pipes is as original.
The return from the pump is carried over the top of the gearbox, down between the vertical frame tube and the gearbox  then gently curves around to meet the filter inlet stub.
The filter outlet pipe is routed tightly underneath the gearbox and then up behind the pump union assembly so it appears adjacent to the original metal pipes. It lines up nicely with the rocker feed banjo and oil tank connector.
Finished off with proper hose clamps it looks neat and not too obtrusive.

Here is a link to some photos of the set up.

http://tinyurl.com/cqbbnj7
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 17.03. 2017 04:13 »
hi guy/Tim, I think I would have removed the internal divider to fit the filter up the other way to avoid the oil problem when replacing the canister,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 17.03. 2017 07:36 »
I have fitted oil filter(s) into the flat lid tool boxes, both with and with-out the divider in place.
Last pic is in a round lid tool box.

I machine the head; have selected an element small enough to fit in the box.

Richard

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #6 on: 17.03. 2017 10:52 »
I flog B & S vanguard canisters for fitting into tight spaces.
They ar he shortest filter I have found that screws into the filter housing.
Kawakasi ( again mower ) filters are longer but a lot thinner.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.03. 2017 11:49 »
Orabanda:

Richard do you machine the oil filter heads and have them for sale? Looks like you have the design down cold, and they look as good as an oil filter can inside the toolbox. *ex*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 17.03. 2017 11:51 »
Hi All,
Previously I posted on where and how I fitted a commando filter head into my SR tool box
I came up with a solution to fit a smaller filter than the B&S Vanguard lawnmower engine one
I bought a metric conduit fitting that has a 16mm id thread and a 20 mm od thread
You may need to counterbore the hex end or cut the hex off
Then a readily available small Renault /Peugeot filter fits (Z1277)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Galvanised-Reducers-20mm-16mm-suitable-for-Conduit-BA4712016G-/172549809478?hash=item282cc52546

I bolted the filter head to the top of the toolbox, with the pipe stubs protruding through holes in the rear face
oil pipes do not cause obstructions either
My podtronics voltage reg is fitted to the mudguard bracket

Works for me
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 17.03. 2017 11:52 »
I didn't want to give up my toolbox space.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 17.03. 2017 11:55 »
HI GB,
Well I think my version saves most space in the toolbox ???
More room for sandwiches  *????* *smile*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #11 on: 17.03. 2017 19:44 »
Thank you everyone for your comments and observations. Here is an update. Well, I spent most of the day working on the problem. The cause of all my troubles was due to two things: The template supplied with the kit was wrong so I had to re-drill the toolbox in order to relocate the position of the filter head. The template drilling location as I mentioned in my initial post prevented the lid from closing, and a second issue was that the filter itself was impossible to remove due to lack of clearance when everything was tightened up. Both the supplied fixing bolts, and spacers were the wrong length. All of which defeated the object of buying a filter with a “complete” A10 specific fitting kit. I had to actually buy two shorter bolts (UNF) and make up a pair of spacers. I shall be taking up the short comings of this kit with the supplier, and I will inform you of the response in due course as and when I get a  reply from him. Up until now I have been using a  Hide de hi filter unit, but the problem was that it entailed a lot of work to change the element. This entailed removal of the seat and battery to gain access the filter unit which then had to be removed from the bike to change the filter element. My reasoning was that converting  to a spin on filter would make life much easier. Up until now an oil and filter change took me a couple of hours to do whereas it will now be a half hour task. Just for clarification, unfortunately the filter element is impossible to access and remove until the filter unit has been removed from the bike due to the way that it is attached to the frame.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 17.03. 2017 20:12 »
Morgo filter fitted to my A10.

Offline bobandbec

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 17.03. 2017 22:45 »
My Norton type filter is fitted low down under the bike front of the swinging arm. Very neat fitment and not seen at all. Easy to change filter etc. Why shoehorn one into the toolbox area?

Peter

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 17.01. 2021 07:14 »
I flog B & S vanguard canisters for fitting into tight spaces.
They ar he shortest filter I have found that screws into the filter housing.
Kawakasi ( again mower ) filters are longer but a lot thinner.
G'day Trevor, are these B&S filters to suit the Norton base? M16x1.5 thread? And, what is the B&S part number please?
59 Super Rocket