Author Topic: Sunday ride in the sunshine - Devon, UK  (Read 449 times)

Offline BrianS

• A's Best Friend
Sunday ride in the sunshine - Devon, UK
« on: 27.03. 2017 08:30 »
Steve Harcus (Suzuki GS750) and I tootled over to Exeter Pinhoe Sainsbury's Sunday morning for the Exeter Classic Motorcycle Club run where we met Dave with his lovely new T100 Bonneville.

We waited around until shortly after set off time but no one else showed so we assumed Mothering Sunday had taken preference and set off for Paignton along the coast road to make the most of the lovely weather. Sunny albeit a tad chilly in sections!

Steve led as we meandered through Dawlish, Teignmouth, and Torquay to destination Paignton stopping off at the Babbacombe Beach cafe for a coffee. My first visit and that is quite a hill to the beach! As I am a bit if a stranger to that part of the world Steve took us via the lovely village of Cockington on the way home.

Dave peeled off at Newton Abbot and we carried on to Bovey Tracey where we popped in to the Dolphin for refreshment and to warm up. The road from Bovey to Moretonhampstead is lovely but sadly Flash suffered a rear puncture just as we entered Moreton and had to be recovered.

Nevertheless a lovely ride in good company!
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Sunday ride in the sunshine - Devon, UK
« Reply #1 on: 27.03. 2017 10:43 »

Have to admit I'm a bit envious of your roads and venues, but not the weather...and I'm not an advocate of patching tubes, but having had a few in inconvenient places (4 hundred K from home-getting dark +++...), I'm happy to suggest a repair kit and PUMP... *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BrianS

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #2 on: 27.03. 2017 11:36 »
I agree about patching tubes. I will buy new once I have sorted out what size I need. Butyl tubes are to be avoided I understand but am thinking Heavy Duty is the way to go although they can be a pig to fit if my previous experiences are anything to go by  *sad2*

I always carry a spare tube and tyre levers on my trail bike but hadn't thought I might get a puncture on Flash  :!

All this is academic at the moment as I can't get the A10 up on the centre stand by myself despite using all my strength and "hulking"!!!!

I can't believe how much more difficult it is to get the bike on the centre stand with a flat rear  *conf*
Exeter, Devon, UK

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 27.03. 2017 12:00 »
There's a knack to getting these heavy beasts on their stands. I probably can't explain it well but I push the stand down while pulling the machine backwards and upwards by yanking on the frame under the seat.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 27.03. 2017 12:35 »
Very envious a) of the ride b) of the place's mentioned as I know them well c) of the sun , but my  bike will return to the road within the next3 weeks , so I'll be happy again .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline BrianS

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #5 on: 27.03. 2017 18:13 »
There's a knack to getting these heavy beasts on their stands. I probably can't explain it well but I push the stand down while pulling the machine backwards and upwards by yanking on the frame under the seat.

I can usually do it by getting the bike about 6" or so ahead of where I want to park it and then pull it backwards whilst stamping down the sidestand. The momentum always does it but, this time, the flat rear tyre didn't allow my little run up and the angle of the centre stand made it much more difficult. Anyways up, I got Trish to help and with one of us each side we did it first attempt  *smile* *smile*

Got the tyre off and the cause of its quick deflation is a little split on the tube moulding line. See photo. It doesn't seem to have been caused by any foreign object in the tyre or sharp point on the rim. No idea what can have caused it  *conf*

The tube looks like new otherwise. It is a "Kings Tire" 2.75/3.00 - 19 so I am thinking replace with a Heavy Duty tube of the same size.

Brian
Exeter, Devon, UK

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 27.03. 2017 18:19 »
That rim looks like it may have chrome flaking off. If so the tube may have been sliced by some.

Looking again I can see evidence of creases in the rubber. The tube may have been stressed by not laying nicely inside the cover, (tyre)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 27.03. 2017 18:29 »
Any spokes coming through the rim strip?

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline BrianS

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #8 on: 27.03. 2017 18:34 »
The marks are in the tube moulding and run all the way around. No evidence of the tube being crumpled.  None of the spokes are coming through the rim tape.

Am I right in thinking that 2.75/3.00-19 is equivalent to 90/90-19?  Any recommendations as to a UK mail order HD replacement would be much appreciated.

I hope I don't have to add a new rim to my shopping list  *sad2*
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 27.03. 2017 21:35 »
Usual tubes are 3.25/3.50-19. That is with original tyres.

Offline BrianS

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #10 on: 27.03. 2017 21:45 »
Usual tubes are 3.25/3.50-19. That is with original tyres.

My rear tyre is an Avon Safety Mileage  3.50x19. Do you think I have the wrong inner tube for it?

Brian
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 28.03. 2017 21:12 »
Wrong tube but whether it would make a difference is a moot point.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 28.03. 2017 21:31 »
I've used Pirelli heavy duty tubes with success, you can see how much thicker they than what I was using previously by the size of the box! They weigh more than twice as much as the lighter type (so musky wouldn't fit them  *whistle* ).

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash EA7-168x, CA10 913x, left BSA together for Liverpool, 5th Dec 1955.

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (favourite bike)

1949 C11 rigid, but why!!! (cos it was cheap)

1937 B21, missing parts so mission impossible?

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife).

GL1800 Goldwing not sure why, maybe cos it always starts

Offline BrianS

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #13 on: 29.03. 2017 09:22 »
I asked Avon and they came back with http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/avon-inner-tube-a19t325.html

Which is a 3.25/3.50-19

So the punctured tube was the wrong size at 2.75/3.00-19

Brian
Exeter, Devon, UK