Author Topic: Rear brake removal  (Read 434 times)

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Rear brake removal
« on: 22.04. 2017 15:12 »
I want to change the swinging arm spindle but have to remove the brake pedal spindle first.
After removing the brake cable lever, should the brake pedal spindle just knock out complete with the brake pedal, then,
after removing the large nut and the 5/16 bolt should the swinging arm spindle knock out ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Rear brake removal
« Reply #1 on: 22.04. 2017 16:38 »
With the small lever off and the pedal spring disengaged the pedal and crossover shaft should just slide out.

The swinging arm spindle is a different matter. Sometimes they come out easily, I was lucky with mine, but sometimes they are very very  difficult. Be sure you need to do it.  A number of previous postings to view if you use the search box.

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 20.06. 2017 20:42 »
The spindle is not normally difficult but the bushes can be a so and so.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 21.06. 2017 07:29 »
 My spindle was seized solid. I had to spread the frame just wide enough to get a saws all blade in, on both sides.

I had to burn the rubber out of the bushings to get the remainder of the spindle out.

I had to weld little pushers into the outside shell of the bushes, and all the grunt our hydraulic press (40 ton) had to push them out.

Yes, some come apart very hard.  *eek*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

beezermacc

« Reply #4 on: 21.06. 2017 07:59 »
The Cheshire Branch of the BSA Club have an article on their tech-tips page. This is the method I use. https://sites.google.com/site/cheshirebsa/tech-tips