Author Topic: One tough dude  (Read 529 times)

Online coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
One tough dude
« on: 03.05. 2017 00:21 »
 I have read were a man with a chunk of broomstick can install the stanchions on a BSA motorcycle.

Let me tell you, thats the type of man that clanks when he walks because his beans are banging together in his bag.

Thats the guy that breaks both legs and asks for a band-aid.

Im willing to give anyone the benefit-of-the-doubt, but on this one Im call B.S.

I made myself a nice puller and I am straining, much less tugging on a piece of rotten ass broomstick *ex*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: One tough dude
« Reply #1 on: 03.05. 2017 01:09 »
 Do you have the wheel on the ground,  and weight of the bike (+a bit) on the springs ?

I'm just guessing here as I  don't have external springs, but if you pull the types down onto the spring with a rope/ratchet strap from the handlebar through the wheel to compress the springs, wouldn't the stanchion easily pull up into the top yoke?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 03.05. 2017 05:53 »
hi coater, could be one for the `MythBusters`cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online KiwiGF

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 03.05. 2017 06:41 »
I have read were a man with a chunk of broomstick can install the stanchions on a BSA motorcycle.

Lee

Normal nuts here (as far as I know) but I can almost do the job without ANY puller on my bike and just pull the stanchions up (1/2 inch?) using the cap screws, the springs only need compressing a bit on mine.

The problem during fitting is mainly that the stanchions catch in the yokes and if fork shrouds are fitted these stop you being able to prevent the stanchions disappearing into the legs when they catch, so they then fall short of the top yoke.

Having said that, it's easier to use a tool, mine is an old cap nut with the flats machined off and a length of 10mm studding welded to it.

But the difficulty in getting the job done depends on the length of spring you have *dunno*
New Zealand

Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one.

1956 Flash Frame EA7-168x Eng. CA10 913x, left BSA together for Liverpool, 5th Dec 1955.

B31 “hot rod” (yeah right)

Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife).

GL1800 Goldwing not sure why yet

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 03.05. 2017 06:41 »
I've pulled fork tubes up with a brush handle screwed into the top threads.

If TV presenters can't do it, that doesn't make it a myth. 

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 03.05. 2017 08:07 »
quote author=KiwiGF
Having said that, it's easier to use a tool, mine is an old cap nut with the flats machined off and a length of 10mm studding welded to it.

I do the same as KGF, except my stud is long all thread and I use a nut and slide hammer to pull the stanchions into the taper.

'48 A7 '59 SR '74 850 Commando TDM900

Online Joolstacho

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 03.05. 2017 09:00 »
Naaaahhh! - crystal-wrist poofters!!!!

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 03.05. 2017 09:09 »

Do you have the wheel on the ground,  and weight of the bike (+a bit) on the springs ?

I'm just guessing here as I  don't have external springs, but if you pull the types down onto the spring with a rope/ratchet strap from the handlebar through the wheel to compress the springs, wouldn't the stanchion easily pull up into the top yoke?   

When I said that ^^, I (obviously) had legs at full stretch and a puller/extractor in mind
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 03.05. 2017 09:16 »
...mine is an old cap nut with the flats machined off and a length of 10mm studding welded to it.
Ditto

Online coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 03.05. 2017 11:25 »
 Nope, right now bike is on a milk crate. It has a swingarm, shocks and a center stand fitted.

Once I get the stanchions and wheels on, progress can start in earnest. I went with the progressive springs and should get the front buttoned up today maybe.

After I read about broomstick guy, I envisioned these would basically fall in on the BSA. Glad I made the puller.

Lee

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 03.05. 2017 11:58 »
After I read about broomstick guy, I envisioned these would basically fall in on the BSA. Glad I made the puller.

UK broomsticks are about three sparrow cocks thicker than the US version.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 03.05. 2017 12:59 »

... about three sparrow cocks thicker than the US version.

When you open one of those, birds fly out.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #12 on: 03.05. 2017 13:10 »
Yep, did'em that way (broom stick) for 20 years. Was given the proper tool a few years back, a lot easier.
cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 03.05. 2017 14:13 »
Yep, did'em that way (broom stick) for 20 years. Was given the proper tool a few years back, a lot easier.
cheers

Something is obviously wrong here. There is no way in hell three guys could pull mine up.

I am going to stop where I am, and investigate this further. Im thinking my fork shrouds may have the wrong taper, and I am attempting to reshape them the hard way. Or maybe the new hard chrome stanchions are a little odd.

Worst case is my top yoke is incorrect- which would not surprise  me. I bet when I am done there are not 20 pieces total of the original bike used here and that includes any fasteners. In all honesty, this was a parts bike at best when I started.

I will keep you informed.

Lee

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 03.05. 2017 14:14 »
Last year I needed/wanted to do the A10, Commando, Daytona, and Mountain Cub. For about $60 I bought a kit with fittings to fit (I think) any Brit bike. For years I've made do with other methods/contraptions, but if you have more than one, this is money well spent. When I get my shop in order (just finished moving) I'll find out if it works on the Venom.