Author Topic: 7 and 8" FW Hubs, Rim and Spoke Question  (Read 582 times)

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
7 and 8" FW Hubs, Rim and Spoke Question
« on: 10.05. 2017 19:50 »
I seem to have cocked up my rim orders from Devon Rim and being in Africa, it's impossible to exchange them by returning .
 Nor are SH hubs available to me. Am constructing a BSA A7 Cafe racer. I have a 19" Devon rim for a "BSA 7 inch Full Width and TLS hub". I have a 7" FW BSA rear hub. Will this fit with the standard spoke set?

I realise now that A7's used a 7" front Hub and 7" rear though A10's later on used the same as the Triumph 8" Full Width for the front . I have a couple of those hubs and the correct 19" front Devon rims, so the front is not my worry.

Seems the spoke angles between a 7 inch BSA Full width front or rear would be a tiny difference? Or maybe not.

Thanks folks

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: 7 and 8" FW Hubs, Rim and Spoke Question
« Reply #1 on: 10.05. 2017 21:35 »
If you don't get a satisfactory answer here you might try contacting this chap http://mi6712.wixsite.com/blackcatwheels who built my wheels with SS rims and spokes. He seemed to be a friendly helpful bloke. I'd have thought he wouldn't mind advising you.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.05. 2017 22:59 »

Wouldn't the guys at Devon Wheels be able to help ?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 11.05. 2017 22:23 »
The same rim is used front and rear so I guess that the 7" spokes will fit either, check the parts book.
The spokes for the 8" hub are shorter but the same rim is used.

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 12.05. 2017 08:48 »
Peter,
I'm not familiar enough with your actual parts so can't look it up for you - but think there should be enough information on the Devon website (and Central wheels too) to work it out.  Both are quite good resources for identification of the correct parts.
If you clearly identify what parts you are in possession of and look them up - you'll soon be able to check if you have a set - or at least what you still need to complete the set.
On my A10 I have a WM2 rim front and back, one is 1X1 dimple (spoke pattern) and the other is 3x1 I think.  Spokes for each are not interchangeable as you've already said - the angles are different.  There are only the 3 or 4  variables  - first one is easy and that's the number of spokes.  If you work out the rest from the listings on these websites (either which wheel fits your hub or which hub fits your wheel (Think you said you has a selection of hubs)) - then make sure you know which spoke set fits your chosen combination.
After my wheel building exercise I learned a little bit about the combinations - so if I can work it out - anybody can :-)  That said, I kind of wish I'd had the original dunlop rims re-chromed - however I have to say my Devon Rims look so nice, it'd be a shame to toss them now.

Good luck with the checking.
Raymond.
BSA A10 Cafe Racer project
Scotland

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 13.05. 2017 00:37 »
With the full width hubs used from 1958, both front and rear wheels use the same rim irrespective of which hub.
The 7" uses the same spokes, front or rear.
The 8" uses different spokes.