Author Topic: Flipping hot!  (Read 680 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Flipping hot!
« on: 25.05. 2017 13:47 »
Temperatures in the UK are currently ranging from 25 to 37c. This just might be summer 2017

Later: I think that second figure should have been 27c

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Best Friend
Re: Flipping hot!
« Reply #1 on: 25.05. 2017 14:56 »
Not quite 25 here GB - not far off at 22 and feeling great (Near Edinburgh).
Just pulled the A10 out for it's SGS (DVLA) inspection (for an age related plate application).  I can tell you I was sorely tempted to stick a plate on it and have a burble around the county!!!  Resisted though and have put it straight back on the lift to attend to my leaking primary inner bolts (that I neglected to seal).
Been working from home today - and it's been very hard to stay focused - so have had a few coffee breaks and I'm literally buzzing!.

Let's hope the weather keeps up till I get my new plate :-)

Raymond.
BSA A10 Cafe Racer project
Scotland

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 25.05. 2017 15:17 »
Raymond,

I understand that MOTs in the UK are far more strict than anything here in the US. I believe I also heard that antique bikes are NOW not subject to the old MOT requirements (do correct me if I'm wrong.) So, I assume that SGS is the new minimum inspection. Alright, here's my question: does MOT (or SGS) require that our bikes have no oil leaks whatsoever? That would be quite a challenge.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #3 on: 25.05. 2017 15:57 »
Richard,
 SGS, and MOT are two entirely different things. The SGS inspection is to verify that the vehicle is what you claim it is. That is to say if you say that it is a BSA A10 then it must conform to that description, in other words does the vehicle match the paper work. If it does it will be issued with an age related number plate. If not then it will be classed as a special and it will be issued with a Q plate which identifies it as not being a vehicle that was built by a commercial manufacturer. The MOT is to check a vehicles general roadworthiness. Brakes, lights, steering, emission compliance, and structural integrity. Pre 1960 vehicles have been exempted from the MOT because the assumption is that older vehicles tend to owned by enthusiast and are therefore likely to be well maintained. Obviously, there is a bit more to it than that, but that is the basics of what it is all about.
John

Online ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 25.05. 2017 19:11 »
1960 A10, No M.O.T to pay for. No road tax to pay for. ?90 insurance including breakdown cover. It doesn't get much better than that.   *smile* *smile*

ELLIS

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #5 on: 25.05. 2017 21:55 »
Possible thunderstorms on Saturday. Roasting today also near Edinburgh. Didn't get a chance to take out the A10 (or A7 or B31) as was charging around in old Land Rovers.
Stats have shown that pre-1960 vehicles average less than 300 miles per year which was a factor in excluding them from MoT requirements. Ops, have used up my allowance a few times over already...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #6 on: 26.05. 2017 07:48 »
Fantastic day. Rode from Felixstowe to Snetterton, with 8 others include a very nice Super Rocket (a regular with us). Not much happening at the track but some setup going on for the weekend. about 100 miles door to door. Lots of smiles, A7 had an occasional splutter but think I am being picky now and noticing every single missed beat.
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 T100

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #7 on: 26.05. 2017 15:22 »
Raymond,

I understand that MOTs in the UK are far more strict than anything here in the US. I believe I also heard that antique bikes are NOW not subject to the old MOT requirements (do correct me if I'm wrong.) So, I assume that SGS is the new minimum inspection. Alright, here's my question: does MOT (or SGS) require that our bikes have no oil leaks whatsoever? That would be quite a challenge.

Richard L.
Richard, John answered that nicely and yes I should have explained a bit better.  I am still going through the registration process and still don't have a number plate.  SGS are effectively a contractor with field engineers that our licencing authority use to verify vehicles.  In my case the inspector was an accountant and not an engineer.  He explained that he wasn't checking the engineering or roadworthyness, simply verifying the vehicle existed and the frame and engine numbers were present on my bike.  I guess they've been duped in the past with people sending in pictures etc of something else!
Although the MOT test isn't mandatory for pre 1960 bikes, I might still get one done for the sake of insurance.  I understand there have been problems in the past with insurance claims on bikes with no MOT (maybe it was just a big hassle explaining and proving everything?) - for the sake of a 1 hour test it could be worth the avoidance of problems later.

BTW - even hotter here today - and we just had to close the office windows because they're testing the emergency Diesel generators and we couldn't breathe - now we can't breathe for the heat!  I'm going home soon  *smile*
Raymond.
Scotland

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 26.05. 2017 17:50 »
So hot in Scotland. That's not something we expect to hear from over there, over here.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 26.05. 2017 21:05 »
Winter is fast approaching down here. But we'll ride through it  *smile*.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #10 on: 26.05. 2017 23:05 »
So hot in Scotland. That's not something we expect to hear from over there, over here.

Richard L.
So hot today in Scotland  - Barack Obama was out golfing at StAndrews - his entourage passed me on the A90 motorway heading back to Edinburgh for dinner.  I gave him a little wave but he blanked me😩
Heading back north tomorrow on a biking weekend (on my Ktm - Bsa not registered yet!) and expecting torrential rain and we're camping - man timing is everything.
Have a great weekend guys
Raymond
Scotland

Online Rex

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 27.05. 2017 23:08 »
Although the MOT test isn't mandatory for pre 1960 bikes, I might still get one done for the sake of insurance.  I understand there have been problems in the past with insurance claims on bikes with no MOT (maybe it was just a big hassle explaining and proving everything?)

Interesting. I understood that as the law now states that an MoT test is no longer required on a pre-60 vehicle then that is what the insurance companies have to abide by. If at a subsequent inspection they feel that there's something which contributed to the accident then the pay-out (or whatever) could be adjusted, but then it was ever thus.
Do you have any articles links, etc regarding this contentious point?

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 27.05. 2017 23:23 »
I'm still wondering: Does (did) MOT  check for oil leaks?

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 28.05. 2017 15:09 »
I don't think so Richard.

Offline Slippery Sam

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #14 on: 29.05. 2017 07:55 »
Although the MOT test isn't mandatory for pre 1960 bikes, I might still get one done for the sake of insurance.  I understand there have been problems in the past with insurance claims on bikes with no MOT (maybe it was just a big hassle explaining and proving everything?)

Interesting. I understood that as the law now states that an MoT test is no longer required on a pre-60 vehicle then that is what the insurance companies have to abide by. If at a subsequent inspection they feel that there's something which contributed to the accident then the pay-out (or whatever) could be adjusted, but then it was ever thus.
Do you have any articles links, etc regarding this contentious point?
Hi Rex,
Rather than paste links - if you search on this forum "pre 1960 MOT" or words to that effect, you'll get a lot of the banter.  None of which I have to say is conclusive either way and I am definitely not saying you have to get an MOT for classic insurance.  What I am saying though is that there is a bit of doubt and potential hassle.  I think the overarching recommendation from the various threads is - check with your insurer as they all view it differently.
Sorry - wasn't scare mongering and I'm sure it'd be fine - but I might just get a ticket on my bike (if I ever get it on the road).
cheer Raymond
Scotland