Author Topic: charging again  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
charging again
« on: 06.06. 2009 12:34 »
Hi all, further to my charging problem, as you remember I've converted to 12v, with a solid state rectifier, and can't get a charge, what I've just tried is to connect the old mechanical rectifier up and the 6v battery, basically the old setup and when I rev up a bit the ammeter shows it charging!! Any ideas would be grateful please.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: charging again
« Reply #1 on: 06.06. 2009 12:39 »
I think I read somewhere ( here I think) that you need to flash the dynamo with 12 volts if you are going to run at same.
I'm no expert in A10 electrics but will be interested to hear from the many on this forum that are as I will shortly be needing to do the same.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 06.06. 2009 13:00 »
Bill, I did try the flashing bit, I took the wires out of the dynamo and disconnected the green and yellow wires from the rectifier then with a wire from the neg side of the battery touched the F terminal of the dynamo several times, I'm not sure if I did it right because it didn't make any difference.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #3 on: 06.06. 2009 13:07 »
Have you fitted a rectifier as stated or is that a typo? A rectifier is not going to work with a DC charging system neither will it regulate.

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 06.06. 2009 13:32 »
a101960, I'm not sure which bit might be a typo? What I've got is a 12v battery, a DVR2 solid state rectifier with the white wire unconnected, and the original dynamo. Have I done something wrong?

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 06.06. 2009 13:38 »
a101960, Just realised what Iv'e done I keep calling the REGULATOR a rectifier, idiot.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #6 on: 06.06. 2009 14:19 »
Right then Tone having established that it is indeed a regulator that we a talking about here, I have a V2 fitted to my bike. Now I am not sure about weather the connections are are going to be the same by that I mean the wire colours, so I will go and check mine. On the V2 when it is delivered from the manufacturer there is a link wire that is for the default 6 volt operation. This link wire needs to be cut for 12 volt operation. I have just checked the Manor Technology web site and your regulator is by default set up for 12 volt operation. Have you wired up the battery for the correct polarity? I know that might be teaching you to suck eggs, but what polarity is your regulator? +ve or -ve earth ? My bike is -ve earth because it I wanted to fit things like LED instrument lights, and they are only available in -ve earth. You say that by reinstating the original regulator the you are seeing a charge. If you are doing this it would imply that you have a 6 volt battery in place, otherwise your original regulator would not be working.

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 06.06. 2009 14:41 »
a101960, got what you said. What I have just tried was; connected a 6v battery, mechanical reg, with no engine reads 6.20v with engine running I get 6.80 ish, done the same with the DVR2 reg using link wire got about the same result. Stuck on the 12v battery, with the DVR2 link wire removed, reads with no engine 12.94, with engine running 14.15, DOES THIS MEAN IT IS CHARGING?, With the 6v setup the ammeter goes to the plus side, with the 12v setup it doesn't do anything, do you have to have a different ammeter?

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #8 on: 06.06. 2009 15:14 »
Well Tone, the good news is that you are indeed charging. 14 to 14.5 is what you would expect to see across the battery with a 12 volt system that is charging. I am not sure why you are seeing no indication on the ammeter. On my V2 regulator there are 4 wires.

Black = earth (ground)
Red = A (ammeter)
White = F (field)
Yellow = D

The connections are Black to black, Red to brown with white tracer, White to green, and Yellow to yellow. The colours listed are the loom colours. This is the set up for +ve earth. I have had another look at the Manor Tech site and if I have read the data correctly It appears that the DV regulator is orientated thus: Yellow = D Brown = A (ammeter) and Red = earth. All a bit odd. How is the field connected I wonder?

Incidentally do not forget to change your bulbs! The 6v horn should be O.K. though.

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 06.06. 2009 15:29 »
a101960, On my DVR2 there are five wires; brown-ammeter, green- field, yellow- dynamo, red - positive earth and white- if you are using 6v. Still don't know why the ammeter wont work! It's one of the cheep ones thats a bit like a windscreenwiper! get a new one soon. Anyway thanks very much for you help, best regards Tony.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #10 on: 06.06. 2009 23:18 »
Tone, its possible your ammeter is working. With the DVR2 they dont show the great amount of charge like the CVC units do. Try starting the bike and with it idling turn on the lights, the ammeter should show a discharge. Now rev the bike up and see what the needle does. It should come back up to the central or very slightly into the charge position. If it does then everything is normal and working as it should. I have three DVR2 units now and swear by them, best invention since sliced bread. Mine are all still 6v.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #11 on: 07.06. 2009 00:36 »
And you can not defy Mr Ohms fine law.
If your are now running at 12 V then the current draw will be 1/2 of what it was when 6 V so you will not see as much movement in the amp meter and if the battery is new then there would not be much of a drain.
 Turn on the lights including the stop lamp before you start the bike and  then watch it when the engine runs.

If the generator is supplying all of the electrical needs of the bike the amp meter will show 0 as you are neither draining nor charging the battery.

The amp meter in reality simply tells you if the batter is being charged + reading or discharged - reading
In reality a volt meter would be much more useful but the powers to be decided that it would confuse the riders so we got amp meters 
Bike Beesa
Trevor