Author Topic: Aussie stout  (Read 342 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Aussie stout
« on: 29.05. 2017 00:37 »
Not that Guinness is BAD, but always a bit of a disappointment to me. It looks so dark and thick and creamy, but then it goes down like water. Years ago I tried a couple of the Australian stouts and found them much "thicker and creamier". I was in a store the other day and they have Sheaf stout (used to be called Tooth's sheaf stout. As I recall, that was a brew you could chew! Going to have to get a bottle and see if I still like it.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Aussie stout
« Reply #1 on: 29.05. 2017 03:13 »
 Yo there's some good'uns out there- used to be one called  an "Invalid Stout" say no more, but can't recall off hand who did it, then Abbottsford Co-Operative Brewery did "Abbots Double Stout" another very nice drop, but haven't seen it for a while either probably since taken over by CUB *bash*....

Coopers does a real good one too, About 6.8% , so a couple lets me know I've done it.

With the Hipster (more *bash*) uptake, there's ' sometimes independent' micro-breweries doing all kinds of things  *beer*

Edit;-

I was in a store the other day and they have Sheaf stout (used to be called Tooth's sheaf stout.

Sorry, forgot the important bit *red* I'll keep an eye out and let you know
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #2 on: 29.05. 2017 07:22 »
Years ago I worked for Guinness. There was a heck of a difference between Dublin and London Park Royal brewed Guinness. So much depends on the particular brewery. When I worked for them, their biggest brewery was in Nigeria. Never got the opportunity to sample their output. Shame.
Despite my very lowly position, my job did involve sampling batches. Getting home from work was always a bit hazy.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 29.05. 2017 07:31 »
Proper stout ain't got bubbles I reckon.

Guinness is just another "nitro keg" beer.......like Murphys, Kilkennys

I still like drinking it though  *smile*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash (1st finished project)

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (2nd finished project, + favourite bike)

1949 C11 rigid, but why!!! (cos it was cheap)

1937 B21, project missing parts, mission impossible?

GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it

KTM 950 ADV, cos it’s 100% nuts

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 29.05. 2017 08:45 »
...There was a heck of a difference between Dublin and London Park Royal brewed Guinness...
I discovered that fact when I had a Guinness in Southern Ireland; much nicer!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 29.05. 2017 09:08 »
Aussie beer in general is best in the world. I've tasted a great deal of foreign beer and haven't found one that comes close. The whole time at the 2015 IOM I drank Cider. I had a few Guinness in Dublin, but I don't like to have to chew a beer.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 29.05. 2017 11:38 »

Aussie beer in general is best in the world.

In the big beer strike (Castlemaine Perkins/XXXX) of '78 we had to endure beer from anywhere possible, brands like West End XXX, Southwark (most available due to availability and crappiness- but was ok after a while), KB Lager & stuff in little mini kegs, Swan Lager, Tooths whatever- I think I took to a bit of spirits over that time, and I wasn't a big drinker.

At the time though, I was sharing a house for a time with a guy who worked at the brewery (on strike)and he had to go fishing in the river to be able to eat...and in the meantime I started at a job with a drilling crew at what was to become German Creek Coalmine *eek*, central Qld., I had to go into Blackwater for some gear, and figured I'd stop at the pub for lunch.  *bright idea* , they had  *beer* on tap - you beautty (first tap beer in a glass for a while) turned out to be  friggin Reishes (I can't even spell it) holy CRAP....and I don't do holy anything  *countdown*....

Having said all that, my ex-local doctor used to swear by Fosters - I swear at him *eek*, but when I was in Mullbin for a while circa '99/'00 the Clifton Hill Hotel had Fosters schooners (15 Imp. oz/~US Pint) for $1.50?, so had to give 'em a go, and they actually weren't too bad, mind you they weren't far from the brewery so didn't have much time to go to shit...

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: 29.05. 2017 13:54 »
Aussie beer in general is best in the world. I've tasted a great deal of foreign beer and haven't found one that comes close.

Musky, next time you come to IOM, pop over to Belgium. I'll have you taste some decent stuff...  :!
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 30.05. 2017 01:49 »
Aussie beer in general is best in the world.

🤣 😂 (In Aussie it's all lager)

Ps: can we have a rolling over laughing smiley please.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash (1st finished project)

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (2nd finished project, + favourite bike)

1949 C11 rigid, but why!!! (cos it was cheap)

1937 B21, project missing parts, mission impossible?

GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it

KTM 950 ADV, cos it’s 100% nuts

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 30.05. 2017 09:17 »
MMMMMMM.... beer
Not a fan of stout but since you brought up the subject, here's my pick. Cricketers Arms Pale Ale *loveit* Corona WITH lemon  *beer* and Old Speckled Hen  *dribble* We have a huge choice of Craft Beer in Vic and I make it my business to try them all!
'48 A7 '59 SR '74 850 Commando TDM900

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 30.05. 2017 09:52 »
Speckled Hen is one of my faves.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #11 on: 30.05. 2017 11:01 »
Not often I disagree with Musky but sorry mate theres some great beer produced over in the UK ,( and lots of shit as well )not sure about the IOM ,you're a bit of a captive over there and as my dear old dad said ," no such thing as bad beer ,just somes better than others !! *eek* *beer* .I worked for  14 weeks in southern Ireland ,weighed just over 11 stone when I arrived and came back 12and a half stone from the steaks and the guinness which was beautiful. Over here my favorite tipple is Directors ,Bombadier ,Pedigree but nothing with "hints of friggin fruit " in it !
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom