Author Topic: Starting a Field Marshall tractor using a shotgun cartridge!  (Read 350 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
G'day Greybeard.
I would think that on occasions we'd all like to use a shotgun on our bikes. Not to start but to end.  *bash*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online orabanda

• Resident Legend
Reminds me of a funny incident.
I grew up on a half million acre sheep station in Western Australia; our homestead was in the mining town of Ora Banda. I started riding motorbikes at the age of 10 on the property (mustering, dam runs, exploring, etc), and have had the bug ever since. We were on Honda Benlys (heavy, slow, reliable, electric start!) but Dad's '51 plunger A10 laid dormant in the corner of the shed. "You can have that bike son if you can get it going"; I ride it proudly and always think of my dad.

One of our neighbors (million acre property) had a 50's Cat grader. It used starter cartridges. They looked liked12G shotgun cartridges; same dimensionally, but were castrated (no balls).

Beside the homestead was a large dam. There were often ducks on the water. The shearing season was September, and a team of shearing contractors stayed in the shearing quarters adjacent to the homestead for the 4 weeks it took to shear the flock.

A young shearer asked the station manager if he could shoot the ducks. The manager said OK; he would provide him with a single barrel shotgun and some cartridges.

Yep; you got it; they were starter cartridges for the Catgrader.

For the next couple of weeks after knock-off (4 pm) they would watch with much mirth as the great white hunter would stalk up the dam bank, and let a shot off.

After a couple of weeks he gave up in disgust; sore shoulder and no ducks in the pot!

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Just as well Richard. I hear the ducks over there are so tough you have to boil them in a pot with a rock. When the rock softens throw the duck out and eat the rock.  *eek*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Some piston engined aircraft use cartridges notably some marks of Spitfire and other merlin equipped planes . Poss for use in the desert etc.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

I expect that once they get it started,  that don't plan on stopping real often for smoko *conf*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
I believe those Field Marshalls have huge single cylinder engines driving a large flywheel. I've seen them at steam fairs; when the engine is running they kind of bounce up and down. Love em!

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
 Wasnt there an English airplane they started this way too? I believe I saw this is a history class during grade school (a long time ago). *conf*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
I think its called a Koffman starter (no pun ) some marks of spitfire used it Desert versions ( I think ) and Short Stirling bombers plus in the original film version of flight of the phoenix with James stewart , the plane they threw  together used one  .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom