Author Topic: A trip to Northern Ireland & The Northwest 200  (Read 420 times)

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Good Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
Last month I took the A7 95 miles across the Pennine Hills to Wallasey & the overnight ferry to Belfast. Over a hundred other bikes on the ship, nothing remotely classic though.
An early morning 65 mile run up to Portstewart and a couple of days taking in the racing, which I have to admit I found rather poor as a spectator with limited access to anything close up. On the Friday evening there was a gathering from The Vintage Club and I joined a cavalcade run round the original 9 mile circuit, great fun.
My early Sunday morning ride back to the ferry proved challenging when due to overnight rain (which my cossetted A7 doesn't usually experience) the throttle cable inner took the outer with it as a I decelerated into a roundabout. The little slotted location cup fell off leaving me with no throttle control and something of a problem!
After much scratching of head and searching for the spare cup which had mysteriously vanished from my bits tin I managed to graft the spring clip from a spare split link taped in position across the outer cable giving me, almost,full control ! It got me home.
A nice adventure for an old machine, not to mention it's old rider.

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A trip to Northern Ireland & The Northwest 200
« Reply #1 on: 05.06. 2017 13:34 »
Great trip with the appropriate challenges.

I was wondering, is your brake light system hooked up to the light (reflector?) at the back of the bin on the package carrier?

Richard L.

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Good Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
« Reply #2 on: 05.06. 2017 19:09 »
Yes, it's a Givi style detachable box with a contact on  the base pad which engages with the box. It does seem a decent idea to give a bit more warning.

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 06.06. 2017 23:07 »
Thanks for the post\photos. Looking good.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"