Author Topic: Kick pedal not returning  (Read 755 times)

Offline owain

• A's Good Friend
Kick pedal not returning
« on: 11.06. 2017 17:07 »
Righto, I've done a mechanical restore on my A10, it starts fine, gears select fine...the only thing that is bugging me is that the kick pedal is not returning when I started it. The quadrant, pinion and return spring are the same that were on the bike before I dismantled it and it used to return fine. I can return it fine if I manually pull it up with my foot or hand. Any ideas what is stopping it from returning as it should? I've wound the spring up with plenty of tension...Could it just be that the spring has had it's day?

Can see what I mean from the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnP2_2J2DrE
West Sweden & North Wales
'50 BSA A10
'69 BSA A75R
'53 BSA B33

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Kick pedal not returning
« Reply #1 on: 11.06. 2017 21:21 »
Hi,
Is the kickstart shaft misaligned? try loosening the cover a little and work the kickstart  to see if theres a position where it works freely
If theres too much tension on the spring a turn of it can get wedged between the case and quadrant shoulder

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline owain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 12.06. 2017 20:02 »
Nice one, thanks chaterlea25. I'll loosen the outer cover once I've arrived home. I don't want to bother draining the gearbox and resealing everything with loctite before a long journey on the A10
West Sweden & North Wales
'50 BSA A10
'69 BSA A75R
'53 BSA B33

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 12.06. 2017 22:13 »

Didn't you or someone else ask about this not long ago?

If it has a flat spring, I found they need a wind or two but no more, but if a round section spring, it doesn't need to be wound anymore than it takes to put it in place....

Does the kick pedal drop down when you let it hang?
 If you move it to just engage then let it go, does it spring back any??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #4 on: 20.06. 2017 12:11 »
Also double check the ratchet gear and pawl.
They can go on either wat round and one way the kickstarter teeth prevent the ratchet moving so the whole thing locks up & will not return.
Also the end float is important as the ratchet has to have enough space to clear the teeth of the fixed gear
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 20.06. 2017 12:25 »

*eek*
Also double check the ratchet gear and pawl.
They can go on either wat round and one way the kickstarter teeth prevent the ratchet moving so the whole thing locks up & will not return. 

Never thought that...... *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia