Author Topic: How to change Oil  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Daniel Toro (DT)

• A's Good Friend
How to change Oil
« on: 07.06. 2009 22:15 »
Sorry about this topic but how i change the oil?

Is just removing the drain plug at the oil tank (under the seat) and nothing more?

I ask because my bsa leak some oil, i don´t kniow if is the oil pressure valve or something...
well, o stopped the bike and then i see some oil on the floor. Ok, a little normal, but doesn´t stop.
today i dissasembly the oil pressure valve and the oil pump.

If anybody can help, i´ll apreciate. If can put some pictures is better! hehehe.

Thanks.

-= DT - Loco =-
 -= SombreroS - SP =-

Offline Daniel Toro (DT)

• A's Good Friend
Re: How to change Oil
« Reply #1 on: 15.06. 2009 00:01 »
Ok, just to get this straight...

O just open the drain plug at the tank under the seat.
Drain all oil.
Close and refill whith new oil for 4 1/2 pint.

1 UK pint =  0.56826125 Litres, is that right?
So I put 2,55 litres in the tank.

And how about the sump plate? I need open it too?

Last time i drop all oil, including the sump plate. Then I refilled whith 2 litres and tank is full.
Started the bike, the oil flows ok, but i think i can´t put more 500ml there. hehehe.

I´m thinking to use something like that, what do you all think about it?

Thanks.

-= DT - Loco =-
 -= SombreroS - SP =-

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #2 on: 15.06. 2009 08:54 »
Hello DT...

It is not important that the oil tank is full, I run my bike locally only half full, BUT if I am going to ride a longer distance and the weather is hot then I think it is important to have the tank full. The oil cools the engine as well as lublicates. I use a household soap pump to extract the oil from tank as it sucks up the sludge from the bottom of the tank. The bottom of the tank is a difficult area to clean and the pump does help a lot. You need to take care of the sump  plate because the threads can become worn, it is a good idea to purchase a sump plate that has a magnetic screw to drain oil from, this makes oil changes much easier. I'm not so sure of the oil pressures, but it seems a good idea to remove the spring and ball and ensure that all is clean, do not be tempted to pull the spring and make longer, it is a special spring and might be a good idea to replace this with a new one if it is old.

Olá! descolamento? Não é importante que o tanque de óleo está cheio, mim funciona minha bicicleta localmente somente meio cheia, MAS se eu estou indo montar uma distância mais longa e o tempo estão quentes então mim pensam que é importante ter o tanque completamente. O óleo refrigera o motor assim como lublicates. Eu uso uma bomba do sabão do agregado familiar para extrair o óleo do tanque enquanto suga acima a lama da parte inferior do tanque. A parte inferior do tanque é uma área difícil a limpar e a bomba ajuda muito. Você precisa de tomar da placa do depósito porque as linhas podem se tornar desgastadas, ele é uma boa idéia comprar uma placa de que tenha um parafuso magnético para drenar o óleo, esta do depósito facilita mudanças de óleo muito. I' m não tão sure das pressão do óleo, mas parece uma boa idéia remover a mola e a esfera e para assegurar-se de que tudo esteja limpo, não é tentada puxar a mola e fazê-la mais por muito tempo, é uma mola especial e pôde ser uma boa idéia substituir isto com um novo se é velho.

I used Bablefish Translator http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt   Hope it looks okay?
Eu usei o tradutor de Bablefish..... Esperança que olha aprovada?
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Richard

« Reply #3 on: 15.06. 2009 09:46 »
LJ
I would just like to add that most oil tanks have a breather and if overfilled then oil will be pushed out through this and cover the rear half of the bike
I have been there and have the T shirt
Richard

LJ
Acabo de querer a agrego que la mayoría de los tanques de aceite tengan un respiradero y si entonces está sobrellenado engrase será eliminado con esto y cubrir la mitad posterior de la bici He estado allí y tengo la camiseta Richard

Offline Daniel Toro (DT)

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 15.06. 2009 15:32 »
It is not important that the oil tank is full...

...I'm not so sure of the oil pressures, but it seems a good idea to remove the spring and ball and ensure that all is clean, do not be tempted to pull the spring and make longer, it is a special spring and might be a good idea to replace this with a new one if it is old.

I used Bablefish Translator http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt   Hope it looks okay?
Eu usei o tradutor de Bablefish..... Esperança que olha aprovada?

LJ, It´s ok for me doesn´t keep the tank full but i asked because i´m trying to fill with the manual specifications.
How much oil you put when you change on regular changes?

The release spring i already looked, this weekend i disassembly the pump and the oil release valve. I need change the gear on pump and yes, i´ve been really tempted to pull the spring.

But i´m not very worried about these things because I want to buy many pieces in London.
The spring/ball already figure in list and now the sump plate too.

Here´s the list so far:

Oil pump gear
spring/ball - pressure release valve
rear springs - suspension
clutch - 5 plain steels, 5 surflex and cable
Oil tank filter
Speedo cable
Sump Plate
Petrol Taps (?)
--

About the translator, well, i´m really trying  write whitout this help to try learn more and improve my english but sometimes i need to confirm some word, like ´disassembly´ or verbs.

I used google (http://translate.google.com/)

Here´s an example of the first paragraph by the translator:
--x--
LJ, para mim tudo bem não manter o tanque cheio mas eu perguntei porque estava tentando encher com as especificações do manual.
Quanto de óleo você costuma colocar nas trocar regulares?

Eu já olhei a mola neste final de semana e desmontei a bomba e o alivio de óleo.
Eu preciso trocar a engrenagem da bomba e sim, eu fiquei tentado a puxar a mola.
--x--
LJ, okay for me not to keep a full tank but I asked because I was trying to fill with the specifications in the manual.
How much oil you usually put in the regular exchange?

I looked to the weekend this spring and disassemble the oil pump and relief.
I need to change the gear pump and yes, I was tempted to pull the spring.
--x--

I´m far to write ok but i think I can make me understand... or not? :)
If not tell me, then i´ll start to use only the translator. hehehehe.
Usually I write in english then i try to translate in portuguese to confirm. If I can read
after the translation to portuguese, i assume that´s ok.

What a big post!
Regards!
-= DT - Loco =-
 -= SombreroS - SP =-

Offline Lannis

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 15.06. 2009 17:47 »
--

About the translator, well, i´m really trying  write whitout this help to try learn more and improve my english but sometimes i need to confirm some word, like ´disassembly´ or verbs.

It's all very easy to read for us English-only speakers, carry on as you are!

Lannis
1961 A10 Golden Flash
1969 A65 Firebird Scrambler
1955 M21 Commodore
1935 Matchless Model X Project
1990 Moto Guzzi California III
1983 Moto Guzzi 1000SP
1986 Yamaha TT225 trail bike
1966 Morgan 4/4

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor