Author Topic: Duff battery ???  (Read 1961 times)

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
Duff battery ???
« on: 13.06. 2017 09:02 »
Hi,
 So last night I noticed the battery was flat. I have a reconned dynamo putting out a good charge(lights brighten on revving) and a new DVR2 reg. The strange thing is when you rev with the lights on or off the ammeter will move across just into the pos charge and then stop and drop a little, then rise and drop again. Rinse and repeat. Does this suggest the battery is duff and the reg is protecting itself from trying to push a charge into a duff battery??
 After i got to work(13 miles) the lights were bright but I will check later and expect it to be flat.
Thanks for looking

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Duff battery ???
« Reply #1 on: 13.06. 2017 09:43 »

is it a lead-acid battery, and if so, have you checked the acid ? (don't touch the brown stuff)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #2 on: 13.06. 2017 11:11 »
Its lead acid and I last checked it 2 weeks ago. Its a few years old and I tested the lights an hour after arriving at work and the headlight is very very dim :(

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 13.06. 2017 11:20 »
2 years is as much as i can get out of a lead cell; my tip is it's gone to God!

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #4 on: 13.06. 2017 11:32 »
Yeah thought as much. The fact it's not holding a charge is indication enough. It was just the way the ammeter was acting that worried me a little. I just assume it's the DVR2 looking after itself rather that trying to push current into a deadish battery.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 13.06. 2017 11:37 »
My present battery (lead acid ) is now in it's 11 th yr ,still holds charge but only for a 2 weeks now ,I keep it on a drip charge ,is this a record ??  *good3*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #6 on: 13.06. 2017 12:01 »
Batteries are a pain. I have even tried some ups gel cell batteries and the bike managed to muller that in short order  *smile*

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 13.06. 2017 13:04 »
My present battery (lead acid ) is now in it's 11 th yr ,still holds charge but only for a 2 weeks now ,I keep it on a drip charge ,is this a record ??  *good3*

I've managed 10 years with a lawn mower battery in a V50. And that used to get stood for months at a time each summer with no trickle charge. Had to run the electric start as well.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #8 on: 13.06. 2017 14:25 »
Much depends on the make of the battery. I have had a tractor battery last 15 years yet a Yuasa on a Yamaha generally lasts 1 year. The battery on the A10 must be 5 years old and still going strong. There's no definitive answer to battery life. It does sound as though your one is stuffed though. The other possibility could be a dodgy diode in the regulator allowing some back current leakage. Not easy to test.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #9 on: 13.06. 2017 20:47 »
Coming back to the subject. Put a meter across the terminals while running the engine and the meter was all over the place. Again on the ammeter with lights on, they brighten with revs and then the charge cuts off, lights dim, lights brighten, cuts out lights dim etc. Is this normal for a dvr2  to act this way if say the battery had got issues????
 Anybody experience similar

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 13.06. 2017 22:24 »

Depending what end cover is on your dynamo, maybe check that the D /F connections are secure and not earthing out on anything.

I had a battery issue a couple of years ago because the 'F' wire had rubbed on the iner of my alloy end cover, which made it do crazy stuff.
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Scott and Jay

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 13.06. 2017 23:40 »
When my lead-acid battery was on the way out the DVR2 went too. I don't make a fuss about this because I realized my fuse wasn't the right one specified. In case it saves your DVR2, though - you might like to just replace the battery

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #12 on: 14.06. 2017 08:49 »
I will check these things thanks. I put the battery on charge last night and the lights are still dim so not taking a charge. Charging was worse this morning hardly any reaction and no lights brightening. FFS

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #13 on: 15.06. 2017 13:45 »
One thing I hadn't considered was the dynamo drive slipping (might explain up and down charging as speed increased). I will have a poke around tomorrow.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 15.06. 2017 15:50 »
When my lead-acid battery was on the way out the DVR2 went too. I don't make a fuss about this because I realized my fuse wasn't the right one specified. In case it saves your DVR2, though - you might like to just replace the battery

That’s an interesting call. My Nimbus came with a solid state regulator (not an R2D2) in the original casing. Because the bike had been on static display for some time I had to spark (or whatever it is) the dynamo to get it charging. About a year or so later it stopped charging again – no magneto so more serious. I found the battery was toast so replaced it, all was well again. However, being of a suspicious mind I wired in an ammeter and found it was charging quite profusely. I figured that in the interim I could manage this by use of the lights (rather amusingly operated by the LH twist grip). But then at the end of the DGR trip last year I lost charging again. The battery had failed.

So I now have a new battery and another solid state regulator. I thought maybe I’d fried it when I was sparking up that dynamo, but maybe it was the death of the first battery? 
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza