Author Topic: Duff battery ???  (Read 1979 times)

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
Re: Duff battery ???
« Reply #15 on: 16.06. 2017 16:16 »
Okay some testing done...
1. Dynamo drive/chain ok no slip or breaks
2. Dynamo wiring/brushes etc a ok no issues
3. Dynamo output 20+ volts rising smoothly(tested at regulator connections) its a 12v armature
4. Brown wire from regulator to ammeter/battery etc disconnected and tested
5. 4 volts max  *sad2* rising smoothly to 4v but no more  *conf*
6. Red earth cable from regulator tested with audible tone a ok
7. ? This reg is brand new so it shouldn't be a problem the last one lasted 5 years until this exact same symptoms happened. Sorry but it has to be said WTF.

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 16.06. 2017 21:01 »
Hi,
Are you running 6 or 12 v?
The DVR is specified for either a 6 or 12 volt armature (as far as I remember)
An internally shorted battery will damage the regulator or dynamo (or both)
When the problems started you should first of all suspected the battery, but continued to drive till something else failed as a consequence

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #17 on: 16.06. 2017 22:40 »
A dynamo can deliver a high voltage but minimal current. The sure test is to connect the dynamo F & D terminals to one terminal of a headlight bulb and earth the other. The bulb should light brightly at a modest rpm. Is this the case? If so, your regulator is at fault. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #18 on: 16.06. 2017 23:16 »
Hi,
Are you running 6 or 12 v?
The DVR is specified for either a 6 or 12 volt armature (as far as I remember)
An internally shorted battery will damage the regulator or dynamo (or both)
When the problems started you should first of all suspected the battery, but continued to drive till something else failed as a consequence

John
I only looked at the battery after the bike stopped showing a consistent charge at the ammeter. The dvr only comes in one type as far as I know and Mike at dynamoregulators did not  express any issues when told I was using a 12 volt armature. I had this same issue months agoe and then the battery was performing ok *conf*

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 17.06. 2017 00:36 »
Hi,
In normal use the ammeter should not show a constant charge
It switches on and off as the battery reaches the cut out voltage
constant charge means the battery is not reaching its designed voltage

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #20 on: 17.06. 2017 10:46 »
Yep I get that. This was the usual ' hmm why are the lights dim' and the ammeter wasn't balancing/charging to match. Also people telling the brake was dim. Then it started showing an usual symptom of needle rising with the revs just moving into charge then dropping back, rinse and repeat. Now no charge on the ammeter and with the regulator output wire(brown on the DVR2) wired as per Mike's instructions I am only seeing 4 volt output, steady,but only 4 volts. I will talk to Mike more but prob send it back for testing to rule that out, but with my limited knowledge of the black arts(electrics), I can't see what else it could be, I will prob wire another earth in just to be sure but that's clutching at straws. Also today I shall purchase a new battery.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 17.06. 2017 15:12 »

I think I can't be much help at this stage, having a stock 6Volt Genny and a mechanical reg (aftermarket RB-107/8), but am following with interest as I've noticed a more than usual + charge with no load on my ammeter/ 6.00V on the Vee meter, but settles back to neutral with a load. I left the lights on while parked for a couple of hours yesterday which didn't help  *dunno*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #22 on: 20.06. 2017 09:19 »
New battery in and all lights work as they should(when the old battery came out I checked the voltage 10.5 volts). The ammeter shows a slight charge when revved with lights on, prob the 4 volts I measured the other day  *sad2*

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 20.06. 2017 10:34 »
New battery in and all lights work as they should(when the old battery came out I checked the voltage 10.5 volts). The ammeter shows a slight charge when revved with lights on, prob the 4 volts I measured the other day  *sad2*

To clarify, are you seeing the needle showing a net discharge but it will move in the charge direction when revving? Or is the needle showing a net charge when revving with lights on (as opposed to the normal discharge when lights are on and engine on tickover).

Your 4 volts will not be enough to push ANY current "backwards" through a 12volt battery I reckon. To charge a 12v battery you need MORE than 12volts from the charging device.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #24 on: 20.06. 2017 10:43 »

To clarify, are you seeing the needle showing a net discharge but it will move in the charge direction when revving? Or is the needle showing a net charge when revving with lights on (as opposed to the normal discharge when lights are on and engine on tickover).

Your 4 volts will not be enough to push ANY current "backwards" through a 12volt battery I reckon. To charge a 12v battery you need MORE than 12volts from the charging device.
Yes it is acting normally at the ammeter. Just a little movement towards charge with the lights on and the same with lights off, but not alot as the battery is a new fully charged battery.I will be sending the DVR2 to Mike for as he put it a 'sanity check'.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 10.06. 2018 19:00 »

I came across this while searching for my own misdemeanors, did you have a positive outcome ?? If so please enlighten us  *dunno*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #26 on: 10.06. 2018 20:04 »
Should have updated I found a dead short at the main switch so when the lights were on it was shorting enough to affect the charging but not blow the fuse

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #27 on: 10.06. 2018 20:18 »
Or was that another issue.I think a new battery sorted this one. There have been so many issues they blur into one

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 10.06. 2018 23:50 »

Or was that another issue.I think a new battery sorted this one. There have been so many issues they blur into one

Yep I had a feeling there was something else in the meantime But wasn't about to go looking *conf*

For the record, on at least two recent occasions, my *new* light switch had the grub screw holding power from ammeter come loose or fall out....and also not contacting the poles properly- even after a dismantle and good cleanup as GB suggested earlier on.... *pull hair out* ....not to mention my ongoing battle with the reg- but that's not a story for here....

So long as it's up and running, all good (I'm sure well hear if otherwise  *smile*)

Australia

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #29 on: 11.06. 2018 07:09 »
Check out the crank shinning and wet sumping threads for the latest drama *sad2*