Author Topic: Parts for a A7 motor?? RB, cases, any old damaged parts????  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
I am piecing together parts out of what I have from old shop inventory,, the 52 Plunger A10 is coming along as well as the 51 Rigid A7-A10 project and some of my singles.

I have an early cast iron head that should be for a long stroke A7 motor as well as a cyl.  The flange appears std thin flange style..  While It is very unlikely I will build a A7 early style motor, I would LIKE to build up a display engine for use of our museum as well as events.

If someone was super needy and in dire need of these parts I could be possibly talked into a sale or perhaps a trade, but my desire is a display engine.  The cyl is much smaller than the case opening in several semi unit A10 engine cases, Bolts/studs dont seem to line up at all.

If anyone has any great insights into this top end let me know but otherwise here is what I would like to do.  Beg-borrow-or steal a set of early A7 cases, timing cover and rocker box that is too far gone to restore, or damaged in some way.  Knackered, cracked, blown up,, worn out. Can even have holes in it where the rod exited the building.  If you have parts to make this happen PM me.  Dont need internals so much,,, just the external parts
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline vinver

• Moving Up
I may have some of what you want, of course you need both a front and rear rocker box as they are separate on the long strokes. I'm in Canada so shipping costs may be a deal killer if you can't locate any local. I'll look through my parts boxes.
1948 A7- the perpetual 25 year restoration.  1954 A10 , 1957 Ariel Huntmaster

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
What part of Canada??? I get up to BC from time to time, And know a few Canadians who come to the US a lot for vacations.  Another local guy from Ontario I think it is visits back up there several times per year.
I doubt there is a lot of demand for the cyl and head, but the rest of the parts dont come up often either.  If I could piece enough parts together without spending a fortune, it would make at least a nice display motor for vintage events around here.  I am putting together some other display motors as well from damaged parts...
Let me know what you come up with,.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Sorry Sluggo, not for me!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
 Words cannot describe,

and time will not erase,

the sacrilege I have seen with these eyes.
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
Well dont be too harsh, Loads of people enjoyed the cutaway transmission made from scrap parts at the Norton INOA rally last year. Most everyone stopped by my friend Ken Armanns space to check it out and fiddle with it, turn the gears etc.  Great learning tool (Plus Ken is a great source of knowledge and often gives tech sessions. (Ask for his acupuncture needle & Amal carb idle jet cleaning tool)
But in all seriousness, who wouldnt want to pull a wee dram from a Norton or BSA beer dispenser?
(made with scrap parts again)  When I was a member of the NWNO (regional Norton club) the motto unoffically was "Ride hard-pee often"
But  I have a friend up on Whidby Island in Washington who is a fanatical collector of all kinds of British bikes and for years as a bachelor was known to have lots of motorcycle stuff in the house as well as out in the sheds.
When my wife I first visited him 20 + years back he was restoring 2 1966 Triumph Bonnies (one a TT) in his dining room/kitchen as the barn/shed was too cold that winter.  I used to LOVE admiring his Matchless G50 motor in the living room.  He was meaning to get to the chassis someday but the motor was fully rebuilt and gleaming. He made a stand for it and a adapter for a lamp bulb and shade and had it on the end table in the living room.
Many years later he was dating and then married a wonderful lady and we all wanted to know from her what was to become of the bike stuff in the house.
She told us that of course, the bikes had to stay outside, but she did say "Well the G50 motor, thats too beautiful to not have in the house"  So, we knew he found a keeper, and many asked if she had a sister.

Offline vinver

• Moving Up
I could probably build several bikes  from scrap parts; the economics of refurbishing and making them usable for anything other than static display would be beyond all logic. I suppose at some time in the future they will be the only parts of their kind available, but at this point, they aren't worth much more than their value in scrap. In most cases, I just can't bear to toss them away, so why not? I can appreciate the appeal of a static display, certainly more appealing as furniture and lamps  than my wife's choice of decor. And someday, somebody may see fit to decommission the art piece and make a valiant attempt to turn it into a running motor.
I have a WW2 Mills bomb grenade display piece that was once part of a lamp. Doubt it will ever be recommissioned...
1948 A7- the perpetual 25 year restoration.  1954 A10 , 1957 Ariel Huntmaster

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
I can assure you that people ENJOY seeing these sorts of static displays.  I am not suggesting taking a viable machine off the road or preventing one from being rebuilt.

But at our local museum people really find these items of interest.  When we set up a booth or display somewhere to promote our vintage clubs or the museum its these sorts of items that attracts people to stop in the booth, pick up a brochure and consider visiting or supporting these groups.  I would encourage anyone with worn out or scrap parts to consider donating them or making something yourself.   On some cutaway displays those attract more attention than the restored vehicles.  People love to poke, prodd, turn the handle or look internally.

I have a 1948 Famous James with the Villiers motor.  I love that style and resembles my Speedtwin or some of my  early BSA's and Nortons.  I need to restore it, but I have mocked it up in all of its crusty glory and taken it to shows including the local-regional
"All British Field meet"  See: http://abfm-pdx.com/2017

We tried to get as much motorcycle participation going, and some who attend are pretty dedicated.  I wont mention any names but 2 people I know have been characterized as
"Trophy whores" and they were highly annoyed and critical that I displayed the unrestored and crusty & rusty old Famous James.  One moved his bike because more people took pictures of the little James than his bike.

I was also thinking of making a display of "house of horrors" of blown up parts, smashed conrods and pistons and other bits.  I have a Goldie motor I bought for parts that was blown up by some local vintage road racers.  The rod let go and sliced open the cases and cyl.  I think it would be a great display piece.  Either a cutaway motor (already some of the work is done) or a House of horrors item.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
Meant to add, It is NOT an unheard of concept to put motorcycles and parts in a bar.  Lots of places do it.  But here locally theres several that feature motorcycles both currently and in the past.
"Good Time Charlies" is now gone, and I own some of the parts that used to hang from the ceiling
but it was kind of a seedy joint.  Many others around.  But one that is well known and has a steady stream of tourists stopping in is a place that has been open since 1902 and once was part of the shanghai tunnels kidnapping network.
See: http://kellysolympian.com/history/

For mandatory BSA Content, Note the large BSA signage and this BSA hanging from the ceiling.. I suppose you MIGHT get some oil dripping in your bangers & mash or on your Scotch egg..

But they dont just have a motorcycle collection, they have classic cars and race them.  Theres several upcoming races and good fun.  If you would like to see a very attractive lady wringing horsepower from a Corvette and blowing doors off a Porsche click here for a good video filmed at our local track.
See: http://www.hawthornehouse.net/      *Click on the image of the race car and Kellys Olympian racing*

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
If you want a serious cutaway, look no further...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

I reckon if anything can no longer be used for its original intended purpose but can be utilized in other ways is a good thing.

In the '90's we did community bike shows and e few guys made trophies from old parts
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Yes duTch, I've make my Clubs trophy's out of worn out or busted bike parts for years. Just picked up a ute load for the next ten years of trophy's.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7